New Gorillaz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's certainly doesn't resonate as much as Demon Days, but I do think it's better than the debut. "Stylo," "Superfast Jellyfish," "Empire Ants," "On Melancholy Hill," and "Sweepstakes" are all excellent. "Rhinestone Eyes" and "Glitter Freeze" are also up my alley. But man is the Lou Reed tune disappointing.

"Empire Ants" made me remember how much I loved seeing Little Dragon open for TVOTR.

Underwhelmed. Very.

Fire away, whatever.

Join the club. I'm all about "Superfast Jellyfish" and "Stylo," though. Listened to the stream like five times, over the last 10 or so days. Hasn't really grown on me, though I'd never call it terrible. Underwhelming, for sure. That Lou Reed song, on the other hand, was heinous.

well if this were real life, I'd probably say something along the lines of:

"oh really? thats too bad man. I really like it."

But since this is the interweb, I will say:

"What???? get a fucking hearing transplant. you. fucking. suck!!!1111"

Oh, and now that Impy has mentioned it, yeah. I think I liked either "Empire Ants" or "Melancholy Hill." Possibly both...?

Oh, yeah, I'm not insane, it's not "terrible" or even close. And, I like Damon Albarn a lot.

I just was expecting, if not at least hoping for, better. Maybe a 2nd listen will be more revelatory.

Stylo is good stuff, though, no doubt.

ETA - So is Empire Ants.

Hate to say it, but even the best tracks here (which I do like quite a bit) don't even sniff "Dirty Harry" or "Feel Good Inc."

I still think Tomorrow Comes Today is their best track

Give me Dan the Automator over Danger Mouse anyday

It's certainly doesn't resonate as much as Demon Days, but I do think it's better than the debut. "Stylo," "Superfast Jellyfish," "Empire Ants," "On Melancholy Hill," and "Sweepstakes" are all excellent. "Rhinestone Eyes" and "Glitter Freeze" are also up my alley. But man is the Lou Reed tune disappointing.

"Empire Ants" made me remember how much I loved seeing Little Dragon open for TVOTR.

That's a fair assessment.

"Clint Eastwood" is really the only track from the debut that I'd put up with the best ("Dirty Harry," "Dare," "Feel Good Inc." and "Fire Coming Out of the Monkey's Head") off of Demon Days.

Little Dragon's coming to FSU, so now I have to go.

I think it's their best album. Feel Good Inc. is still in its own class, but I think this one by far has the most enjoyable tracks.

It definitely exceeded my expectations.

I don't like Dirty Harry. I think the second half completely ruined it.

Funny, the second half is what elevates the damn thing for me.

Little Dragon's coming to FSU, so now I have to go.

You won't be sorry. They're playing here Monday, which is my last night in New Orleans. Sucks I'll miss them.

While I still like the song, I agree with your assessment of the second half

I liked the lightness and oddball nature of the first album more than the darkness of Demon Days. I think they've gone back to that a little more with Plastic Beach

Melancholy Hill is really growing on me. I love the little electronic keyboard bits

well if this were real life, I'd probably say something along the lines of:

"oh really? thats too bad man. I really like it."

But since this is the interweb, I will say:

"What???? get a fucking hearing transplant. you. fucking. suck!!!1111"

I like this post.

The second half is where he shoots all those people though.

The only part of the album I'd describe as underwhelming is the ending, probably. The last three songs are all in that category. Other than that, though, the only song I don't like (as with everyone else) is Some Kind of Nature. It kind of sounds like Lou Reed parodying Lou Reed.

It almost pains me to say that Reed sounded better in that Killers track.

I dont know if its because I havent heard him in quite some time, but I was surprised how old Reed sounds in Some Kind of Nature. Sort of like how Johnny Cash's voice changed later in life

this'll be getting a few spins i think. Stylo, Empire Ants, Melancholy Hill & Sweepstakes were all pretty great, the rest at this stage were fairly underwhelming.

i must not be as big a Lou Reed fan as the rest of you because i didn't think Some Kind of Nature was as bad as all that.

no idea what Snoop was doing on Welcome to the World of the Plastic Beach.

i was also ticked off i had to pay extra for the special edition. for $20, all i was going to get was a colourful piece of cardboard with writing on it and a CD inside. i still buy my music, but if there hadn't been another edition, then i would have torrented it.

Hate to say it, but even the best tracks here (which I do like quite a bit) don't even sniff "Dirty Harry" "Clint Eastwood" or "Feel Good Inc."

totally, utterly, completely agreed.

The second half is where he shoots all those people though.

lol

i must not be as big a Lou Reed fan as the rest of you because i didn't think Some Kind of Nature was as bad as all that.

no idea what Snoop was doing on Welcome to the World of the Plastic Beach.

Compare it to his other work and it's a huge let down.

He was rapping.

I actually like Some Kind Of Nature.

I'm surprised nobody else is mentioning To Binge, which is the other song that features the vocalist from Little Dragon. I think it's gorgeous and one of my favorites on there.

The whole album is fantastic, and is just a notch below Demon Days.

I'd give it a 9/10. Very few weak spots, whereas I felt there were more with Demon Days, which I'd probably give a 7.5 or 8 out of 10.

Also, I now have a car again, so I'm going to see how good of a car tune Stylo is today.

This has been a pretty mediocre year for music so far, only 2-3 albums have really resonated with me, so at this point I'm willing to accept a merely very good album from a band that is perhaps capable of brilliance but didn't reach it this time. Plastic Beach sounds unified, complete, and generally fucking great, but there is a dearth of really strong melodies. Maybe I just need to give it more time in that regard. Until May comes around and that epic batch of albums is released, I don't think much will be competing with it for my time.

Not that I know of, however:

Broken Social Scene - Forgiveness Rock Record
The National - High Violet
LCD Soundsystem - ?

That's a start.

Back
Top Bottom