Pearl Jam Discussion Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
$52.50 was the top price not the average ticket price. There were tickets as low as $22.50 on Popmart if I recall

Popmart's gross was about 171 Mil for just under 4 mil tickets sold.

If you want to use $52.50 in 1997/8 for your argument, then you need to use $325.00 for 2018.

There were a small number of tickets at the $37.50 price, usually no more than about 5,000 per show. $52.50 is what 90% of the audience in the United States paid .

So lets take the shows at East Rutherford New Jersey Giants Stadium:
shows: 3
Attendance: 129,644
Gross: $6,499,131
Average Ticket Price: $50.13

Ok so its a little less than $52.50, but not significantly less. $50.13 today would be about $78 dollars. The average price of $130 dollars from U2 SOI tour and Joshua Tree Tour 2017 is 66% more than Popmart adjusted for inflation figure of 78 dollars.

So, the average U2 tickets went up 66% instead of 60% since 1997.

That still leaves Pearl Jam with a 200% increase in ticket price since 1998. Way more than the 66% increase seen with U2.

Finally, while the Popmart tour played to 3.9 million people around the world from places as different as South Africa, Brazil, Israel, Germany Canada, Mexico and the United States, only roughly 1,250,000 of that total was in the United States where the comparison in ticket price and inflation is being made.

Last edited:
There were a small number of tickets at the $37.50 price, usually no more than about 5,000 per show. $52.50 is what 90% of the audience in the United States paid .

So lets take the shows at East Rutherford New Jersey Giants Stadium:
shows: 3
Attendance: 129,644
Gross: $6,499,131
Average Ticket Price: $50.13

So the entire tour was 3 shows at E. Rutherford?
How about we use the entire tour to represent the entire tour (oh cause it ruins your argument)

Total gross: $171,677,024.00
Total tickets sold 3,935,936

Avg. ticket: $43.61

You posted these stats yourself a dozen years ago Sting:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f225/attendance-at-all-popmart-shows-137984.html#post2855069

popmarttix.gif

How about we use the entire tour to represent the entire tour (oh cause it ruins your argument)

Total gross: $171,677,024.00
Total tickets sold 3,935,936

Avg. ticket: $43.61

You posted these stats yourself a dozen years ago Sting:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f225/attendance-at-all-popmart-shows-137984.html#post2855069
Stop, Hewson.

Pearl Jam are greedy fucks who haven't written new music in at least 20 years. They tour endlessly because it's easier than doing something creative, such as coming up with 20,000 different alters.

There are number of reasons you would not use the worldwide totals in this discussion.

1. All of the inflation adjustments are based on inflation in one country, the United States.

2. The average ticket price being looked at for both U2 and Pearl Jam currently 2015-2018, is from shows in the United States, not anywhere else.

3. The ticket price for Pearl Jam in 1998 at 23 dollars is for the United States.

So with all those variables pointing to ticket prices in the United States plus all of the inflation adjustments being for the United States, why in the hell would you want to use the global average ticket price for U2 in 1997-1998? You wouldn't, you would use the average ticket price in the United States or something close to it which might be the East Rutherford shows.

I used the East Rutherford shows from Popmart because they were New York area shows. The $130 ticket price for SOI tour and Joshua Tree Tour 2017 I also got from looking at the New York shows.

What ticket price in the last 20 years, be it a musical act, sporting event, etc., has remained the equivalent based purely on inflation?

Song is everything we've come to expect from the band, but, like the last time around, what it actually means - a new world tour - is the nugget of gold :love: hopefully it won't be too long until they're here. I haven't seen them since 2009.

I've still yet to see PJ live. I gotta make it happen this next tour. It may be time to revisit their discography again too. I haven't heard Vs. or Vitalogy in probably five years or more.

I listened to Vs a ton as a teenager. It came out when I was in 8th grade and it (and Pearl Jam) were huuuuge. I think it set the record for most albums sold opening week if I remember right. Daughter was all over radio. Elderly Woman... was one of the first songs that I remember where the lyrics really moved me. I'm glad they are still making music and touring all these years later.

Last edited:
It did set that record. Platinum in one week, maybe?

I think Garth Brooks broke it soon after, though.

The new song is pretty meh, though it is nice to learn that Brendan O'Brien is back in the producer's chair. Their albums never hit the same peak once he left.

First setlist alone proves that Pearl Jam do what Pearl Jam best: play fucking great, long, diverse shows, with a few newer/recent tunes thrown in :up:

Pearl Jam is solidly in my top 3 all time bands (with u2 and the Beatles), and I've gotta say I think the new single is pretty crummy. Some good ideas but awkwardly crammed together. The live version doesn't seem to be much of an improvement.

Who knows, my opinion could change in time. Some of my all time favorites were hard for me to initially get into.

Wine tasting outside Seattle today. One of the wineries had a red wine named Dissident, after the Pearl Jam song.

It was delicious.

Ruh roh…

TONIGHT’S LONDON SHOW POSTPONED
RESCHEDULED DATE TBD

Pearl Jam are very sorry to announce that they will be unable to perform tonight’s show at the O2 Arena in London. The band is working on rescheduling the concert date for mid-July.

Singer Eddie Vedder has completely lost his voice. He is on vocal rest for the next few days in an effort to heal and perform the remainder of the tour dates.

It’s the first time ever having to postpone a show for this reason. Ed and the band are gutted thinking of all the folks who have travelled and made plans.

Sending their biggest apologies out to everyone. And huge gratitude for all the continued support.

Tickets for tonight’s show will be valid and transferable to the rescheduled concert date. Expect more information soon. Please contact your point of purchase for all other public ticket enquiries. Ten Club ticket holders will be contacted directly in the coming days.

Pearl Jam’s European tour is expected to resume Friday, June 22nd in Milan

I nearly shit myself just reading that, but my main impression was those two lines are better than the actual U2 song, because instead of it being this saccharine bullshit, it's actually quite dark... like a man at rock bottom and he's either got this twisted view that his partner is still the centre of his world after all the harm she's done him, or a man holding on to this tiny glimmer of hope in the darkness.

U2 used to be quite good at that. Ironic.

Back
Top Bottom