The National: Sunshine on My B&Ck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The best part of the song is when that guitar coincides with the spoken word. Definitely an album highlight,

Just dropped a lot of money on a ticket for December. I said I wouldn't spend over a certain amount, but I love this album too much to miss one of the shows.

I saw them this past week. I like their music a lot, and maybe I was just not in the mood, but .... it was fine. I didn't get what makes so many rave about their live show.

I'm starting to wonder if I should even go to shows of artists I just "like" and don't love. It bums me out to think I just don't like going to concerts like I used to, but there have been a few shows this year where I came away feeling "... that was fine."

Maybe I can blame that on my meds as well. But I was excited for Elbow and U2, and had fun at those, so maybe I just need to stop buying tix for acts I just "like."

I'm starting to wonder if I should even go to shows of artists I just "like" and don't love. It bums me out to think I just don't like going to concerts like I used to, but there have been a few shows this year where I came away feeling "... that was fine."

Maybe I can blame that on my meds as well. But I was excited for Elbow and U2, and had fun at those, so maybe I just need to stop buying tix for acts I just "like."

One of my friends was at that show. He told me about it today. Said Matt took a few pee breaks mid-set and trashed his voice pretty good on Turtleneck.

Their performance of Terrible Love at the Hollywood Bowl was one of my live highlights of the year. No, they haven't lost a step.

Their performance of Terrible Love at the Hollywood Bowl was one of my live highlights of the year. No, they haven't lost a step.

Yeah, I felt this tour was the best I've seen them since 2007-2010.

Yeah, I noticed he left the stage a few times, wasn't sure if that was normal. He made a joke about it, I do appreciate a chatty singer.

The National: Sunshine on My B&Ck

Karen is my white whale for The National (along with Ada). I’ve seen them a half dozen times in the last seven years but never got that one live. They did open with All The Wine at my show though. That was awesome.

I think I got both the first time I saw them back in 2007/8, but never again after that. I can't understand why All The Wine is not a live staple.

"All safe and sound, I won't the let psychos around" is a lyric made to be sung out loud at a concert.

The setlists I get at every National show are uniformly standard. I've never once gotten anything particularly out of the ordinary from them. But that hasn't made any of the shows less than great.

Flew up to Sydney to see them, it was a stunning location, they played on the Opera House forecourt, it would be a magic place to play, band can see the bridge and the opera house all lit up. I was in my head a little bit, kind of fell a wee bit flat for me, I'm hoping the Melb show next week will blow me away. Crowd suuuucked, when Aaron and Bryce and Matt were on the very edges of the crowd (I was about third row) they weren't even alive. And the sound didn't seem to really hit me all that hard, which I hope is due to the acoustics of playing an open air venue that's a drop-in stage and next to the water. So I hope that at the Melb show I'll feel like how I was hoping I'd feel. However it was magical watching my partner love it so much, she started crying as soon as they came out on stage (her fav band and was her first time seeing them live) and she loved every single second. Was a pretty good setlist too. I've now gotten Squalor Victoria live five out of five times :drool: other highlights included Secret Meeting (so lovely and the background vocals were awesome), Wasp Nest (how lovely), Turtleneck, Slow Show and About Today as a closer. The "hey / are you awake / yeah I'm right here / can I ask you / about today" part was magical. The band's awesome, Matt is as entertaining as ever (although he must be classed as an alcoholic now? :lol:).

Bring on next week. Hoping for All the Wine, I Need My Girl / This is the Last Time again so I can get into it more, Sleep Well Beast. I think I'm gonna try to drink more before the show, that might help me get out of my head a bit.

I am seeing them play back-to-back shows at a festival in Cincinnati in April along with Father John Misty, Feist, and a few others. Apparently one night they will play Boxer in full.

Can't wait to see them next week at the Music Bowl - just shattered that I didn't get tix in the stalls this time. Oh well, will need to jostle for a decent enough position on the hill.

I hope we get Secret Meeting as well.

Been spinning Sleep Well Beast a few times this week. I Will Destroy You has escalated to possibly be my favourite song on the album.

I refused to be on the lawn - we waited and just kept refreshing Facebook until we found someone selling like fifth row seats a couple weeks ago [emoji2]

I am seeing them play back-to-back shows at a festival in Cincinnati in April along with Father John Misty, Feist, and a few others. Apparently one night they will play Boxer in full.
I have never been to Cincinnati and was thinking of buying tickets to that festival and traveling out there. The National twice, FJM, Future Islands, Julien Baker ... it checks quite a few boxes for me.

I'm going to this too.

Panicked upon seeing Friday night's Music Now opening celebration events will include "very special guests" so now I'm going to that, too.

Could be wrong but we don't want to be sitting in a bar three blocks away from a surprise performance. Worst case scenario is we see some cool new artists.

A much better show in Melbourne, thanks to the sound being like a million times better and Matt being in a seemingly more raucous mood. Setlist was pretty similar to Sydney which was a slight bummer, but everything that was played was fantastic. Got Rylan for a second time, they clearly love this song, I quite like it, wonder when it will get an official release.

Our boys The National have the best closer in the game with Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks. That shit is mesmerising. So so so good.

Back
Top Bottom