The MMA Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And Brian Stann is leaving. The only good mma news this week apparently is that the Mcgregor Mayweather bullshit will finally be past us after this weekend.

:lol: And now I'm sad cos all this other stuff made me forget JDS got popped too, and that reminded me (it's funny as hell tho).

I will admit I am paying $40 to see Conor in an IMAX theater, 100 bucks at home was nuts.

I expected Rousey - Holmes to be a non event. I think there Is only about a 5 % chance Connor wins and 80 % Mayweather takes him out.

Jones is very disappointing, I guess D.C., now has a hollow victory.

Jones v Lesnor should happen, they can hold it in Cuba.

1. Last night's card was great
2. Last night's prelims sucked (aside from Green v. Vannatta)
3. The new Reebok fight kits are pretty awesome
4. I may buy a Mighty Mouse fight kit

1. There were more fighters on the prelims I'd heard of in 2 fights than there were on the 4 fights shown on tv.

2. I'm kind of bummed out that I didn't get to see Hurricane Helping Derrick Lewis punch Homophobic Werdum in his goofy ass face. Instead, Werdum choked out a guy no one's heard of and then acted like he just won the lottery. But otherwise the main card was good.

3. That armbar tho.

4. No really, that armbar.

5. Buffalo Wild Wings was packed during the CU Arizona game but by the time the main event rolled around, there were maybe 2 other tables of people there in addition to us.

6. Mighty Mooouse.

Last edited:
Last time we saw GSP fight, Johny Hendricks was still good.

I just got into a staredown with Yoel on the concourse here. Dude is intimidating as fuck.

Rose, a favorite of mine since her TUF days

I'm so happy for her

"This belt don't mean anything.
just be a good person." Rose Namajunas

Rose to Rogan: "I feel like a normal person, man. Just regular. Ain’t nothing special here."

Last edited:
I’m at buffalo wild wings and this place went off when Rose won.

I saw him win the belt in person.

I saw him lose the belt in person.

Life is poetic that way sometimes.

I'm pretty bummed but life goes on. At least TJ got his belt back. Still say he never lost that thing in the first place.

GSP winning made me happy. T.J. winning made me happy. Rose winning made me happy. It was a good card.

635538481020010771-rose-namajunas-1.jpg

Me when JJ lost

tIFlTn.gif

TJ winning though...that ruled. Cody is a total fuckboy and deserved to taste the floor as much as anyone.

Last edited:
I met Bisping this afternoon before the fights. He gave me a hug. Dude is awesome. I'm happy for Georges and all of his fans, really, I get it, if the shoe was on the other foot I'd be ecstatic. It was just so strange to see Bisping getting treated the way he was this week. All the booing, the Fuck You Bisping chant from the crowd, etc. The last two times I saw him fight, he was the good guy that everyone was cheering for. Even at 199 when we were in Rockhold's home state, he was getting booed and Bisping was getting the love.

I was hoping he'd retire after the fight. As long as he walks away and doesn't do something crazy like some of these guys (Hendricks for a very recent example) and stay far longer than he's able, fine, whatever. But I highly doubt he makes another title run. This one was, in itself, a fluke to begin with.

There's been this weird turn of seeming opinion on Bisping since he won the title. It was like suddenly the deal with him went from the most often called out cocky douchebag that could manufacture a beef (he came off pretty respectful and like a decent human in the post-fight press conference. I would not be surprised at all if 95% of the shit he talks is just shit and he's actually an awesome dude) with a potted plant if it was announced they were going to fight, to deserving underdog who knocked out Luke Rockhold (who no one really likes, and was being a cocky douchebag himself before their second fight) on 11 days notice while filming a movie. Sure he wouldn't defend the title against an actual 185 contender, but who didn't want to see him try to avenge the Hendo KO/watch Hendo have his last fight against someone who probably wouldn't kill him. Stuff like that makes people forget eyepokes or tendency to call opponents faggots. I'm sure it helped the underrated image when people started pointing out Bisping was a dude who really only lost to guys who have popped for PEDs, too. Combine that with recent nostalgia for the glory days where there were no Reebok or USADA, Bisping won like TUF 3 or some shit about 12.5 million years ago, he's a piece of that, love him or hate him it's certainly a lot easier to cheer for someone you've heard of than some of the randos who have been making their way onto ppv main cards lately.

I think if you ran it back to an alternate timeline where GSP never retired, went up to middleweight for that Anderson Silva fight they teased with for years, won and stayed there, and eventually came face to face with Bisping, in that universe I would have not only cheered for GSP but actively cheered against Bisping. After the whole recent sorta Bisping image rehabilitation thing, I just wanted to see GSP not 1) look old 2) look out of shape 3) look small for the weight class 4) make us feel sad about a comeback story like he should have stayed retired. I definitely didn't feel like the fact that if he did win, he'd be beating up a guy who I'd particularly like to see get beat up--that was Garbrandt, I wanted to see him get his whole shit wrecked and I was very happy to see TJ take care of that job.

*after the first takedown where GSP didn't do much and Bisping did what Bisping does and got back up, think about how much more value takedowns held when GSP was king.

Otherwise though, how's NY? I miss pizza.

Last edited:
New York is great. I was super busy with work all week so this is basically my first and only time leaving the hotel. But I'm going to sneak in as much touristy shit as I can tonight before I leave.

This was the first time I went out to the fights for work. Met a lot of people, had a lot of fun.

This fight card was, by the way incredible. I don't want to be a sore loser about it. Every fight was just crazy, except maybe mickey gall, but I wanted him to lose so I still enjoyed it.

And I was able to see my og favorite fighter get his belt back in person. In the two and a half years of watching UFC, I've definitely fluctuated on favorites and all that, but tj was the first fighter I ever watched. This was a solid awesome moment.

I went back and looked at some Rose videos,
I’ve been aware of the Pat Barry relationship, but never gave it that much thought

These two videos show a part of that journey

Barry and Rose are a great team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom