Premium Membership Update - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Inside Broadcast
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2008, 02:51 AM   #91
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicy View Post
I actually like not having to monitor signatures anymore. It was really a pain to have to pay attention to everyone's sigs on top of everything else we have to pay attention to. Not to mention we'd always get pm's like 'How come so and so gets to have this huge sig and you told me I had to change mine'. I think the new way is best, plus then the members dont have to worry about having to resize it to fit a certain dimension. The system does it for you. I'm sure Andy can eventually figure out a way to make the last fm stuff work.
Okay, can mods override the new system. Could Last.FM sigs be added manually by mods, for users who want to have them? It's more work, but it could be done at the chosen pace of the mods, via a request thread.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:22 AM   #92
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 10:32 PM
The way the system's software is set up, it will not 'update' the last fm information so no right now that's not possible, otherwise I wouldn't mind doing that.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:24 AM   #93
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Gettin' hot in a photobooth....livin it up in Ikeaville
Local Time: 02:32 AM
Until a solution is found, maybe you could put it in your journal?
Old 10-22-2008, 11:27 AM   #94
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~BrightestStar~ View Post
Until a solution is found, maybe you could put it in your journal?

Unacceptable, I don't want to have to go searching journals to know what people are listening to. I think a thread is in order...I know we have a what are you listening to NOW thread, but not one that says what are the LAST FEW songs you've listened to THESE PAST FEW MINUTES.

Know wha' ah mean love?
Old 10-22-2008, 04:00 PM   #95
Fan & Taper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
i'm not 100% on this, but i think anyone can post an attachment, but only premiums can see them.
Thanks for the answer, but that is completely backwards to what it should be. (I run a vBulletin board with a "premium" membership too)

It should be Premium can attach, anyone can see. I understand the argument that it takes bandwidth to view them, but by limiting it to Premium people, you make it a desired feature so they don't need external hosting. But when a Mod/Andy wants to show people a feature/screenshot/whatever, you limit who can see it.
And the really storage/bandwidth is only being CAUSED by the premium members then.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:38 PM   #96
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
It should be Premium can attach, anyone can see.
This makes sense actually. I'll bring this up to Andy.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:20 PM   #97
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:32 AM
Quote:
This makes sense actually. I'll bring this up to Andy.
http://www.u2interference.com/forums...ts-189415.html

Old 10-30-2008, 07:53 AM   #98
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:02 PM
I really appreciate the ad-free thing, although there's one thing I mentioned in a Stuck in a Moment thread that I'd like to see some thinking about:

Quote:
I paid $37 for an account and I still can't edit my posts an hour or so after making them, whereas I can do this on other forums for free.

HELP
I really don't understand why we're incapable of doing this. It can be very useful, and I've never seen any problems with it on other forums. I mean, unless it's tradition or something.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:17 AM   #99
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
I really appreciate the ad-free thing, although there's one thing I mentioned in a Stuck in a Moment thread that I'd like to see some thinking about:

I really don't understand why we're incapable of doing this. It can be very useful, and I've never seen any problems with it on other forums. I mean, unless it's tradition or something.
Agreed. I hate looking back at a post I made just an hour ago and noticing an error. An hour isn't a long time at all. A few of the forums I frequent, you are able to edit your posts for up to 30 days after the posting date, then you can no longer edit it. I know Interference isn't other forums, but I don't see the harm in having a longer period of time to edit your posts. Wouldn't have to post again if you have another point to add to a debate that you think of an hour later, for example.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:47 PM   #100
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 07:32 AM
Well, in addition to that, there's a bunch of really old posts(from 2005/2006) that I wanted to delete a while back. I had to do this trough the admins. Is there a way to make us able to edit or delete posts that are older than, a year or so?
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:57 PM   #101
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
This discussion comes up often on the various forums I work with. Unfortunately this is a case where a few apples spoil the bunch. We have had repeated cases in the past where members go back and change things in a way that disrupts the discussions and ends up with members fighting about who said what and who changed what and when. It's a real pain, so unfortunately this setting (which has been in place for years) is going to stay the same way.

On other sites we have increased this to 24 hours or even 48 hours to let members go back and edit and it's worked pretty well. Only on one site was it abused during a flame war and then we had to revert back to the hour edit limit. The mod/admin team will talk this over (they are the ones who have to mop up the mess if it happens) and report back.

As for deleting old posts, you will need to discuss that with an Admin.

Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:51 AM   #102
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
This discussion comes up often on the various forums I work with. Unfortunately this is a case where a few apples spoil the bunch. We have had repeated cases in the past where members go back and change things in a way that disrupts the discussions and ends up with members fighting about who said what and who changed what and when. It's a real pain, so unfortunately this setting (which has been in place for years) is going to stay the same way.

On other sites we have increased this to 24 hours or even 48 hours to let members go back and edit and it's worked pretty well. Only on one site was it abused during a flame war and then we had to revert back to the hour edit limit. The mod/admin team will talk this over (they are the ones who have to mop up the mess if it happens) and report back.

As for deleting old posts, you will need to discuss that with an Admin.
I understand, however I think there's a risk to take with more or less every feature on a forum. I don't think editing a post later would disrupt a conversation anymore than an avatar change would get rid of the context in a discussion about someone's avatar. What I mean is that more often than not - in fact, pretty much always - editing a post later isn't going to turn out into the situation you describe.

It's unfortunate you talk about this flame war on another forum. I think Interference is the first forum I've ever been on without the feature of editing a post afterwards, and from all that time, I've never seen the feature abused. It's just taken for granted.

Deleting entire posts is a whole different cookie, though. That varies a lot from forum to forum, and personally I don't think that's a particularly essential addition.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:53 PM   #103
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

The mods have discussed this issue and we've unanimously decided that it would be best to leave the editing time as is. An hour is long enough to make changes to your post or edit any typos. From a mod standpoint, there are simply far too many cons and really no pros. We simply feel that extending the time would just open up a bigger window for abuse and/or disruption of the flow of threads. I personally have no problems editing posts for members for legitimate reasons, and I'm sure the other mods don't either. You can still contact a mod if you need something edited or deleted and we will be more than happy to help.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:16 PM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I totally agree w/Sicy.

If I screw up, I'll just use this handy smiley...

No prob.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:28 PM   #105
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 12:32 AM
Quote:
I personally have no problems editing posts for members for legitimate reasons, and I'm sure the other mods don't either. You can still contact a mod if you need something edited or deleted and we will be more than happy to help.
yeah, i just want to second this. i've no problems editing posts, and if you want me to close a thread, well, anyone should know i'm all too happy to do that!