Who Ignores Me?... let's hear your opinion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you want to have the 'Who Ignores Me?' feature (with names that ignore you)

• Yay

Votes: 72 66.7%
  • Nay

Votes: 36 33.3%

• Total voters
I like the feature. I know I don't feel any differently about the people who have me on their ignore lists now that I know I'm on their lists than I did before I knew. It can explain why there is no response where one would normally think there should be one (although many people ignore other people without an ignore list too). Mostly though I just like it because it's fun, and I come here because I enjoy the place, so fun, to me, is good. And I also think once a week or so has passed it won't be a big deal anymore. :shrug:

My advice (unsolicited :wink: ) to those who might be upset to find who is ignoring them is not to look. And my advice (also unsolicited) to those who find the ignore feature useful is to use the damned thing and not worry about what the people you have found the need to ignore (for whatever reason) think of you.

It's a moot point for me now, but before I became a mod I never personally used the ignore feature nor felt any need to, and I'm sure I still wouldn't. That said, after reading through all the threads on this topic, I think the people who are opposed to 'who ignores me' have the strongest argument. It's simply reality that there are many people on here for whom the ignore feature has proved very beneficial (to them and others...me included) in keeping themselves from getting into thread-derailing squabbles with people they can't stand, or who from their POV always pick on friends they then feel they should defend, or who just in general agitate them so much that it poisons the social experience for them, even when they're not confrontational enough to come out and say so. And for many who do feel this way, the face-saving privacy of the ignore function--that you can spare yourself that friction without having to 'make a statement' over it--is a major part of its appeal. I'm seriously concerned that a lot of people for whom the ignore function helps keep their browsing here constructive and enjoyable will no longer feel comfortable using it if they know some of the people on their list will be able to see that they're on it. You may personally find that baffling or silly or 'weak', and fine, you're welcome to that opinion, but from my POV, if we're going to offer the ignore feature to begin with, it's a non-negotiable reality that keeping it wholly private will be critical to motivating some people to use it.

The only reasonably strong argument I've seen from the other end is that it 'clears some things up' to see who has you on ignore. I can understand that; while no one can put me on ignore, there are a couple people who I've stopped directly responding to, because it's pretty clear to me that they refuse to acknowledge my posts (not 'as a mod'--I'm talking ordinary discussions here) for some reason or another, and I can see where it might've been nice if it had been clear to me from the beginning that I was wasting my time trying to engage them. But really, no one ever has an obligation to respond to you anyway (unless you're a mod addressing them in that capacity)--they don't 'owe' you an explanation for nor an acknowledgment of that, and if they are deliberately ignoring you, it could just as easily be without the use of the ignore function. The notion that people might 'change their behavior' if they saw who had them on ignore doesn't strike me as likely at all. If you're the sort who regularly riles enough people to have accumulated a large 'who ignores me' list, chances are you don't give a crap anyway, and if it's a small one, A) you have no idea why they're ignoring you, it might be something benign and random, and B) what exactly would you do about it, anyhow? They can't see your posts after all, and contacting them privately, if that's even possible, is probably more likely to provoke defensiveness or evasiveness than anything else.

I just can't see the benefits of this outweighing the negatives.

Last edited:
Picture1.png

It looks like this.

Doozer61 said:
i am dying to know who my 1 person is! :banghead:

If you had been here for the few hours the feature was turned on you would know. That will teach you to have a life outside of Interference! :wink:

Last edited:
I voted Nay......it would be a tit for tat game, peeps will put other peeps on ignore 'cause they had them on ignore first....then there would be gangin-up on each other as so-and-so's buddy got ignored by so-and-so and then everyone will be ignoring everyone and no posts will be read or seen.

If peeps are getting paranoid maybe they should do what Justin did and start a thread titled "Who has a f***ing problem with me?" and let hell loose.....that would be so much more fun.

This reminds me of updating my ignore list.....need to add some more on:hmm:

^ Well, just checking out my "buddy" list makes me feel a little "un-loved".....I do appreciate the buddies i do have , don't get me wrong but some of you and some of your buddies, and then some of your buddies.... have like....heaps!

This is because i don't have a whopper "buddy" list, no doubt....if i add more "buddy's"....i get more "buddy's".....I don't even really like how one can check out if you are on someone else's "buddy" list, i think it can be just as bad as seeing if you are on someone's ignore list.

Is this forum about who is popular and who is not?

I don't ingore anyone. :flirt:

Actually, I do...I just don't put anyone on a list so they can't tell if I'm ignoring them or not. And then I make sure to tell everyone I don't ignore anyone.

Drives 'em crazy. Which is, of course, what makes it so much fun. :D

Back
Top Bottom