The National: Sunshine on My B&Ck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On Instagram earlier Matt said these shows "won't be normal National shows."

It's interesting that all five venues are similar in capacity and that they're all seated theaters rather than having a ton of GA space.

My Cherry Tree membership is already worth it. Snagged a ticket today for 7th row in the Beacon Theatre.

No idea what to expect from this concert but I’m looking forward to it! (Also, a new album just two years after SWB? That’s pretty damn fast for The National!)

53309047_10212434848897289_6979957008648634368_o_zpspxs8ubhe.jpg

Rylan :drool:

Wow. I feel like that's such a short time between albums for a band like this. Good for them. That's fucking awesome. Get it while it's good.

And the best part of the new song is the verse that Gail Ann Dorsey takes by herself.

The drums sound pretty great, too.

I'm not sure who this lady is, but yes, I definitely agree. I really, really like the song on first listen. Quite upbeat/poppy, but I really love it.

And yeah you're not wrong GAF about the timing, it feels like a very short turnaround between albums, particularly given they were still touring Sleep Well Beast in October last year. (Sadly, I fear this means I will never get to hear the title track from that album live.)

Looooooove the cover:

National-cover.jpg

And a huge, massive tracklist. 16 (!!!) songs! And apparently track times are out and it's going to be well over an hour.

1. You Had Your Soul With You
2. Quiet Light
3. Roman Holiday
4. Oblivions
5. The Pull Of You
6. Hey Rosey
7. I Am Easy To Find
8. Her Father In The Pool
9. Where Is Her Head
10. Not In Kansas
11. So Far So Fast
12. Dust Swirls In Strange Light
13. Hairpin Turns
14. Rylan
15. Underwater
16. Light Years

The album cover sure looks like it's by the same band that made High Violet and Trouble Will Find Me.

I look forward to Hard to Find showing up on the I Am Easy to Find tour.

Last edited:
Digging the new track a lot. Never really connected with their last album so hopefully this one hits me better!

Didn’t see this coming. Wonderful news, Sleep Well Beast really does feel super recent.

Not loving the first single much after a few listens, hopefully it’s a grower.. and my first impression of the cover (which I unfortunately can’t shake now) was that they were coloured strips of pig bacon floating around the person’s body.

The National: Sunshine on My B&Ck

Damn I’m enjoying this a great deal. Kind of a fun direction for them.

Anyone listening to the Coffee and Flower podcast? There are some great insights on Boxer, including from the band. Strongly recommended.

I finally listened to Sleep Well Beast because I apparently forgot it was a thing that existed. I didn’t want to be bored and uninterested in 90% of it, but holy shit “I Should Live in Salt” sounded amazing when spotify rolled right into Trouble Will Find Me after. Maybe that’s a bad example, I like that song and album. But Sleep Well Beast sucked.

Time to listen to the first album now, since I’m listening to all the National Songs That Suck That I Never Heard Before tonight. I just assume it sucks since that’s what everyone says.

Sleep Well Beast is a better album than TWFM in the sense that more of its songs feel necessary to me. TWFM could have easily lost 2-3 songs and I wouldn't have cared.

I Should Live In Salt is fucking great though, like most of the album.

Yeah I’m not saying I love everything about Trouble Will Find Me, but there’s stuff I like on it quite a bit. Sleep Well Beast just bored me on everything that wasn’t Turtleneck or one other song I can’t even remember the name of. The album as a whole made me think they were calling me Beast as the listener, and trying to lull me into a good sleep.

I didn’t make it too far into the self titled. It was just not good.

I definitely like Trouble Will Find Me better as an album, but The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness is a great track

I thrashed Trouble Will Find Me so hard in 2013 and 2014 (and 2015, 2016...) that I think I've gone off it a bit. I find I Should Live in Salt to be one of the best examples of the complaints that people make about The National's sound, it's so slow and sluggish and dreary. And it's funny you mention it IWB, because my partner is obsessed with The National, even more so than I am, and so she has like three different National records in her car, and the other day Sleep Well Beast finished and TWFM started up and I was like "UGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH", like I had a visceral negative reaction. I'd say that's largely just due to overplaying TWFM to the point where I'm sick of it a bit, but, I also think Sleep Well Beast is a fantastic album and their first record in a long time that actually pushes the envelope in terms of their sound a little bit.

I love TWFM, more than Sleep Well Beast, but I often skip I Should Live in Salt. It's just a plodding track as Dan mentioned. The other one I typically skip is Slipped.

Now that I think of it, I do seem to have a problem with their plodding songs in general. Runaway is another example. I guess they should unleash Devendorf on every track.

Back
Top Bottom