Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Inside Broadcast
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 04:10 AM   #721
The Fly

Local Time: 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dmahoney10
Holy shit. Are all the angry people serious? The staff thought they posted a real interview, it turned out to be an Edge impostor, the staff figured it out and withdrew the interview, and you're all genuinely angry? Was that a CBS scandal comparison I saw? You all realize this is a fan site for a music band, right? That maybe, oh I don't know, it's No Big Deal and Move on With Your Lives?
I would agree if this wouldnt be in line with a lot of 'incidents' here at interferene.com. this all makes it look like the staff did it on purpose. I just don`t like lies.

Old 10-23-2004, 07:01 AM   #722
Babyface

Local Time: 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dmahoney10
Holy shit. Are all the angry people serious? The staff thought they posted a real interview, it turned out to be an Edge impostor, the staff figured it out and withdrew the interview, and you're all genuinely angry? Was that a CBS scandal comparison I saw? You all realize this is a fan site for a music band, right? That maybe, oh I don't know, it's No Big Deal and Move on With Your Lives?
The CBS comparison came from Elvis himself. The problem is that it didn't happen the way you just said. For weeks, any number of members and staff were raising concerns and valid objections over the validity of the interview and the poster, and they were ignored, shut down and ridiculed. That is why some people are so angry - they feel taken advantage of.

This is just a message board, no doubt about it. But a lot of people invest a lot of time - both as "staff" and as members. So see, it is a community too. And when you are running something this large, charging for it, and hold yourself in your promotions as being the biggest and the best, you have a responsibility to do a few things. You have a responsibility to check, double check and triple check when you purport to have the object of everyone's obsession right here in our midst. You have a responsibility to address valid issues when they come up - immediately. You have a responsibility to LISTEN to the very staff you've "hired" when they tell you that you are making a mistake and be absolutely sure you're not mistaken before you dismiss their claims.

We are now in the sweeping under the rug mode. I don't think we'll ever hear another word on it from Elvis. I believe he will let people continue to blow a gasket in this thread (which is no longer on any page but here - while the Need Donations! announcement is right there where it's been since it was posted) while ignoring the valid questions, as he has from the beginning. But see, it's narrowed down to 3 or 4 people now. So, it's ok if those folks go away. I'd bet that's about how many people took off the last time this happened. Acceptable collateral damage. In a month, no one will even talk about this any more - it will just be pictures in PLEBA and tour tickets.

Old 10-23-2004, 07:17 AM   #723
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:00 AM
Quote:
Acceptable collateral damage.
I would think that this time besides a few people leaving, there may also be many many more who will NOT pay for premium membership or hand out any more donations.

I know that my money can be better spent in the future, and I will not make the mistake of spending it here again.

And to the people that think we are so MAD at a simple mistake well they just don't get it. I consider that most of the staff should be U2 lifers, as in U2 is in your blood, it is not fluff. So they should have smelled the BULLSHIT immediatly. That is where the anger and disgust comes from, because it being a mistake just does not add up, so it appears that we are being taken as fools.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:03 AM   #724
She's the One

Local Time: 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by brook
For weeks, any number of members and staff were raising concerns and valid objections over the validity of the interview and the poster, and they were ignored, shut down and ridiculed. That is why some people are so angry - they feel taken advantage of.

This is just a message board, no doubt about it. But a lot of people invest a lot of time - both as "staff" and as members. So see, it is a community too. And when you are running something this large, charging for it, and hold yourself in your promotions as being the biggest and the best, you have a responsibility to do a few things. You have a responsibility to check, double check and triple check when you purport to have the object of everyone's obsession right here in our midst. You have a responsibility to address valid issues when they come up - immediately. You have a responsibility to LISTEN to the very staff you've "hired" when they tell you that you are making a mistake and be absolutely sure you're not mistaken before you dismiss their claims.
This is very well said. It's a good, clear summary of the problem.

I don't think Joel will answer the questions, no matter how many times he's asked. But I do think that his credibility is damaged beyond repair this time, and I think that when many people don't renew memberships, the reality of the situation will set in.

But I think Interference will continue to grow, and prosper, just not in a monetary way. The community is too large and too strong for it to whither and die.
Old 10-23-2004, 04:12 PM   #725
you are what you is

hmm, I don't agree

I think one day karma will bite this site in the arse
and if not karma then a couple of upset people who can't hide their utter disgust at being treated like complete idiots
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 10-23-2004, 09:35 PM   #726
She's the One

Local Time: 02:00 AM
We all have to make our own choices.
Old 10-24-2004, 03:41 AM   #727
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

the big shame is that this site is great
it doesnt rally deserve to die this way
Old 10-24-2004, 11:04 AM   #728
Refugee

Local Time: 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
But I think Interference will continue to grow, and prosper, just not in a monetary way.
Yes it will. Of course it will. All Joel has to do is threaten to shut it down (again) or slow it down to frustrate people into paying for supposed better functionality. I think that's what bugs me most.

Not that I blame the community folks for wanting be here, but Joel is so easily able to take advantage of it all and laughs all the way to the bank (or London, Ontario). Not to mention the laughing stock he has made of his staff and his members in the wider online U2 community.

So nothing will change really...excect you can be damn sure that after this, U2 and management - RMP is well aware of what's going on here - will have nothing official to do with this site. EVER.

And Joel will call that U2.com jealousy
Old 10-24-2004, 12:09 PM   #729
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by AliEnvy
All Joel has to do is threaten to shut it down (again) or slow it down to frustrate people into paying for supposed better functionality.
They don't call it blue crack for nuthin' he is the dealer, we are the addicts.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:50 PM   #730
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:00 AM
Quote:

But I think Interference will continue to grow, and prosper, just not in a monetary way. The community is too large and too strong for it to whither and die.
With U2 about to go on tour, I can't see it doing anything but growing, unless Elvis shuts it down.
Old 10-24-2004, 05:28 PM   #731
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

They don't call it blue crack for nuthin' he is the dealer, we are the addicts.
Ain't that the truth...I started an alter just to see what non-premium life was like, and I was cracking at the first attached picture that came up.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:58 PM   #732
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Schmeg

Ain't that the truth...I started an alter just to see what non-premium life was like, and I was cracking at the first attached picture that came up.

Oh, that is really pitiful! Funny as hell, but pitiful!
Old 10-24-2004, 09:35 PM   #733
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think this whole mess is hillarious now.
What got me a wee bit upset was the
holier than thou attitude of some in power. ( mods,staff, etc)
Like how dare us question the vailidty
of "Edge" and "U2" posting here.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:26 PM   #734
Babyface

Local Time: 10:00 AM
Quote:

I don't think Joel will answer the questions, no matter how many times he's asked. But I do think that his credibility is damaged beyond repair this time, and I think that when many people don't renew memberships, the reality of the situation will set in.

I think the day(s) of reckoning will come when Interference members start seeking out the mods here on next year's tour for the answers they aren't getting. I wouldn't be surprised to hear about some very angry confrontations. If there is one thing that ALL people hate, it's being lied to.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:55 PM   #735
you are what you is

I don't think this will be the end of Interference
but - let's face it - it's only a matter of time until something similar will happen again

if you keep pulling enough crap then one day you'll end up stinking so badly that people don't want to be anywhere around you
and that day will come

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Closed Thread