Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 07:53 PM   #346
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC

He/she/it posted a setlist with those songs added and Streets/Bullet removed.
But I think that was intentionally done as a joke cause there was songs there that they probably are not going to play again. But whatever.

Old 10-16-2004, 09:10 PM   #347
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:09 PM
I'm all about moving on from this at this point.

Alot of us are pissed off about it and I think we have a legitimate right to feel that way. Most of us will get over it. BUT we wont forget. The reputation and credibility of this site is down the tubes completely. Hell, Edge could actually visit someday. Almost everyone would doubdt it and flat out not believe it. You could actually get an exclusive interview, same would be true.

Its quite obvious that these "connections" that have been eluded to and almost bragged about in the past are not that well connected or may even be false. OR if they are, they were not checked in this instance. If so, WHY? Because you were pretty sure it wasnt Edge and wanted it to be true so bad you just let it go? We will never know and its obvious you will never say what transpired for sure. Its obvious you wont because it makes the people running this site look like morons, OR it will show that you deceived or partially deceived everyone here. Its just BAD any way you slice it.

What I find absolutely amazing at this point is that some of you (including Elvis) are eluding to a theory that the poster was Edge and is now deceiving us because they changed their mind??????????? You have GOT to be kidding me!! One word comes to mind. DELUSIONAL!

With that, I'm done bitching about this for the time being and hopefully for good (only if provoked to respond ). I'm still pissed and will be for a LONG time. But its not worth my energy any longer and I have done enough venting. I will come here for the good fans, certainly not for the content of the so called "news" here or the people running this place.

Old 10-16-2004, 09:25 PM   #348
Refugee

Local Time: 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by drealynn42
I have officially declared ThatGuy my favorite person of the day for his use of reason and rationality.

Your check is in the mail, by the way.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:37 PM   #349
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Room
I'm all about moving on from this at this point.

Alot of us are pissed off about it and I think we have a legitimate right to feel that way. Most of us will get over it. BUT we wont forget. The reputation and credibility of this site is down the tubes completely. Hell, Edge could actually visit someday. Almost everyone would doubdt it and flat out not believe it. You could actually get an exclusive interview, same would be true.

Its quite obvious that these "connections" that have been eluded to and almost bragged about in the past are not that well connected or may even be false. OR if they are, they were not checked in this instance. If so, WHY? Because you were pretty sure it wasnt Edge and wanted it to be true so bad you just let it go? We will never know and its obvious you will never say what transpired for sure. Its obvious you wont because it makes the people running this site look like morons, OR it will show that you deceived or partially deceived everyone here. Its just BAD any way you slice it.
You raise an interesting point here. Will things really be different now that this has happened? Is being misled by someone once and forgiving them any different than being misled twice by the same person and forgiving them again?

Over time people will forget and new people will join Interference, and the incident here in 2004 will fade into memory just like the earlier incident did. Even you were fooled by the impostor after being pretty pissed off about the previous hoax. I'll admit that though I was skeptical of "The Edge" at first, when I saw that you in particular believed it was him I temporarily put aside my doubts and believed too.

If something like this does happen again people will still get fooled, and people will still forgive. To say, "Okay you got me this time, but never again," is pretty disingenuous because that's essentially what you said the last time. I'm not singling you out here, really, but pointing out the general attitude I'm seeing here from some of the older posters. No offense to you personally.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:13 PM   #350
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy

If something like this does happen again people will still get fooled, and people will still forgive. To say, "Okay you got me this time, but never again," is pretty disingenuous because that's essentially what you said the last time. I'm not singling you out here, really, but pointing out the general attitude I'm seeing here from some of the older posters. No offense to you personally.
WTF? What EXACTLY did a say the last time? Please quote me please because I would like to see it. I actually supported alot of your view points on this crap. But to call me disingenous on something I have never said does piss me off. All I said was I was pissed the last time and I gave my reasons why I believed this time. WHO the hell are you to call me disingenous! Thats convenient to call me disingenous and then say no offense. BS! I would say something else but I would get banned. I guess your crystal ball tells you how I will react next time. F.O.!
Old 10-16-2004, 10:28 PM   #351
Refugee

Quote:

WTF? What EXACTLY did a say the last time? Please quote me please because I would like to see it. I actually supported alot of your view points on this crap. But to call me disingenous on something I have never said does piss me off. All I said was I was pissed the last time and I gave my reasons why I believed this time. WHO the hell are you to call me disingenous! Thats convenient to call me disingenous and then say no offense. BS! I would say something else but I would get banned. I guess your crystal ball tells you how I will react next time. F.O.!
Wow, you took that the worst possible way.

What I'm saying is if you felt betrayed by the site before and now feel the same way again, what will it matter if it happens a third time? I've seen a few people say that they felt terrible about what happened in 2001, and about what has happened now, and now Interference's reputation is really in the toilet, or somethng to that effect.

My point is that if something like this happened again, would it really change your opinion of the site to the point that you would consider doing anything about it? And if yes, why? Because it happened a third time? What difference would that make, really? Fool me once, etc.

I am really, truly sorry if what I wrote originally came off as a personal attack on you. That was absolutely not my intent. I was using the point you brought up to illustrate what I thought was a larger issue. Again, I sincerely apologize if you felt attacked by my post.

Please feel free to e-mail me at mcalvillo[at]gmail[dot]com if you feel my apology is insufficient.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:36 PM   #352
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

See, why rehash what I said before, its obvious you didnt read it. There were things that were different the last time this was done. But since you like to slap labels around and make vague all inclusive statements about things that were never said I will explain AGAIN just for YOU!

Last time Elvis never said the posts were legitimate. The posts made were vague and said nothing basically and ended within a few days. I thought it was misleading and it did piss me off. This time, official status was afforded and supposedly confirmed. There was even an interview claiming to be real. Can you see a difference here??? I figured since "official" status was afforded Elvis had double and quadruple checked the legitimacy. I also figured because how big this site has become since the last time he would not jeapardize its reputation. So I believed it was probebly real this time. Thats why it will be different for me if anything like this happens again. Is that getting through!!

Also, I never did let the prior issue go. If you really need proof, search my posts for the past 1 1/2. I have brought up the fact that Elvis did this before several times even before the Edge posts started this time.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:57 PM   #353
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:09 PM
Re: We interrupt the dead horse beating for this important message:

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

I didn't attack her at all. I stated that her position as a staff member ought to be reconsidered in light of her huge mistake. I understand completely that all of you are voluntarily contributing time to the site, but a shoddy voluntary contribution is a still a shoddy contribution. I appreciate that you are taking the lion's share of the blame for this, Joel, as you should, but a "professional" should have been able to thoroughly verify everything before publishing anything. That's what a true professional does.
(I'm not attacking you martha, you just happened to be the last one to say this, so I quoted you. Much of what follows does not pertain directly to you.)

Have any of you ever made a mistake on your job or in school or at home? (If you haven't, head on over to the pile of rocks...stoning to commence shortly! woohoo!!) If you have ever made a mistake, did you have to not only apologise to EVERYONE in the firm, school, home, plus all customers, friends, relatives, etc., etc., but also tell everyone of these people and groups every nitty gritty little detail? I really doubt anyone has.

Many people have said "well this is a business, and businesses do...blah, blah, blah...." Well...not always, and I dare say, not all that often either. An example: My parents both worked in the design development drafting department of General Electric Aircraft Engines. At one point in the 60's my dad was a "checker," (I'm sure there was a more officious name, but I don't remember that) which means he checked the other draftsmen's work for errors. He missed one...and when the error was finally caught, it cost over $1 million USD to fix. One fucking million US dollars, in the 1960's dollars no less. That's a lot of money, and it did cause him a lot of grief. But he wasn't fired (in fact he even came back to GE as a contract worker after he retired at his employers request), and he continued to get raises and promotions throughout his career. Not only that, but he also did NOT have to stand up in front of the entire company, or the shareholders of the company and be publically flogged. It was handled within his department, and then he went back to work. Yet this little blip gets blown up into some major conspiracy? It's just silly.

Various people wanted official confirmation from the powers that be on this site that The Edge isn't the real The Edge, wanted to know what happened, and wanted an apology. You have all three -- nope it isn't The Edge, the powers didn't verify the poster's identity thoroughly, and the powers that be on this site apologised. Some still want a step by step, minute by minute report of every single error made. And yet the vast majority of the people who want this breakdown state that they will never believe anything Joel or his staff says. Hmmm.... I'm sorry, but it seems to me that these are people who just like to cause trouble. I think you're enjoying the fray too much.

And yes I get to voice an opinion because not only have I paid my $12 premium membership fee, I also gave a donation for the server. So there.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sue DeNym

Folks, SHIT HAPPENS. Many people throughout history have fallen to far worse deceptions than this. The staff here made a mistake, admitted it, apologized for it...let's learn from it and move on.
Yeah.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:20 PM   #354
Refugee

Quote:
See, why rehash what I said before, its obvious you didnt read it. There were things that were different the last time this was done. But since you like to slap labels around and make vague all inclusive statements about things that were never said I will explain AGAIN just for YOU!

Last time Elvis never said the posts were legitimate. The posts made were vague and said nothing basically and ended within a few days. I thought it was misleading and it did piss me off. This time, official status was afforded and supposedly confirmed. There was even an interview claiming to be real. Can you see a difference here??? I figured since "official" status was afforded Elvis had double and quadruple checked the legitimacy. I also figured because how big this site has become since the last time he would not jeapardize its reputation. So I believed it was probebly real this time. Thats why it will be different for me if anything like this happens again. Is that getting through!!

Also, I never did let the prior issue go. If you really need proof, search my posts for the past 1 1/2. I have brought up the fact that Elvis did this before several times even before the Edge posts started this time.
I did read what you wrote, but given what you've written elsewhere it seemed to me that the most disconcerting thing to you regarding the last time was that Elvis had posted as Edge. The band status seemed to be a secondary and irrelevent concern to you. Maybe I misunderstood what I read, or perhaps you were unclear on what you meant at the time you wrote it. Regardless I feel that my original point stands, not necessarily to you specifically but to others I have seen expressing similar sentiments.

Again, I'm sorry that I made you upset.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:08 AM   #355
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
Well, I think one could give money here and also give money to other causes. I've given much more money to my church and to Amnesty than I've ever given to Interference.
Yeah...and I'm also pretty sure The Edge and Bono would like y'all to spend $12 on their cd also. I'm sure everyone here could find "better" things to do with their disposable income than almost any of the things they are currently doing with it.

And I'm already supporting a poor family (in addition to my own).
Old 10-17-2004, 02:02 AM   #356
you are what you is

Local Time: 07:09 PM
I am almost at the point of calling Elvis some colourful language myself just to check whether he hasn't just blocked me and that's why he he isn't able to read my posts and answer them
of course I wouldn't do a thing like that because all of us here are one warm happy little community

for the people who like to point out that we should be focussing on U2's music instead of this: your reason is lost on me
I can happily play U2 24/7 if I'd want to but that doesn't change that I won't let anyone treat me like I'm just so plain stupid
and that's what has happened over here the last couple of weeks to all of us
that we wouldn't find out what happened and that it will all just fade away

but I'm not willing to let another fiasco like this just fade away and pretend that weeks of being misled, lied to and ignored equals to someone just making a mistake for once in his life
it probably would be a nicer world if I could just believe this
then again I might end up buying some swamp land instead of proper real estate from some nice lady with a good story if I were that gullible
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 10-17-2004, 03:09 AM   #357
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:09 PM
Well said, Salome
Old 10-17-2004, 03:14 AM   #358
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:09 AM
ja
Old 10-17-2004, 03:30 AM   #359
War Child

Local Time: 04:09 AM
Salome: Hear, hear.
Old 10-17-2004, 04:40 AM   #360
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:09 PM
You go away for one week, and this is what you find when you get home!

I don't know what to think...