doors vs the clash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know much about the Doors, but I think it's almost impossible to be better than The Clash. I think YOU are the one lacking understanding, Dave.

Riders on the storm, Light My Fire, Roadhouse blues, Break on through, Love her madly,
L.A. woman, The end, Crystal Ship, When the music's over are all great, great songs

:shrug:

Not to mention the fact that there would be no Led Zeppelin without The Doors.

I don't know about all that.

Zeppelin and The Doors were practically born at the same time. If I'm not mistaken The Doors debut came out in '67 and Zeppelin's debut came out in '68. Not to mention the fact that a lot of Zeppelin I was written around old Yardbirds riffs that Jimmy Page had been sitting on since before The Doors even formed.

But that's not to say that The Doors weren't influential. They were. The Zeppelin case is just a strange one to make. One rock legend that I know for sure was heavily influenced by Morrison and The Doors was Iggy Pop. I remember reading something about how Iggy modeled a lot of his lyrics and stage antics off of an early Doors show he'd seen where Jim Morrison was wasted while performing.

i understand the clash just fine. i said the cooler song titles as partly a joke. i know that the clash walked the walk. the fought in riots, and rallied for thier beliefs. the unfair treatment of immigrants. the bullshit that was gonna on in england in that time. the witty, edgy, well thought out lyrics. they are seen as one band. they were far more expermental the doors. what they did with reggae, is outstanding. thier music is quite powerful.
i also believe the doors, or at least jim morrison was also as real as he portrayed himself. i think the dark epics they wrote were great. like the end, when the musics over. but sometimes morrison overshadowed the band. and the cult following around his death, and his legacy, seem to be more important then the other 3 guys. morrison is so polarizing as a artist. reckless yet brillant at the same time. sadly too reckless.
both bands were part of as time of great rebellions in thier respective country's. the 60;s in the us and the 70's in the uk. but the bands went about it quite differently. the clash started a riot to rally around a belief or a idea. or a injustice. the doors, eh morrison started a riot cause he was in a bad mood. the doors once referred to themselves, as 'erotic politicans" . but the clash sang about specific things. the doors, were subject to the poetic musings of morrison. i take it, on this board, most perfer the sharp left-wing piercings of the clash, then the doors journey into the soul?
i know why people call the clash the only band that mattered. i also know why people call the doors one of the greatest american rock band of all time. I wanna know what music fans think is closer to the truth.

Riders on the storm, Light My Fire, Roadhouse blues, Break on through, Love her madly,
L.A. woman, The end, Crystal Ship, When the music's over are all great, great songs

:shrug:

Their hits are pretty decent, but I would never listen to an entire album. Even the often lauded debut is chock full of filler.

And if we're discussing the greatest American rock bands of all time, you have to fit The Velvet Underground in there.

Even the often lauded debut is chock full of filler.

I think it's rather overrated, personally. I Looked at You and Take It As It Comes are too generic for my liking, Light My Fire would be heaps better without the wanky noodling and The End is tedious as heck. The rest is great but I just don't think it's their best work. Strange Days on the other hand I love almost without reservations (there's Horse Latitudes but at least it's brief) and even the wanky parts (When the Music's Over) work for me just fine.

I like them both, but The Doors are in my top 5 favorite bands of all time, so I'd have to go with them. There's no reason to compare the 2 that I can see. They're from vastly different times and places in the musical landscape.

they were both bands that existed in times of thier country's upheaval. rebellious times. they went about it quite diffrently. i find that contrast to be interesting. also about how the bands legacy's have aged over time. its been over 30 years for clash and 40 for the doors. and after about 30 years you stop counting the years. old is old. If i had posted a beatles vs stones or u2 vs rem thread no one would ask why we are comparing the two. it would just be discussed. i decided on a more challanging comparison. that's not as easy because the groups in qustion didn't exist at the same time.

the short of it for me is that the doors exist very much in a single place and time: something for the classic rock stations for play a couple times a day. decent enough tunes to still warrant the occasional listen--no more, no less.

the bulk of the music i listen to either would not exist (given the punk rock stuff that it is) or i wouldn't have necessarily been introduced to (given the fact that i was listening to primarily punk rock stuff and their albums that strayed from that format got me into a significantly wider variety of music. and what we don't have the clash to thank for that, we've got joe strummer's later stuff).

therfore it's no contest and the clash are, and will always be better.

or: junkie fucktard jim morrison vs. joe strummer who is god? no brainer.

i know morrison became less interested in being a rock star about 2 years into it. i was listening to some of thier live performances the last few days and i still find it to be quite good.i also been listening to some live clash and thats pretty dam good too. the clash playing reggae , the whole white punks playing black music, and showing the world you can transcend borders with music, the feeling of unity, is one the most unique musical adventures i have ever come across since i have listened to music. its something the doors have no equal for. they do have light songs like "hello i love you" as well as the dark physic journeys of the "the end". but the clash have far more range. and explored other type of music in thier short period together. the doors had as much time together, and did not really go anywhere near as far. from i hear, they wanted too, but just wasn't in the cards.
however, if i want a piece of music to take me to another place, with mystery and the unknown, its the clash who have no equal. if your not into the long pieces of music with poetic lyrics thats fine. but if you are , your not gonna listen to the clash.
morrison did hold his fans in his grip. and i wonder what he would have become if he hadn't died . at least stummer lived to know how much his band meant to people. did solo stuff. still performed. morrison went to paris and that was it. died in a bathtub. or whatever. sad. a massive waste.

Had to edit my post, because it's pretty clear that the first went over a whole lot better, even though hardly anyone responded. :lol:

yea its true. i had started this thread on a indie label. and now its been reissued on a major label . with bonus tracks. and the people i talk to outside of the board seem to favor the clash so far. one perfer's the doors a little over the clash, and thats about it.

:lol: i was using winamp as a music player back then. and i'm also glad i hold essentially the same opinion 3 years later.

winamp? lol nice. i wonder if strummer was influenced by the doors at all growing up. in real life, i have met both pro clash and pro doors people. but the doors never has a song like "hitsville uk". lol.

i'll take hitsville uk over a lot of other shit by a lot of other bands. :shrug:

I'll say this: tons of bands have sounded like the Clash, but none have really been able to emulate the Doors, and it ain't for lack of trying. The Doors were unique, no doubt about it. All in all I prefer the Clash because i gravitate towards that style of music, but I don't know that I'd say they were a better band then The Doors. Every member of The Doors was an odd choice for a rock band - I mean a flamenco drummer and a real poet in the same band? That's out there.

Back
Top Bottom