Week 35

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edge3

Refugee
Ireland :

Bomb : # 14 (# 11)
BO 90-00 : # 51 (# 43)
JT : # 72 (# 50)
COBL : # 40 (# 37)
Live from Slane Castle (dvd) : # 3 (# 2)

Results are in : COBL stays at # 56...Bomb just stays in top 50...# 55 album sold 5,045 so about 5,500 for Bomb...total est. UK sales now = 1,067,000 or 1,062,000 :

Albums -
Bomb : # 49 (# 39)

Singles -
COBL : # 56 (# 56)

Airplay -
COBL : # 24 (# 15)

DVD's -
Go Home : # 9 (# 5)
R&H : # 14 (# 17)

...sorry, wrong UK sales total for Bomb...total est. UK sales now = 1,167,000 (or 1,162,000)

Last edited:
Vertigo is nominated 5 times for the VMAs. I think that it could have a real effect on the Bomb's sales because the VMAs are seen by a lot of people all over the world.

Around the rest of the world

This is the 5th time I've looked at charts around the world that we don't always look at on this board. I only came across a couple of legitimate album charts...but the singles charts that looked "official" have results posted below. Many listed links to various country charts did not work...so this is far from complete.

COBL looks to be U2's most widespread hit for HTDAAB, besides Vertigo. I did not list details, but in most cases, COBL had either already been a Top 10 hit in most countries and was sliding back, or it appeared to be quickly on the way up. Several charts showed COBL as a former #1 hit. I'm sure this is also helping album sales in some of these countries, and I'm less convinced that mediatraffic is even 95% accurate with it's sales totals for HTDAAB. Here are the results:

Argentina
COBL 58 on Hot 100 Singles Chart
Vertigo 89 on Hot 100 Singles Chart (in it’s 42nd week!)

Chile
COBL 57 on Hot 100 Singles Chart
Sometimes 79 on Hot 100 Singles Chart

Costa Rica
COBL 39 on Hot 100 Singles Chart

Columbia
Sometimes 33 on Hot 100 Singles Chart

MTV Euro Top 20
COBL 10 on Top 20 Video/Singles Chart

Latvia
COBL 5 on Top 50 Airplay Chart

Sweden
COBL 11 on Top 20 Tracks Chart

Austria
COBL 43 on Top 75 Singles Chart
HTDAAB 21 on Top 75 Albums Chart
B/O 1980-1990 32 on Top 75 Albums Chart

Greece
COBL 16 on Top 50 Singles Chart

Poland
COBL 31 on Top 40 Singles Chart

Czech Republic
HTDAAB 66 on Top 80 Albums Chart

Slovakia
COBL 2 on Hitparada Top 20 Singles Chart

Lithuania
COBL 10 on Top 40 Singles Chart

Croatia
COBL 5 on Top 50 Airplay Chart

Luxembourg
COBL 9 on Top 30 Airplay Chart

Yugoslavia
COBL 25 on Top 25 Radio Play Chart

Malta
COBL 4 on Top 40 Radio Play Chart

Romania
COBL 13 on Top FM Radio Play Chart

Israel
COBL 9 on Official Top 35 Singles Chart

Singapore
COBL 23 on FM Top 30 Singles Chart

India
COBL 19 on Top 20 Singles Chart

South Africa
COBL 15 on Top 40 Int’l Singles Chart

Top Hits Online weekly top 100
COBL 21 on Top 100 Singles Chart
Sometimes 67 on Top 100 Singles Chart

Slovenia COBL 1 on the TOP 40 Chart (on Radio Slovenija) - (I think we only have airplay charts,because the single market here is weak)
btw i think it was also no. 1 the previous week!
kl

Re: Around the rest of the world

beLIEve said:

COBL looks to be U2's most widespread hit for HTDAAB, besides Vertigo. I did not list details, but in most cases, COBL had either already been a Top 10 hit in most countries and was sliding back, or it appeared to be quickly on the way up. Several charts showed COBL as a former #1 hit. I'm sure this is also helping album sales in some of these countries, and I'm less convinced that mediatraffic is even 95% accurate with it's sales totals for HTDAAB....

I'm starting to think that Mediatraffic might be as little as 85% accuate. I mean the Hit List world chart has updated & they now have Bomb up to # 32 with another sales increase to 62,500 - the Mediatraffic figure though can only be about 40,000.

Also Hit List now have American Idiot at 12xP (12M copies sold or shipped...i'm not sure) but the Mediatraffic figure is only about 9M. And X&Y is now 5xP (5M) but at mediatraffic it's total sales are nearly 4.2M.

Here's the link for the Hit List chart again :

http://www.geocities.com/inthitlists/albums.htm

Last edited:
i find it hard to believe that X&Y has sold 526k on Hitlist this week, and mediatrafic will have it at about 300k, almost half! although UK and US sales will be approx 45+85 = 130k, so i dont see how thye would have got 400k from the rest of world for hitlist.
i also find American Idiot a bit high at 12xplat. and bomb selling a lot more each week then on MT, although hitlist only have it at 8xplat, surely it should be on 10xplat with those sales each week?

Well, i sent an e-mail off to Hit List last week to ask how they compiled their chart but i haven't got an answer yet (same as ChargedVT) & maybe i never will - i mean their chart / web site doesn't seem particularly 'official' compared to mediatraffic.

As for Hit Lists sales for HTDAAB...well it's last 4 wks have been :

44.000 (w.32) + 51.600 (w.33) + 59.500 (w.34) + 62.500 (w.35)

So it should have now sold a minimum of 8,173,600 on their chart as it was 8xP in week 31 & i never saw their chart from week 1 - week 31 of Bomb's run.

Last edited:
...sorry...no...Bomb was 8xP in week 32 (not week 31) on the Hit List chart (& i never saw their chart from week 1 - week 31 of Bomb's run).

Re: Re: Around the rest of the world

edge3 said:

I'm starting to think that Mediatraffic might be as little as 85% accuate. I mean the Hit List world chart has updated & they now have Bomb up to # 32 with another sales increase to 62,500 - the Mediatraffic figure though can only be about 40,000.

Also Hit List now have American Idiot at 12xP (12M copies sold or shipped...i'm not sure) but the Mediatraffic figure is only about 9M. And X&Y is now 5xP (5M) but at mediatraffic it's total sales are nearly 4.2M.

Here's the link for the Hit List chart again :

http://www.geocities.com/inthitlists/albums.htm

Remember shippments from RIAA and IFPI tell the real story. American Idiot still has not yet reached the 3 million mark in Europe although I'm sure its almost there. Because of that fact, there is no way the album could be at the 12 million mark at the moment. I don't think anyone should pay attention to Hit List.

That´s no surprise. After all, U2 are an european band!!
I don´t have the numbers but I´m pretty sure overall U2 sales in Europe are higher than in the US. The last five albums (Pop, ATYCLB, HTDAAB and both best of), at least, have sold more copies in Europe.

VALE69 said:
Generally, Europe's response to Vertigo Tour has been very much betten than USA's response!

Re: Re: Re: Around the rest of the world

STING2 said:

Remember shippments from RIAA and IFPI tell the real story. American Idiot still has not yet reached the 3 million mark in Europe although I'm sure its almost there. Because of that fact, there is no way the album could be at the 12 million mark at the moment. I don't think anyone should pay attention to Hit List.

Except American Idiot is certified 3xP in US but it's actually sold 3.8M. Plus :

450K in Japan
over 300K in australia & New Zealand
over 500K in Canada
& huge in ROW

& it's also spent 43 wks out of 43 high on the Hit List chart (Bomb has only spent 29 out of 35)...but still 12M does seem too much...i mean can American Idiot really have sold 5.4M in ROW? :

3.8M in US
2.8M in Europe
? 5.4M in ROW ?
? Total = 12M ?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Around the rest of the world

No way it has sold 5,4 M in ROW.
Green day is NOT a very popular band outside the US.
Besides, if we all agree here that ROW sales account for one third of worldwide sales, 5,4 M is way too high an estimate.
My guess is American Idiot has sold some 10 M copies worldwide. Not far ahead of Bomb which is at 9 M.
Now, the question remains, will Bomb be able to shift 10 M by year´s end? If I´m not mistaken that was the figure for ATYCLB.

Either a hit single (a la Vertigo) or an unusual response to Vertigo´s third leg (in regard album sales) are needed.
I can definitely see bomb selling an additional 0,5 M in the next 22 weeks but 1 M? I dunno.

edge3 said:

Except American Idiot is certified 3xP in US but it's actually sold 3.8M. Plus :

450K in Japan
over 300K in australia & New Zealand
over 500K in Canada
& huge in ROW

& it's also spent 43 wks out of 43 high on the Hit List chart (Bomb has only spent 29 out of 35)...but still 12M does seem too much...i mean can American Idiot really have sold 5.4M in ROW? :

3.8M in US
2.8M in Europe
? 5.4M in ROW ?
? Total = 12M ?

I´m quite positive it hit the 10 M mark at the end of 2001.
Then, it went to sale an additional 1 M in the US riding the wave of the grammy success and the superbowl appearance. I guess the other million came from sales outside the US.
It doesn´t seem to be a strong catalog album seller though. Certainly nothing near the first best of. I guess this is the reason which explains the 2 million sales gap in favor of the latter.

ybird3k said:
ATYCLB sold 10M in its first year?, thats a bit high isnt it, seeing as its only sold 12M in total.

ybird3k said:
ATYCLB sold 10M in its first year?, thats a bit high isnt it, seeing as its only sold 12M in total.

Not at all high, albums sell most of their copies in the first year, especially these days when file sharing and CD burning have really cut into the sell of catalog albums.

Billboard Magazine reported in December 2001 that ATYCLB had reached 10 million copies at that point in time.

Well, i just got a reply from Hit List. This is what they said (make of it what you will) :

"world top 50 albums is compiled from the sales in USA, Canada, Latin America(Brazil, Argentina, Mexico), Europe(All countries), Asia (China, Japan, hong-kong, south korea, indonesia), South Africa, Australia And New Zealand.
The sales that are given on our site may differ from the real sales not more than a thousand copies."

Great news from Italy after the three concerts of the last week: seven discs in the top 100!

HTDAAB 17 (21)
THE JOSHUA TREE 58 (88)
BEST OF 1990/2000 69 (91)
BEST OF 1980/1990 70 (67)
RATTLE & HUM 77 (-)
ACHTUNG BABY 89 (-)
WAR 93 (-)

Back
Top Bottom