Spoon - New Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's fair to say at this point that I really, really like this album. "Trouble Comes Running" and "Goodnight Laura" I could do without, but the rest is damn fine. And "Out Go the Lights" is a favorite to join my Mt. Rushmore of The Spoons tunes.

Phanan, I didn't hear anything about signed posters. What store did you go to?

You're welcome.

I am seeing The Spoons tomorrow. Fo' free. Full report forthcoming.

Well the alleged capacity for the parking lot is 1400, so you shouldn't have much problem getting access even if you didn't get the guaranteed admission wristband. The only thing I'm worried about is parking. There's the neighborhood up the big hill in the back of Waterloo off Baylor, but I'm not sure if you can park there without a permit of some sort.

Pretty wild scene up here, but I've managed to get a nice spot right in front of the soundboard. Ridiculously pretty outside too. Should be a fine afternoon of Spooning.

I Saw the Light
The Mystery Zone
Got Nuffin
Don't Make Me a Target
Me and the Bean
Written in Reverse
Black Like Me
Something to Look Forward to
Nobody Gets Me But You
Rhthm & Soul
Don't You Evah

Is Love Forever
Cherry Bomb
Jonathon Fisk

Really great show. The new stuff worked well live. I was pretty shocked to get "Me and the Bean," and apparently one of few people there who even knew it.

Sorry I didn't relay your inaccurate opinion, Laz.

Between that and "Jonathon Fisk," I figured I'd forgive the lack of Gimme Friction tunes.

Incidentally, Friction was the LP I got signed since it's my favorite artwork of the Spoon LPs I own.

I'm not really ready to rank it in their canon yet. It's only been out for six days. Although I will say that I think it's better than Ga^5.

There are considerably less memorable songs.

"Finer Feelings," "Cigarette Case," "Rhthm & Soul," "Eddie's Ragga," and (I apologize in advance for this) "Cherry Bomb" don't do much for me. In contrast, on Transference I only dislike "Trouble Comes Running" and could take or leave "Goodnight Laura."

In the upselling words of Lance's Mom, different strokes.

I think Finer Feelings is the best thing on there.

So GFY.

Of course, I put Ga x5 behind Girls Can Tell, A Series of Sneaks, and Gimme Fiction, maybe even Kill the Moonlight on certain days, so comparing it to Transference isn't really the point.

"Target," "Ghost," and "Black Like Me" are the real highlights of Ga^5 for me. And if it makes you feel any better or any less hostile, I hold Girls Can Tell, Sneaks, Fiction, and especially Kill the Moonlight in such high regard that Tranny probably won't pass them.

Time will tell though. Since it's a "grower" and all.

Probably my favorite Spoon jam right there. Very nice.

And what I take away from the CMG review is that I still don't give a fuck what CMG has to say.

Back
Top Bottom