The Decemberists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
they've got a couple songs i've liked, but nothing i've ever been a huge fan of. but i will have to check out the new stuff. my mom likes them.

Popmatters gave it an 8. Allmusic doesn't have a score up, but their review is positive also. Pretty solid reviews all around it seems. Hopefully my copy arrives tonight, really looking forward to it.

Yeah, that bass line is awesome. Heavy.

What other songs do you happen to like, if any? And your overall impressions as well, please.

I think my four favorites are Don't Carry It All, Rise To Me, Down By The Water, and January Hymn, the latter probably being my #1 favorite.

Just barely starting it now, I only listened to the two songs mentioned on the little sticker first (one being Why We Fight).

Damn, you didn't listen in order?

This sounds awfully strange because I've never actually met you, but that doesn't sound like you. I've always assumed you were a "listen to track one and go straight through" kinda man.

But it's all good. Whatever floats your boat, as they say. (Nobody actually says that, I don't think.)

In listening to a full album, yes, I do that. But I was on the way out the door to the grocery store, and saw the CD had been delivered (after 7 pm, which is pretty late for a delivery). Brought it inside to rip it to the computer, listened to the two songs on the sticker (the other being Down By the Water, which I've heard a number of times previously) while I ate a partial dinner. Then went to the grocery store, came back, and started from the first while I ate some food.

Ahhh, excellent.

I hope it was Decemberists themed food. Like some obscure pastry dish that a 16th century Spanish sailor would have eaten.

Did 16th century Spanish sailors drink whey protein mixed into skim milk and some carrots?

I liked the album quite a bit on first listen, by the way. I guess that's sorta the norm for me with Decemberists albums, but this one seemed quite nice and up my alley tastes wise. Surprised how "quirky-free" it was though, but it's cool they tried something new. Other than the single, and the other song I already mentioned, June Hymn was probably the standout of my first time through it. I liked the opening song a lot too. I'll probably give it another spin at work today.

Dang, hope they put the full video of that up to rewatch, MVD. I would have liked to have seen that.

I've listened to the new album most every day this week. :up:

Here's a link to watch their performance on Leno last night. Apparently The King is Dead was #1 on iTunes and Amazon this week. :up:

So it's their "stripped down" and "least bombastic" album that gets them to #1.

What does this mean? I don't know.

Certainly my favorite album of the first month of 2011.

It's really nice, I've listened to it a lot already. Between it and the new Destroyer, it's been a good 7 or 8 days for new musicz.

i like this album. i definitely see the R.E.M. connection. which song does Peter Buck play on?

Don't Carry it All, Rise to Me, Down by the Water and Why We Fight are my favourites.

i like this album. i definitely see the R.E.M. connection. which song does Peter Buck play on?

Don't Carry it All, Rise to Me, Down by the Water and Why We Fight are my favourites.

He plays on three tracks.

Two of which you mentioned: Don't Carry It All and Down By The Water. He also plays on Calamity Song.

Back
Top Bottom