shuttlecock XXIV: it's the little swings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dannie Dunko

giphy.gif

Yesterday was NLOTH's 10th birthday, guys. February 27, 2009.

Also, if you're interested, eleven days ago was the 10th anniversary of the famous NLOTH leak(wherein some universal employee in Australia accidentally made the album available to purchase for download). Here is the thread that was going when it happened: http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f288/nloth-do-you-feel-leaked-leak-thread-part-xi-193633.html

Anyway, still one of their most frustrating albums. Fez, MOS, title track, White As Snow, and Cedars are all classic as far as I'm concerned. Then there's the middle 3. Somewhere in between are Magnificent, UC, and Breathe, all of which are decent but have flaws. Magnificent has a great riff and good chorus but the verses drag. UC is musically fine but the chorus hasn't aged all that well(the solo at the end nearly makes up for everything though). Breathe has an exciting rhythm but never quite achieves full liftoff.

Happy birthday to a flawed album with moments(pun intended) of brilliance.

Also, if you're interested, eleven days ago was the 10th anniversary of the famous NLOTH leak(wherein some universal employee in Australia accidentally made the album available to purchase for download). Here is the thread that was going when it happened: http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f288/nloth-do-you-feel-leaked-leak-thread-part-xi-193633.html

Anyway, still one of their most frustrating albums. Fez, MOS, title track, White As Snow, and Cedars are all classic as far as I'm concerned. Then there's the middle 3. Somewhere in between are Magnificent, UC, and Breathe, all of which are decent but have flaws. Magnificent has a great riff and good chorus but the verses drag. UC is musically fine but the chorus hasn't aged all that well(the solo at the end nearly makes up for everything though). Breathe has an exciting rhythm but never quite achieves full liftoff.

I still can't believe they thought it was a good idea to open the 360 concerts with Breathe. I love the song but I can't think of a tour of theirs with a worse opener.

It's admittedly a hard album to choose a show-starter from, but it just hit me today that the disco remix of Cock Crazy they were playing wouldn't have been the worst choice, and would have gone well with introducing the full audio-visual capabilities of The Claw. I mean the song title just fits the spot perfectly.

I thought my Stand Up Comedy initial take was the worst. I

Upon further review... uh...

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5884596

i'm about 90% confident that i don't have any posts in that thread and i'm very thankful that there (probably) isn't any gushing hot takes about NLOTH that could be used to ruin me should i become a public figure in the future.

I am absolutely not looking at that thread to find out what dumb thing I said.

I remember being underwhelmed by Boots on first listen, but this was not long after I'd first really gone cool on U2 and I really, really didn't want to, so I summoned all the enthusiasm I could possibly find for the new stuff. Funnily enough it didn't last.

I still can't believe they thought it was a good idea to open the 360 concerts with Breathe. I love the song but I can't think of a tour of theirs with a worse opener.

It's admittedly a hard album to choose a show-starter from, but it just hit me today that the disco remix of Cock Crazy they were playing wouldn't have been the worst choice, and would have gone well with introducing the full audio-visual capabilities of The Claw. I mean the song title just fits the spot perfectly.

The title track and Magnificent were both fairly obvious openers to me. Breathe has a good drum intro, which I guess is why they chose it, but it fucking blows as a song and a few gigs should've made clear that it didn't work. I'm surprised how long they stuck with it.

I remember you got very mad at me for not being 100% in love with it on first listen, lol.

Alright, personal story time. Today is the day I bought NLOTH 10 years ago. I know this because it's the day Travis and I started dating 10 years ago. We talked on the phone for the first time while I drove to Best Buy and picked it up. I remember that was back when I used to have to park by the football stadium at TCU and it took about 15 minutes to get from campus to my car, and I just very vivedly remember that walk while we were talking about the album. So... Yeah, there's that.

I remember you got very mad at me for not being 100% in love with it on first listen, lol.

Alright, personal story time. Today is the day I bought NLOTH 10 years ago. I know this because it's the day Travis and I started dating 10 years ago. We talked on the phone for the first time while I drove to Best Buy and picked it up. I remember that was back when I used to have to park by the football stadium at TCU and it took about 15 minutes to get from campus to my car, and I just very vivedly remember that walk while we were talking about the album. So... Yeah, there's that.
Cedars of Lebanon has brought together many a couple

I was at the one show that Magnificent opened (Foxboro 2), having seen Breathe open the night before, Magnificent was miles better as an opener. Kind of surprised it didn't open any more shows. Then again, U2.

As much grief as I gone NLOTH for its shortcomings, it holds a high sentimental value for me. My daughter Sonya was born a couple months after the album came out. For those who are parents, you know all too well that sometimes you gotta do anything you can to get your newborn to fall asleep. Well, it just so happens that playing this album at a reasonable volume was the only thing that worked for a couple weeks. In fact, to this day, she still claims that U2 puts her to sleep.

Been an amazing 10 years with this little girl though. FB_IMG_1551445854192.jpegFB_IMG_1551446320729.jpeg

Especially Song For Someone, amirite? :D
Ha! She does like American Soul, but has no clue that they stole a riff from one of their own songs, which stole the same riff from another one if their songs.

She thinks Mofo is cool too. Good kid.

Or maybe we all thought bono was dumb because he wanted to be so relevant but really he planted the seed in the next generation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom