Miracle Drug is going to be a bigger hit than Vertigo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are they going to fit it into a commerical?

If yes, then you might be right.

If no, then you're dreaming. :)

what commercial is this?
i doubt they r going to

'miracle drug' has great potential to become a big hit, as does 'sometimes', but they need to really push the song, and get it on the radio

Miracle Drug is one of the greatest U2 songs of all time in my opinion and I also think it has the best shot at making a big splash on the airplay charts of any of the "BOMB" tracks.

Doesnt matter what they put out it really is bound to do nothing for the album sales unless the track wins an award at next years Grammys....when kids here U2 these days in general they turn the station till its over...sad but true.

Yahweh said:
Doesnt matter what they put out it really is bound to do nothing for the album sales unless the track wins an award at next years Grammys....when kids here U2 these days in general they turn the station till its over...sad but true.

Most people who buy records are not kids. The number of people from age 20 to 70 vastly outnumbers the number of buyer's under 20. The numbers are such that despite the fact that older music fans tend to buy less music, their overall impact on the market is greater than childern.

BOMB is already one of the biggest selling albums of the year, despite the fact that the highest single so far has only reached #31. A new single that gets heavy airplay will sell albums! Works everytime although with different degrees of success.

i hope they release 5 singles this time, worldwide. kite was not exactly a single was it? it was for the boston DVD i think... not sure though

miracle drug could do some business. but id love it if they released LAPOE. its so much better than MD:huh:

they should definately release 5 singles! every song on the album has potential to be 1.

I'd like to see 'Miracle Drug' next, followed by ABOY (in europe) and then COBL.

'Miracle Drug' is my favourite song on the album, and definately has the ability to be a bigger hit than 'Vertigo' in the U.S. because it will be popular on both the Rock charts and Adult charts. But for HTDAAB to produce another hit single, U2 have really got to get the radio stations to play it, otherwise any further singles will go the same way as ABOY.

But first lets get SYCMIOYO into the charts!!

Im not necessarly equating record sales to kids, but I do know that U2s fanbase in general falls in the area of about 20-45, and as there always has been also in that age range is a very vocal crowd of haters that try to make it embarassing for people to be a U2 fan. A radio hit can only help the cause but I can gurentee this if Sometimes doesnt become a big hit 4X platnum is all the album is capable of reaching unless it wins Album Of The Year at the Grammys.

Really what needs to happen is the people on sites like these need to give Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own a big radio push.

am in no way embarrased, am 19 and live in the UK, and it is no embarrasment to be a fan here, :) hence stadiums selling out rather quick

same here, i'm 19 in the UK too, theres always gonna be some people who have a go at U2 mainly because they dont like how popular they are. But U2 are VERY popular with ALL age groups, from kids to old people!

HTDAAB was at #1 longer than any other U2 album here (3 weeks), and also produced 2 #1 singles! and since the majority of people who buy singles are younger than 25, it shows theres no embarrasment to be a U2 fan!

Yahweh said:
Really what needs to happen is the people on sites like these need to give Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own a big radio push.

I'd agree with that idea......100 % % !!!!!!

Actually, I'd like "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" as
the next "HIT", over "Miracle Drug".....
As for "Vertigo", that WILL "continue" to be the first "HIT".
( I CAN'T SEE "Miracle Drug" taking over "Vertigo" as a better hit. )
I think "Miracle Drug" would definitely be a better "HIT" than
"City Of Blinding Lights."
I wouldn't want "City Of Blinding Lights" to become a "HIT" single... I just don't like that song!!! :madspit:
(Hopefully, they will stand up and take notice to this....since they
did make "All Because Of You" a "HIT" single, and we know how that "ended up".....STUNK BIG TIME!!!) Another joke song..:lol:

in the UK is pretty cool to like U2 for the kids aged 16-18 i work with about a dozen of people this age and they all love U2 and do not hide the fact! so maybe this might be a USA thing but not here in UK cus U2 are regarded as the biggest and best and the teenagers seem to know this as well

Im not talking about the UK though I am talking about the album going down from 20-41 on the US charts I am not worried about the rest of the world buying the album I know they will but I just dont think U2 has the large american fanbase they once had, I would be happy to be proven wrong but I doubt I will be. I expect the album to take another hit next week in the US charts down to about 55, then it might stablize for awhile after that due to the rock hall of fame and then of course the tour.

But in the end we need a big radio push in the US for Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own, this is one of the reasons Vertigo became a hit because of places like these.

i really don't understand your point? this album is U2 fastest selling album in the US, no other U2 album has sold more copies in its first 3 months of sales?

Yahweh said:
Im not talking about the UK though I am talking about the album going down from 20-41 on the US charts I am not worried about the rest of the world buying the album I know they will but I just dont think U2 has the large american fanbase they once had, I would be happy to be proven wrong but I doubt I will be. I expect the album to take another hit next week in the US charts down to about 55, then it might stablize for awhile after that due to the rock hall of fame and then of course the tour.

But in the end we need a big radio push in the US for Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own, this is one of the reasons Vertigo became a hit because of places like these.

In the United States, "BOMB" has sold extremely well, but has really slowed down over the past month. "BOMB" has sold 2.5 million copies in the USA after 14 weeks while Achtung Baby was around the 2.8 million mark after 14 weeks. It took Joshua Tree 28 weeks to be certified triple platinum in the USA, while it only took "BOMB" 4 weeks to do that.

If "BOMB" is to reach 4 times platinum in the USA in the same length of time it took Achtung Baby, 4 times platinum in mid September following a late November release the previous year, it will need to average 45,000 copies sold per week from now until then, in the USA. The album as now dropped down to 26,000 copies sold, but getting back up to 45,000 copies is not an impossible task, and if the album does this, it will then be essentially as big as any U2 album has ever been in the USA!

Sting, I recall reading somewhere something about JT selling 10 million copies in 1987 alone. Am I dreaming? If that's a real figure, what's that referring to? Because it seems a whole lot quicker than AB and HTDAAB's sales!

I think the initial few weeks of sales had a lot to do with the 3 different formats the album was realeased under and umbrelled into the sales that we saw of close to 900 thousand. Having said that I think it still would have outsold ATYCLB in the first week 2 to 1. But the album really needs another hit single, simple as that. I just dont have much confidence in the US consumer or radio market to make sure that really happens.

Axver said:
Sting, I recall reading somewhere something about JT selling 10 million copies in 1987 alone. Am I dreaming? If that's a real figure, what's that referring to? Because it seems a whole lot quicker than AB and HTDAAB's sales!

JOSHUA TREE sold 14 million copies WORLDWIDE in 1987. Of that 14 million figure, 4 million copies were sold in the USA.

HTDAAB has already reached the 8.5 million mark in shipments and has sold 7 million copies to consumers after just 14 weeks. If the current rate of global sales stayed the same until the end of December, the album will reach the 13 million mark by the end of the year. It will likely slow down a bit, and I predict it finish the year out with about about 11.5 million copies sold to consumers.

U2 needs to promote their singles. I expect a Sometimes performance during de Hall Of Fame and some performance on TV.

My prediction is 11,7 million copies by the end of the year.

Vox

Back
Top Bottom