A Message to Our Readers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Angela Harlem said:

I speak from possible bias, but ego is not even close to a word I'd use for Johan. Blunt yes, power tripper never.

:up:

He just doesn't use smilies, that's all.

No more attacks on Salome, please. :mad:

Dreadsox said:
Why is the best explination for the entire debacle written by a fired MOD?

Doesn't that seem strange?

:up: It was worth the 13 friggin' pages to finally get to it.

I am greatly disappointed and saddened by the total lack of journalistic integrity displayed by Interference concerning the front page interview, as well as the numerous phony posts in the forums.

Fortunately, Interference, and any other U2 fan site for that matter, is made great by the warm and interesting personalities that grace its forums - not the fake news, fake interviews, or fake postings of band members.

I believe that Elvis is truly sorry for not catching this lie, but that does not make it any less of a discredit to the reputation of the web site and its staff.

I can honestly say that I will never trust this site the same way again for news or information about the band. The fact that many staff members were adamant and willing to stake their reputation on this issue is enough for me to make that assertion.

For a U2 fan site trying to be the best out there, this is as bad as it gets. I will continue to post on this site, but I will never look at it the same way again (and I remember the old skool interference.com, when you heard that distorted voice say "interference.... .com" when you loaded it up)

AJ
:(

teebee said:
It's just that, if you were to take people by the tone of their email, you'd guess that the operators of Interference did something so heinous that the law should get involved.

The tone? I guess I didn't make myself clear enough...so just because this is a silly message board financial fraud and misrepresentation are OK?

My feeling is that PM does not agree with you there. If they feel that the subscrptions/fundraiser and the hoax were a bit too coincidental, misrepresentation of the name U2 and The Edge is serious business for them.

That's the biggest reason we are not getting any answers. Plain and simple.

The fact that we are on page 35 in a forum that is mostly never visited- means alot. People are pissed about this. I'd like to see this thread continue forever.

So we never forget what happened to us on 10/11.

AliEnvy said:

My feeling is that PM does not agree with you there. If they feel that the subscrptions/fundraiser and the hoax were a bit too coincidental, misrepresentation of the name U2 and The Edge is serious business for them.

That's the biggest reason we are not getting any answers. Plain and simple.

Oh come on. Now you're spreading rumors. Let's ask a familiar question: Have you checked on this for accuracy?

If you haven't, then you should stop talking about it.

perhaps elvis should show the people who spend their hard earned money on his site where their money goes then.

ThatGuy said:

Since you had time to pop in and quash this silly rumor any chance you could answer some of the many, many legitimate questions raised in this thread?

Yes please.

Joel, you never have time to answer legitimate questions, yet you have "just enough time" to squash all these rumors about you.

Well?

Can you find the time in your busy schedule to take a few minutes and answer a few very serious, very pressing questions?

Remember, integrity, principle, and honesty are pretty damn important. Something I think you are lacking by your silence. :(

Moonie

Elvis said:
As far as everyone else here... I've briefly skimmed over the last couple of pages, as I'm at work today, and the personal attacks going on are NOT OK. Indra does NOT 'work' for me, let's stop another rumor or conspiracy theory someone is starting.

k, I take back what I said about Indra...but please Indra, respect the fact that others might have a different point of view than you and they have a right to say what they want to say.

Elvis four days and hundreds of posts ago said:
We are considering trying to put all of this information together, however all of us have been overly busy with dealing with this as its happened aside from trying to deal with our real lives and jobs at the same time.

So can we expect this sometime soon?

After all, you did say this:

Elvis said:
Time and openness will really be the only think that mends these wounds.

Time we've seen plenty of. Openness, not so much.

martha said:

Oh come on. Now you're spreading rumors. Let's ask a familiar question: Have you checked on this for accuracy?

If you haven't, then you should stop talking about it.

How am I spreading rumours? What I've said isn't news on here, just more specific.

In the absence of answers to some of the questions being asked, I am speculating and providing my opinion as to the reason since Joel's blatant side-stepping of the issues must be for a reason other than utter contempt, disregard and disrespect for the people who want some simple answers.

I'd hope so anyway. Probably not.

yes, I can understand why this wouldn't have the same priority as posting within 2 minutes of Don Smith's daughter for a couple of weeks
in real life I would probably speculate that the lack of answers have to do with being totally unwilling to unveil what you're hiding because it will only hurt your credibility even further

Last edited:
LuminousTimes said:

Salome is saying that Joel could somehow respond immediately when people were questioning the "edge's" posts indicating that they were authentic, but somehow he is now too busy to answer any questions or give any facts regarding the bogus interviews and the bogus edge.

(sorry about the major run-on sentence)

LT, AllBecauseofYou=Dalkey Beach=The Edge=Don/Jill Smith.

That's more in line with what Salomey said.

ThatGuy said:
AllBecauseofYou=Dalkey Beach=The Edge=Don/Jill Smith.

How bout:

AllBecauseofYou=Dalkey Beach=The Edge=fate268 ( @ atu2 forum)=Don/Jill Smith

This person definately had too much time on their hands.

Well, I've only been a member here at Interference - a non-premium one - for a few months, and I have to say it's a great forum you have here.

But this whole thing is upsetting. There is something VERY fishy going on here. All the signs point to this being a hoax, that some kid in Chicago impersonated the Edge. Well, if it were as simple as that, it's hard to imagine that the staff and Elvis in particular would be being as secretive and evasive about everything as they are.

But here's the thing, everyone here wants to know the truth, everyone here deserves to know the truth. And unless the staff of this forum/site are facing some kind of legal action for this, there is simply no valid excuse for not just coming clean right now. I'm talking right to the staff right now. Even if you don't know everything yet, just tell us what you DO know. Elvis, you were so very ademant, claiming you had proof that it really was the Edge? What is it? How were you so sure? Just say it. You want us to believe you and the staff had nothing to do with it, but the refusal to be straight with anyone about anything gives off a very different vibe. Directly to the staff, if any of you were in the know about it not being Edge, just come clean about it. Just say it. If any of you are at fault for this, just tell us 'we fucked up'. And if you're not at fault for this, tell us who is, to the best of your knowledge. Be straight, stop with this BS. I don't think anyone here is buying it.

to be honest with you, i know as much as elvis has already posted. believe me, i've got no reason to lie. i trusted elvis on this and to be honest...i still do. if he says he didn't know about this, i believe him.

Hi Elvis!

This issue is making me curious, and you haven´t been posting in the last days. I am sure you know what you are doing.

Please answer two questions:

1) (quoting Dreadsox): "I would like to know if the owner of this palce we love so dearly was contacted by a lawyer about this, because the vagueness of everything would be explained. This would be a better explination than what we have received so far"

2) What is the role of PM in all that mess? Did you have contact with them, are they informed, since when? What do they think of the fake in regards to marketing? Do they think it will help them sell albums? Or do they think its counter-productive?

Maybe I´ll call them up if I´m not too lazy. Haven´t spoken to them in a long time... but like I said, I´m really curious.

I'm going to post my thoughts soon if Elvis doesn't cough up.

That would be fun wouldn't it Elvis. So far I'm 100% on everything. Lets see how far I can take this before I have got something wrong.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
Hi Elvis!

This issue is making me curious, and you haven´t been posting in the last days. I am sure you know what you are doing.

Please answer two questions:

1) (quoting Dreadsox): "I would like to know if the owner of this palce we love so dearly was contacted by a lawyer about this, because the vagueness of everything would be explained. This would be a better explination than what we have received so far"

2) What is the role of PM in all that mess? Did you have contact with them, are they informed, since when? What do they think of the fake in regards to marketing? Do they think it will help them sell albums? Or do they think its counter-productive?

Maybe I´ll call them up if I´m not too lazy. Haven´t spoken to them in a long time... but like I said, I´m really curious.

I havent been on as much as I'm trying to catch up w/work, etc since I had been spending so much time here.

1) No.

2) No role.

2) No role, ok. And did you have contact with Principle Management, are they informed, if yes since when?

Last edited:
whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
2) No role, ok. And did you have contact with Principle Management, are they informed, if yes since when?

No direct contact w/this. We are incontact with RMP.

Since you are answering questions, tell me. When did you decide to change tack and agree to admit it wasn't Edge or Don?

More importantly, why DID you not ever say you believed me? It makes no sense, as you kinda knew all along. I told you. You knew. Yet you just wanted me shut up. Why? Answer this one please.

Angela Harlem said:
Since you are answering questions, tell me. When did you decide to change tack and agree to admit it wasn't Edge or Don?

More importantly, why DID you not ever say you believed me? It makes no sense, as you kinda knew all along. I told you. You knew. Yet you just wanted me shut up. Why? Answer this one please.

Neither of us KNOW anything, besides an IP address or two. Unless we have been sitting in the room, with the person, or persons, that have been behind this... we do not KNOW the truth. Even to this day, I am still finding out new information (as I recently told you in a PM), and yet.. still do not KNOW much more than a week, two weeks, ago. You have certain details, I have certain details, as do others, and most of them do not match up to make for certain that any of them are actually FACT... besides IP addresses, which dont ultimately tell much at all.

As I've already said, I still dont KNOW who it was posting, and I have just as much reason to NOT believe it was some 16yr old girl (with a name other than Smith) as I do to not believe it was anyone else.

While you say I 'KNEW', that is hardly the case. I just explained that we have KNOWN nothing, and while we did have various details, they all were leading in different directions - and this has become even more true in the past week (again refering to what I told you in the PM).

I dont believe it was a 16 year old girl in Chicago and you know my reasons for not believing any of this are based any more on IP. You stated numerous times you had proof it was Don and then Edge. It was neither of them, like I said. It will never be proven to be who you think it is now as we both know it is not that person.

I am telling you it ISN'T the person you think it is Elvis. I am as sure of this as I KNEW it was neither Edge or Don.

Let me know when you want more answers. But tread carefully, you can only bark up the wrong tree for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom