New Gorillaz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont quite know what to make of this one. I like the Del parts, but the chorus is weird. And the song is about cereal???? What the fuck? I'll give it to them that it certainly is an original song though. Pretty sure the chorus is supposed to sound like a cereal jingle. I dont hate it and its catchy... I just dont know what to think of it yet

YouTube - Gorillaz - Superfast Jellyfish (HD)

Ordinary? It's an old school hip-hop track about cereal spliced together with a shimmering SFA-style chorus. Find a new adjective.

I'm trying not to get too excited about it yet, because I'm not sure how it will sound in context, but sometimes a song being fun to listen to is the only criteria necessary.

How is the chorus weird...? Honest question. I thought it was incredibly straight-ahead, after the kinda off-kilter verses. If anything's "weird" (and nothing here qualifies, in the grand scheme of things), I guess it'd be the intro. This is just a pop song about a made-up food.

I guess i just mean weird in that the melody would fit perfectly well during a saturday morning commercial break, but sounds a little out of place in a pop song. So not inherently weird, just in context. I dont necessarily think its a bad thing though.

My expectations are even higher after listening to that. The one everyone's saying is called Rhinestone Eyes sounds absolutely killer.

Recently, a lot of high profile releases haven't leaked until just a few days before their street date it seems. Maybe they're finally figuring out how to combat all that shit.

despite the two tracks i've listened to so far being met with a general feeling of "meh" i think i'll buy this album straight up when it comes out... four days.

The samples sound pretty good, definitely more chill than the tense material Demon Days was filled with. Kind of like the debut, I suppose, but the melodies add more color to the proceedings.

Well, it's certainly not Demon Days; its intensity and bile is missing from a lot of Plastic Beach. There is some level of social cognizance here, and that bleeds into the music, but there is a clear juxtaposition between the more chill music (definitely more in the vein of the debut) and the social commentary. It holds together surprisingly well -- this is perhaps the first Gorillaz album that isn't spread thin -- and that's doubly impressive considering the massive guest list. I really do like this album, especially the more melodic numbers, but the hip-hop tracks we were already privy to hold up extremely well in context.

Top 5 tracks:

1. Empire Ants (fucking amazing on first listen; will likely end up one of my favorite Gorillaz tracks in general)
2. Superfast Jellyfish
3. Cloud of Unknowing
4. Stylo
5. On Melancholy Hill

Back
Top Bottom