R.E.M. - upcoming album 'Collapse Into Now' / General Discussion - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #211
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:03 AM
More news from Rolling Stone:

'Collapse Into Now' is reminiscent of 'Automatic for the People', says Mills

Mike Mills On New R.E.M. Album With Patti Smith, Eddie Vedder | Rolling Stone Music

Old 11-04-2010, 09:47 PM   #212
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:03 AM
Someone's been taking talking point pointers from Boner.

Once you go down the path of LIES, it's hard to turn back, Mike.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:30 AM   #213
45:33

Local Time: 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65980 View Post
It's appropriate that this idiotic post is the final one I'll respond to on this embarrasingly bad forum. No one -- least of all me -- has treated Bono (or anyone) as sacred in the recent part of this 'chat'. What I was attempting was a conversation about our respective opinions on a great band, R.E.M. As usual when BVS is involved, what I discovered is that my effort at making some actual thought-out posts in an attempt to stimulate discussion ended in a gang-up on the poster who has the least popular opinion -- the 'schoolyard bully' form of Internet discussion -- showing again what a juvenile crowd this forum attracts.
this is a sad day for the forum. your nipples will be sorely missed.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #214
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:03 AM
When I first really started listening to music, REM and U2 were my first two loves. A buddy of mine is a DIEHARD REM fan, we met for drinks last night and got on the subject of the new album and what not...

As much as I love REM I don't think they ever wrote the near perfect album, they never made their JT or AB. I still listen the hell out of some of their albums but there are always that one or two songs that I skip over. And it's not like a Trip Through Your Wires where I can bare it and forgive it, it's that I loathe it and wish it didn't exist.

Anyone else have this?
Old 11-05-2010, 09:39 AM   #215
The Male

Nope. Murmur and Automatic For The People are perfect IMO.

And Achtung isn't.

/unpopular opinions?

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #216
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:03 PM
trip through your wires is dreadful. i think there's something else on JT i've always disliked as well, i just can't remember it right now. and i mean uterrly hated, not just somehting like "mysterious ways" which i've grown tired of over the years. something i really hated.

honestly, if it wasn't for murmer, i'd almost agree with you. although the rem tracks i skip don't really bring about the same hatred that i have for trip through your wires. i did force myself to listen to reveal the other night, because i thought maybe i wasn't giving it a fair shake. i'd never been a huge fan of dead letter office either, but i've come around to it, and i thought maybe the same for the other album. not so much. there are a couple things on there that don't suck, however nothing awesome and the songs i don't like i do downright despise to the point of if it hadn't been on my ipod and had the cd in front of me, i probably would have thrown it somewhere.

and yes, murmur is perfect*.

*and this isn't the current rem binge talking, i've been of this opinion since i first heard it. which sadly only occurred probably somewhere in the last 10 years, but better late than never i guess. actually, 1998ish is more than 10 years ago. but you get the point. i'm a slacker.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:05 AM   #217
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
When I first really started listening to music, REM and U2 were my first two loves. A buddy of mine is a DIEHARD REM fan, we met for drinks last night and got on the subject of the new album and what not...

As much as I love REM I don't think they ever wrote the near perfect album, they never made their JT or AB. I still listen the hell out of some of their albums but there are always that one or two songs that I skip over. And it's not like a Trip Through Your Wires where I can bare it and forgive it, it's that I loathe it and wish it didn't exist.

Anyone else have this?
Yep. Exactly the same thing. Lifes Rich Pageant is my favorite, but I can't stand that Superman cover as its closer for example. And I hate the term overrated, but I'll never understand why Automatic For the People is so highly regarded. I don't even count it being in the upper half of their albums.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:21 AM   #218
Blue Crack Supplier

i swear automatic for the people still carries this huge sense of nostalgia for some people as part of a place and time, either that or since it's pretty much their best-known album a point where a lot of people got into the band. it's got the most radio hits, too, right? mofo put it pretty eloquently when he described what it is for him.

it's born in the usa. some good songs, a couple irritating songs, super accessible/radio-friendly/whatever buzzword/catchphrase you might want to use to describe it. and i'd be lying if i didn't say it was one of the first rem albums i got into, but as with any long-running band with a massive back catalogue it's one of those things i grew out of love with in favor of some of the other stuff that feels more cohesive as entire records (or overall i'd consider to be better collections of songs).

nah, life's rich pageant is pretty damn perfect. actually, i know there's 1 song on there i don't like. it's not superman, i still enjoy that. but like with JT, right now i'm having a hard time recalling exactly what it is and am too lazy to get off my ass and go look at the cd.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #219
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Nope. Murmur and Automatic For The People are perfect IMO.

And Achtung isn't.

/unpopular opinions?
Mumur is great but loses it a little on the second side.

Automatic is close but I'm not a fan of the instrumental and Star Me Kitten I can only take small doses of...
Old 11-05-2010, 11:07 AM   #220
Blue Crack Supplier

Hey folks, no album with Ignoreland (a cheesy, synth-laden, dated tune which completely disrupts the organic mood and flow of the proceedings) can be called perfect.

Thanks for playing.

I'm not a big fan of West of the Fields, but it doesn't destroy the album for me. It just seems a little been-there, done-that.

Document is the closest thing to perfect that they have, IMO. Even my least favorite, Lightnin' Hopkins, is pretty distinct on the album. Lifes Rich Pageant is close but Hyena is pretty disposeable.

Achtung Birdie is about as close to perfect an album I've ever heard.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:15 AM   #221
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:03 AM
Murmur, along with Document, are pretty damn near perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Although I'd still choose AB or JT over them.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #222

is there no apostrophe in Lifes Rich Pageant?

i have ATFP, and it's one of the most overrated albums i own. sorry.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:00 PM   #223
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
is there no apostrophe in Lifes Rich Pageant?

i have ATFP, and it's one of the most overrated albums i own. sorry.

ah...pretentious titles reminds me, swan swan hummingbird is the song i hate. yes.

don't own much zeppelin, eh?
Old 11-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #224

i've got I through Physical Graffiti i think, i haven't listened to them all, but i've thoroughly enjoyed what i've heard.

Stairway to Heaven would be close to my least favourite off IV though
Old 11-05-2010, 03:36 PM   #225
ONE
love, blood, life

AFTP overrated?

Achtung not perfect?

To each their own I suppose.