recent ban. - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Inside Broadcast
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-23-2002, 11:44 PM   #31
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
SkeeK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 4,163
Local Time: 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by mug222:
Since you're adamant that this isn't a warning, and since you refuse to name the newly banned (therefore making this post the courtesy post you have designated it), this announcement comes across as nothing more than a flexing of your administrative muscle.
Good point. Really what is the point of saying that someone was banned and not saying who? The only message it carries if we don't know who it was is that we shouldn't do things like that or we ourselves will be banned. Hence it appears to be a sort of warning. Does that make sense or am I missing something?

PS, I really don't see the point in censoring *******'s name, it makes it seem like there's some gigantic cover up going on.

[This message has been edited by SkeeK (edited 03-23-2002).]
__________________

__________________
SkeeK is offline  
Old 03-24-2002, 03:05 AM   #32
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun
 
Lemonite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Notre Dame, IN, 46556
Posts: 1,072
Local Time: 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis:

Ignorance => Fear => Hate => Violence
Sweet.. Is this a take off of the good ol' Yoda line from 'TPM'?.. Well done..

L.Unplugged
__________________

__________________
Lemonite is offline  
Old 03-24-2002, 03:12 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
sulawesigirl4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,416
Local Time: 02:53 AM
__________________
sulawesigirl4 is offline  
Old 03-24-2002, 07:28 AM   #34
Thom's Bitch
 
bono_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,287
Local Time: 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SkeeK:
Good point. Really what is the point of saying that someone was banned and not saying who? The only message it carries if we don't know who it was is that we shouldn't do things like that or we ourselves will be banned. Hence it appears to be a sort of warning. Does that make sense or am I missing something?

PS, I really don't see the point in censoring *******'s name, it makes it seem like there's some gigantic cover up going on.

[This message has been edited by SkeeK (edited 03-23-2002).]
Yeah totally agree.

not to get involved here but, seeing the 'offence' wasnt forum-based but rather chat-based, couldn't another form of action have been sort rather than ban him from the forum. he had behaved well in here and maybe doesnt deserve that. isnt there another option?

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimson sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."
__________________
bono_man is offline  
Old 03-24-2002, 12:14 PM   #35
Creator of the Blue Crack
 
Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 4,008
Local Time: 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SkeeK:
[B}The only message it carries if we don't know who it was is that we shouldn't do things like that or we ourselves will be banned. Hence it appears to be a sort of warning. Does that make sense or am I missing something?[/B]
I understand how you may feel about this, but unless you have decided to have a campaign of hate against myself, Interference.com, or other members of 'Team Interference' and exhibit it by viciously slandering the individual/site, you won't have anything to worry about.

People like this sometimes have made me not even want to run the site anymore. Why should I tolerate someone that has such a campaign against myself and my site, being a hypocrite and using it? This person blantantly thought it was funny to cause trouble, so much that he bragged about it in his profile with comments like 'is chatspionage a word?'.

If anyone here has such hate for me, I can suggest three things:
1) email me - lets resolve this - I am not the big bad wolf
2) get over it
3) leave

Personally, I'd prefer choice #1, discussing and resolving conflict is always the best way. I'm a VERY understanding and diplomatic person. But if someone decides to skip all three of those choices, they back me into a corner and force me to react.

I run this site for a reason: I want U2 fans to have fun and interact with each other, not to mention... I've provided services to the online U2 community for almost 6 years now - I'd like to continue enjoying it.


------------------
-Elvis
http://plot180.net/taol/
elvis@interference.com
__________________
Elvis is offline  
Old 03-24-2002, 07:28 PM   #36
Banned
 
TheU2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: SI, NY, USA
Posts: 1,189
Local Time: 07:53 AM
DB9?

CK
__________________
TheU2 is offline  
Old 03-24-2002, 07:30 PM   #37
Banned
 
TheU2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: SI, NY, USA
Posts: 1,189
Local Time: 07:53 AM
Nevermind I got confused.

CK

[This message has been edited by TheU2 (edited 03-24-2002).]
__________________
TheU2 is offline  
Old 03-24-2002, 08:27 PM   #38
Refugee
 
Flaming Friar Sr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 1,748
Local Time: 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis:
I understand how you may feel about this, but unless you have decided to have a campaign of hate against myself, Interference.com, or other members of 'Team Interference' and exhibit it by viciously slandering the individual/site, you won't have anything to worry about.
that is not true. i got banned twice over nothing. the first time was over a joke (in which i distributed one password for everybody to share) which i to some level could understand. apparantly that is a big no, no. i didn't know at that time, but all right (a warning should have been enough). but the second time was ridiculous. i posted four messages in about 12 minutes time that were slightly u2-related. but u2 wasn't the main subject. result: immediate ban. no reply or thread closing. nothing. ban.

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis:
If anyone here has such hate for me, I can suggest three things:
1) email me - lets resolve this - I am not the big bad wolf
well elvis, i really don't hate you i think you're doing a great job. but what you're saying here is also not my experience. when i got banned the first time i did send you a polite e-mail on which you did respond. you even said that you were thinking on posting some of my letter for everybody to read and asked me if that was all right. i immediately responded that it was all right. you had e-mailed me that you'd re-install my usernames and that i could post again. but after that i heard nothing more from you. for about three months i send you every two weeks an e-mail asking for your reaction and asking for you to lift my ban. because you promised you'd do that. but no reaction at all. never. months i could not post. that is until i got a new ip address. i really never understood why you ditched me like that.

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis:
I run this site for a reason: I want U2 fans to have fun and interact with each other, not to mention... I've provided services to the online U2 community for almost 6 years now - I'd like to continue enjoying it.
and i'm very grateful for that. this place rocks!!!



------------------
~stadtmueller
__________________
Flaming Friar Sr is offline  
Old 03-24-2002, 10:34 PM   #39
Creator of the Blue Crack
 
Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 4,008
Local Time: 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Flaming Friar Sr:
and i'm very grateful for that. this place rocks!!!

I was addressing the threat of being banned for the reasons of slander, none else.

There are other ways to have an account terminated, and/or to be banned.

I also am not the sole person that has ever been responsible for initial bans on this forum. Something to keep in mind also is that sometimes a ban is issued temporarily, to calm a person or situation down, and to simply bring a quick end to an unwelcomed situation.

I will admit that in the past, there had been a few situations in which I just walked away from them without another thought - I'm not a fan of stress.

Here is a taste of my philosophy...
Human beings are gifted with consciousness and reason, and as in most modern societies are expected to use those gifts. They are also held accountable for their actions, and often reactions. Occasionally someone makes a choice that they don't properly analyze, sometimes that choice is the wrong choice. Whether that person knew prior that their choice was 'wrong' or not, they are still held accountable for their actions. The Internet, I feel, is no different. Interference.com and Feedback are no different in that respect either. Upon registering to this forum, and becoming a member of this community, each person is assumed to be a conscious and reasonable person, and likewise each person has the undesired opportunity to prove otherwise. Myself, admins, and mods are not here to teach right from wrong, only to keep the forum thriving in the best interest of the community as a whole, and the site. At times we may error, like anyone else, and for this I apologize, as I'd expect any reasonable person to do.

------------------
-Elvis
http://plot180.net/taol/
elvis@interference.com
__________________
Elvis is offline  
Old 03-24-2002, 11:36 PM   #40
Mr. MacPhisto's Whiney Wench
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: the open space of my bed
Posts: 275
Local Time: 07:53 AM
It aint me.
__________________
RufusYoungblood is offline  
Old 03-24-2002, 11:36 PM   #41
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
SkeeK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 4,163
Local Time: 02:53 AM
I think you should at the very least respond to the emails of the for some reason unnamed user in question. As well as adressing the issue of the potentially confused people attending the same school who might want to access interference. That seems a bit much.
__________________
SkeeK is offline  
Old 03-24-2002, 11:46 PM   #42
Creator of the Blue Crack
 
Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 4,008
Local Time: 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SkeeK:
I think you should at the very least respond to the emails of the for some reason unnamed user in question. As well as adressing the issue of the potentially confused people attending the same school who might want to access interference. That seems a bit much.
2 emails.
one: containing one word.
two: a question of allowing him access.

I see no conciousness or reason in either, no apology, and no responsibility. At this point, I don't expect it, nor do I desire it. Only thing I see is asking someone he hates for access to something he loves.
Life sucks. He made his own choices (see my previous reply on my philosophy).

__________________
Elvis is offline  
Old 03-25-2002, 02:06 PM   #43
War Child
 
Vorsprung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 976
Local Time: 08:53 AM
Please please please let it be Mr. MacPhisto!!!!!!!

------------------
Vorsprung durch Technik
__________________
Vorsprung is offline  
Old 03-26-2002, 02:38 AM   #44
New Yorker
 
brettig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: heehee, ask george
Posts: 3,194
Local Time: 02:53 AM
Well in case anyone wondered, the ban was on me. Elvis and i have reached a resolution and im thankful to him for being reasonable in helping to end the standoff we were having. On my part, ive promised to end my 'smear campaign' against Elvis, and to deal with him over any complaints i may have in future. Bottom line is i do appreciate the Feedback community and have done for a long time.

Now let's hope life (and cricket threads!) can resume as per normal.
__________________
brettig is offline  
Old 03-26-2002, 02:40 AM   #45
Creator of the Blue Crack
 
Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 4,008
Local Time: 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by brettig:
Well in case anyone wondered, the ban was on me. Elvis and i have reached a resolution and im thankful to him for being reasonable in helping to end the standoff we were having. On my part, ive promised to end my 'smear campaign' against Elvis, and to deal with him over any complaints i may have in future. Bottom line is i do appreciate the Feedback community and have done for a long time.

Now let's hope life (and cricket threads!) can resume as per normal.
Well said



------------------
-Elvis
http://plot180.net/taol/
elvis@interference.com
__________________

__________________
Elvis is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com