The Killers - Battle Born

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:hyper:

I still enjoy most of the last album, the highs aren't as strong as the others but it's a great run of songs.

Another track from the new album. Has a Springsteen/Sam's Town vibe. The album release has been delayed because of COVID, however.

Last edited:
Thanks to WFH making me super busy and just in general being out of touch, I'd managed to

1) Not hear a single one of these songs
2) Not even be aware a new album campaign was under way.

But now that I know the album is coming, I am finding it very difficult to continue the radio silence. Life's funny that way.

I think I can wait, though.

I have nothing to add to this conversation, I just saw it sitting on the front page of B&C even without a post in over a month and that made me sad, so I'm giving it and the sub some love.

Ha I've always been a pretty good thread killer even when things were a lot busier around here.

I've really like the three tracks they've released so far. You can definitely hear Adam Granduciel's influence on My Own Soul's Warning (maybe too much).

I imagine this will be my favorite album since Day and Age.

I think he's just listed as a contributing artist, but My Own Soul's Warning sounds like it could be a War on Drugs track, at least the synths (hopefully this isn't too spoilery), so I'm guessing that's at least one track he contributed on.

Travis has now informed me that people related to WoDs are so it makes sense he's on at least one track.

The new album comes out tomorrow. I'm not a huge fan of this band (I like a handful of songs a lot) but I'll definitely be giving the album a listen.

The new album comes out tomorrow. I'm not a huge fan of this band (I like a handful of songs a lot) but I'll definitely be giving the album a listen.

It’s out in Australia now. I’m listening now. Not sure what I think...

I quite like Caution and My Own Soul’s Warning, but the other two released before the album weren’t wonderful.

The album is consistent but a little samey. I think the two I didn’t like as much are better for their positioning in the album, but yeah... it’s fine, it isn’t their best effort.

I love it, much more consistent than Wonderful Wonderful and a cohesive, driven vision. I'd love them to take it down a notch after this, but as a single statement of an album, I'm a big fan.

1. Hot Fuss
2. Imploding the Mirage
3. Wonderful Wonderful
4. Sam's Town
5. Day & Age
6. Battle Born

Three listens in and some songs are still struggling for an identity, but it is overall quite cohesive. Some Brandon solo vibes, and even some Dire Straits in the mix.

Can’t touch the first two, but it is sitting better than it did after first listen. Still not as immediate as I’d hoped:

1. Hot Fuss
2. Sam’s Town
3. = Wonderful, Wonderful
3. = Imploding the Mirage
5. Battle Born
6. Day & Age

I’m also not as down on Battle Born as others. There’s some trash there, but Be Still, Deadlines & Commitments and Flesh & Bone are better than almost everything on D&A

Three listens in and some songs are still struggling for an identity, but it is overall quite cohesive. Some Brandon solo vibes, and even some Dire Straits in the mix.

Can’t touch the first two, but it is sitting better than it did after first listen. Still not as immediate as I’d hoped:

1. Hot Fuss
2. Sam’s Town
3. = Wonderful, Wonderful
3. = Imploding the Mirage
5. Battle Born
6. Day & Age

I’m also not as down on Battle Born as others. There’s some trash there, but Be Still, Deadlines & Commitments and Flesh & Bone are better than almost everything on D&A

Interesting how there are so many differing perspectives on TK, often with the 1-2 ballast of Hot Fuss and Sam’s Town being the common thread (but so often switching for many).

Hot Fuss got me into The Killers, and Mr. Brightside and All These Things That I’ve Done are unimpeachable. But Sam’s Town cemented my love.

Day & Age came at a moment of personal development and optimism and Battle Born a time where I needed resilience and strength. Both are special albums for me, even if they don’t reach the heights of the first two. I also love both of Brandon’s solo records as flourishes of The Killers’ canon.

Wonderful Wonderful felt like the first time they reached a real impasse. The band was fragmented and the sound on the album reflected that. The Man hinted at a less four-men-in-a-band approach whilst still achieving cohesion, but much of the rest of that album felt hollow. The exception being Some Kind of Love, which I’ve mentioned already in this thread, some time ago, as being my favourite song of all time.

So now, with ITM, it feels like Brandon and Ronnie have resolved in their minds how to proceed as an artistic union in a way that develops the cohesion of The Man and Brandon’s solo ventures. And by doing so, they’ve brought back some of the propulsion from earlier records that makes them ‘The Killers’, even if the make up of that unit has changed.

It gives me a lot of hope for the future, as you can tell Brandon and Ronnie are professionally committed to what they do. Being able to involve Mark in this—and potentially Dave in the future—while absorbing interesting collaborations seems like a good way forward for the band.

I believe Brandon is talented and genuinely creative enough to keep The Killers interesting for another decade. Given that my favourite artists to succeed my U2 fandom are The Killers, Coldplay and The National, I’m very grateful that an artist I love can continue to put out new music I’m genuinely excited by.

With all this said, I’m comfortable with the following as my rankings (and don’t see this changing now that ITM is out):

1. Sam’s Town
2. Hot Fuss
3. = Day & Age
3. = Battle Born
5. Imploding the Mirage
6. Wonderful Wonderful

The Killers have avoided anything catastrophic in their career so far. I think Battle Born is their worst, and it’s not even bad.

Brandon claims they recorded 50 songs for the album and are going to release another album in 10 months.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/the-...2021-it-might-be-better-than-this-one-2735596

He also said he's still writing during the pandemic, so it sounds like they'll have quite a bit to chose from for the next one. There's even some hints that Dave might be coming in to play some guitar on the album this time around.

Interesting how there are so many differing perspectives on TK, often with the 1-2 ballast of Hot Fuss and Sam’s Town being the common thread (but so often switching for many).

Hot Fuss got me into The Killers, and Mr. Brightside and All These Things That I’ve Done are unimpeachable. But Sam’s Town cemented my love.

Day & Age came at a moment of personal development and optimism and Battle Born a time where I needed resilience and strength. Both are special albums for me, even if they don’t reach the heights of the first two. I also love both of Brandon’s solo records as flourishes of The Killers’ canon.

Wonderful Wonderful felt like the first time they reached a real impasse. The band was fragmented and the sound on the album reflected that. The Man hinted at a less four-men-in-a-band approach whilst still achieving cohesion, but much of the rest of that album felt hollow. The exception being Some Kind of Love, which I’ve mentioned already in this thread, some time ago, as being my favourite song of all time.

So now, with ITM, it feels like Brandon and Ronnie have resolved in their minds how to proceed as an artistic union in a way that develops the cohesion of The Man and Brandon’s solo ventures. And by doing so, they’ve brought back some of the propulsion from earlier records that makes them ‘The Killers’, even if the make up of that unit has changed.

It gives me a lot of hope for the future, as you can tell Brandon and Ronnie are professionally committed to what they do. Being able to involve Mark in this—and potentially Dave in the future—while absorbing interesting collaborations seems like a good way forward for the band.

I believe Brandon is talented and genuinely creative enough to keep The Killers interesting for another decade. Given that my favourite artists to succeed my U2 fandom are The Killers, Coldplay and The National, I’m very grateful that an artist I love can continue to put out new music I’m genuinely excited by.

With all this said, I’m comfortable with the following as my rankings (and don’t see this changing now that ITM is out):

1. Sam’s Town
2. Hot Fuss
3. = Day & Age
3. = Battle Born
5. Imploding the Mirage
6. Wonderful Wonderful

Agree with a lot of this. Day & Age also came about during a pivotal point in my life, so I tend to hold that one in the 3 spot as well. I'd probably put Battle Born at the bottom myself, although there's parts of it I enjoy a lot.

Imploding the Mirage is definitely their most consistent release since the first 3 albums though. The high points of Wonderful Wonderful were enough for me and might be preferable to much of this new album, but I don't skip too many songs on ITM either. Or at least at the moment.

Last edited:
The Killers have avoided anything catastrophic in their career so far. I think Battle Born is their worst, and it’s not even bad.

Exactly this, IMO. One of the reasons they're such an easy favorite band for me. Very simple to just put on shuffle and not hit many (if any) bad songs.

I like the new album. I don't think it's a standout. Sits at the middle of the pack for me, but that's not a negative.

If I have any "problem" with the album, its that the best song on the thing (and the only one that really stands out) is almost entirely a rewrite of "Red Rain" by Peter Gabriel (Lightning Fields).

Yeah it definitely seems like there are still some raw feelings there, but at the same time he was pretty adamant about wanting to tour with them again.

You kinda feel bad for him that his ideas kept getting rejected over and over again, and it's one of the reasons he left. Maybe Ronnie and Brandon are kinda jerks behind the scenes. Who knows.

Last edited:
I think the lot of them are probably all imperfect. Mark probably has the best reputation in my mind after reading that interview.

Whoever interviewed Dave there was really kissing ass though. That was weird. But also Dave just repeatedly sounded like he was feeling sorry for himself. But he also sounded like he knew he sounded like that, so I suppose I understand.

The whole thing is just weird. But I think that ended on the right note and I think the band as a whole is upholding the most important aspect - unity. Band positions shouldn’t be a revolving door. I appreciate that they didn’t sever ties, that is the right thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom