The MMA Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a really weird main event. Neither of them are from OK (I was right to assume from Lee's nickname he's from Detroit, and wiki has Chiesa in Washington by way of CO). I guess they're both top 15, and I guess I could buy a story about Penn not wanting to main event/fight 5 rounds or something. :shrug: I guess it's not really that much more bizarre than Manuwa and Anderson. There were just nowhere near the well known names on that card to be like how's this one the main event then (and at least Manuwa is English? LOL).

I'm not sure I believe the Wandy Chael fight will happen even once they're both in the cage togethe.

Last edited:
Fiiiiiiiiights.

This is the first time I'll be able to go home, turn my tv on, and watch a card. Except that I don't get out of work til 5:30 and time zones mean that's at least in time for the main card, but none of the prelims (well, maybe i'll catch the last one since it takes me all of 10 minutes to get home).

Last edited:
So excited!!! Also, it feels so weird to me to be as out of the loop as I am going into this card. Usually the Fox cards are the ones I'm most excited for, since I would work on the Fox lead up show for them... It's weird to be have no inside info, haha.

Sad for Jacare, happy for Rose. Let's go, mighty mouse. kick mini brazilian charles barkley's ass

REALLY bummed about Waterson. Jacare, well, IDK, I'm done doubting Whittaker for sure now, though.

DJ is the GOAT...or at least the active GOAT.

The biggest takeaway for me from this Wineland Dodson fight is how fucking fast is DJ that he made Dodson look slow.

Also, the Diaz brothers & Gilbert Melendez are briefly on the new episode of Anthony Bourain's show. :lol:

Last edited:
I'm inclined to want him to retire before he gets extra old and makes everyone sad. I don't think he's 100% there yet, but I think he's not that far off. For that reason, part of me was glad Gastelum popped for weed and was pulled out of that fight, because that had the potential to be sad. And if he got his wish here, I think Yoel Romero is a much scarier possibility of that being the fight where things get sad.

The UFC have no one but themselves to blame here, though. They let Bisping clog up middleweight with the Hendo rematch, and it was okay because 1) everyone was still surprised he won the belt in the first place 2) who didn't want to see old man Hendo get that shot? 3) ok crazy fights that don't make sense are fun every once in a while, but surely once this is over with 185 can go back to a vaguely merit-based system of at least someone in the top of the division getting the next title
fight. Now it's being held up even longer because GSP. If you look down a few weight classes, to featherweight where any top contender fight these days seems to come with a belt attached, it's only reasonable to suggest the unreasonable--or what used to be unreasonable until they let McGregor foul up everything--where they put on an interim title fight while the actual champ is completely healthy but just fucking around where the money is.

Ultimately though, I think it's a bunch of talk that won't amount to shit. The UFC won't give him the fight, and he won't retire either. In a week, we'll all forget about any of this. The only reason it got any headlines is cos until 211, their aint shit going on.

Me in 1.5 weeks.

giphy.gif

I have yet to watch any episodes, but I mean to. I have no idea what was happening, but I saw some sort of GIF of him drinking alcohol and crying from the show this morning. I'm in.

Dear UFC 211, if you cancel any more fights, I'll burn down Reebok's corporate headquarters.

If you see something similar to this in the crowd tonight, it's probably me.

lol.gif

Last edited:
I feel bad for JDS' brain, JJ is scary, I was scared for Demian Maia, and just cos you smashed the ghost of BJ Penn doesn't mean you are gonna wreck Frankie--he's the guy who turned him into a ghost in the first place.

Some thoughts:

-My seat was awesome, pictures did not do it justice. Completely unobstructed view, perfect.
-DC was about 10 feet from me before the fights. 10 feet below me, to be exact. I also saw Cowboy, Chiesa, and Dana White in the crowd, which was cool.
-The Sherman vs Coulter fight got a standing ovation from literally everyone in the crowd, which was even crazier since the local guy lost. It was an awesome moment, probably the biggest crowd reaction of the whole card.
-The place went silent once the JJ vs Andrade fight started, not sure if that came across on the broadcast. It was obvious that people were super into it, they stopped talking shit and started paying attention. It was pretty awesome.
-There were TONS of Yair fans in the crowd, they seemed to take Edgar's win pretty well though.
-There were several drunk / high jackasses behind me talking about cartoons, Netflix, screaming dumb borderline racist shit. It was extremely distracting, but didn't ruin the fights luckily. I know drunk people at fights are a common thing, for whatever reason I didn't have anything like that near me at the last fight I went to.
-The crowd seemed pretty split on Alvarez vs Poirier. Tons of people cheering for Eddie, but when Poirier started taking it to him (which I went crazy over, I've loved Poirier since the Fightville documentary) people were cheering and going nuts. It was so disappointing to end like it did, particularly since the knees were illegal.
-I and one other person near me seemed to be the only people in the crowd who liked Damian Maia after the fight. I felt some animosity from people near me every time I clapped when Maia got a take down or took his back. I started cheering the few times Maia got the hooks in on a choke, literally everyone nearby turned and looked at me.
-I loved every fight except for Branch and Jotko. The entire crowd was displeased with that fight.
-Great night, tons of fun. Very tempted to go to the Oklahoma Fight Night card next month now.

Last edited:
Nice. I thought you said you grabbed tickets to OK already.

There were enough people at the bar audibly cheering against Maia that made me feel like "Demian Maia is one of my favorite fighters" is an extremely unpopular opinion.

Even though he's gonna use that Red King nickname, I'm glad to see nose not turned to mush again.

Who do they think is going to pay money for this card, especially after stacking last month's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom