Random Music Talk CXXIII: Cilantro Lover's Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Turns out it’s a lot better now that I realized there was somewhere in the settings to turn off the last picture posted from showing up in the list.

So last night's Yo La Tengo show at Pappy & Harriet's was pretty damned phenomenal. I'd never seen them (shamefully), so I don't have anything to compare it to, but being outside, in the desert, under the stars, was very special. As it always is at this venue.

They've been playing 2 sets lately on this tour with no opener, and our show was a little curtailed by comparison; we got 4 less songs than the previous L.A. shows at the Teragram Ballroom. Not a big deal, as the Pappy's tix were cheaper and it's more intimate.

With such a huge discography, I feel like most setlists would fail to totally satisfy, but I don't have many complaints. They played 5 songs off the new There's A Riot Going On, and played 5 covers, so out of 19 songs that might seem unfair to the other albums, but when the band is this good musically, you really don't care that much. It's amazing how they can go toe-to-toe with Sonic Youth's dissonant jamming, but they have the added gift of being amazing songwriters who can come up with delicate, touching melodies and various guises of catchy pop-rock (unlike SY).

Here's the full setlist, with album designations:

1. You Are Here (new)
2. The Kid With The Replaceable Head (Richard Hell cover)
3. Today is the Day (Summer Sun)
4. For You Too (new)
5. Ashes (new)
6. I'll Be Around (Fade)
7. Shades of Blue (new)
8. She May, She Might (new)
9. Autumn Sweater (I Can Hear The Heart...)
10. Mr. Tough (I Am Not Afraid...)
11. How She Boogalooed It (Beach Boys cover)
12. Time Fades Away (Neil Young cover)
13. Drug Test (President Yo La Tengo)
14. Decora (Electr-o-pura)
15. Ohm (Fade)
16. Pass The Hatchet, I Think I'm Goodkind (I Am Not Afraid...)

Encore

17. Sugarcube (I Can Hear the Heart...)
18. How Much I've Lied (Gram Parsons cover)
19. Yellow Sarong (The Scene Is Now cover)

So yeah. I would have loved to have heard something from Popular Songs, but two from I Am Not Afraid... was cool, and I was REALLY excited the played the somewhat atypical Mr. Tough. We also got both of the big tracks from I Can Hear The Heart..., whereas they only got one per night at the Teragram shows. Sugarcube is one of my favs. I also was beaming when they started Ohm, my favorite from Fade.

The Neil Young cover shredded, and Ira mentioned that they were intentionally doing more California songs for this show. During the encore, he said they were discussing whether or not they were the kind of band who would cover Gram Parsons at a show like this, and that they concluded they were. So he harmonized with Georgia for a beautiful cover. Ira in general was funnier than I would have expected with the stage banter.

Anyway, I really regret not seeing them for every tour since I got into them in 1997. But I will definitely go again if they come back, and they seem to have a decent amount of variety between shows.

Angélique Kidjo covering the entire Talking Heads' album Remain In Light is as good in reality as it sounds in theory.

Knock Knock is tremendous. I adored Amygdala, so I’m stoked that I like this new one even better. I’m not surprised though. Koze is one of the best producers on the planet and his run of form since Amygdala - I Haven’t Been Everywhere But It’s On My List, XTC, Pampa Vol1 - has been amazing.

This, 2012-2017 and Tranquility Base are my records of the year so far.

Really enjoying Nasir, Rolling Blackouts and the new Leon Vynehall record. Lots of strong albums this week.

Kinda mixed on SOPHIE's album, I'm not into bubblegum bass/PC Music, but Immaterial is a great track.

New Leon Vynehall? I loved his previous album.

Also a big fan of the new Koze of course. That opening track is so epic.

Lyon Vynehall is house too right?

All the electro I've listened to this year is by men, so I'm keen to find some by women. I do enjoy playing Jlin's Black Origami when I'm in the mood.

Anyone listen to / like Let's Eat Grandma? I came across them on a list of "albums to look forward to in 2018" earlier this year. I'm sure I listened to them because of the artist name, but I became a big fan of their song "Eat Shiitake Mushrooms". I randomly decided to see if they had any music videos yesterday, and was shocked / horrified to see they're freaking kids! I now feel unintentionally creepy for being a fan. Regardless, they have a new album coming in a few weeks, all the singles they've released for it so far have been pretty good.

Let’s Eat Grandma: “Falling Into Me”

Let’s Eat Grandma Are the Wonderfully Weird Pop Duo We Need Right Now

Except for Anti-Vaxx verse I do enjoy Nas’ new album quite a bit

that's probably the best verse on the album. everything is a fucking awesome track. best nas song since at least hip hop is dead (the album), easily. kanye's singing is shockingly good on this album too.

just listened to kids see ghosts for the first time too. seems like kanye used his best beats for everyone's albums except his own. KSG gives me a modern madvillain vibe.

KSG is trash.

What? Really?

The first couple of tracks take a little getting used to, but what's not to like about Kids See Ghosts and Cudi Montage? It's such a lively, emotionally open and comforting record after the darkness of ye.

he was a legitimately bad person who profited enormously off being a proudly violent abusive misogynist. let's not pretend like this is some great loss for the world.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom