Dirty Projectors - Swing Lo Magellan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just what I was thinking, GAF. I'm only through track 6 but I almost had to pull my car over so I could weep for joy.

Even if this fails to hit the genius peak of something like Cannibal Resource, it's still damn great stuff.

The first half (not going to say "side") is significantly better. But Unto Caesar is a standout.

Favorites are Just From Chevron (THE COFF!), the title track, and About To Die.

Watching the end of the set they're doing tonight. The COFF! is now the only remotely attractive member now.

Useful Chamber is a beast live.

This was a little disappointing. A few songs I like quite a bit, but after the last album (which was the first I'd ever heard of them), I had higher expectations.

The first half of the record is better than the second.

This album is worse than Bitte Orca. So, I mean, it's your call. If you can hear anything for free once, there's no harm in trying it. I wouldn't rush out and buy Swing Lo Magellan if I disliked Bitte Orca.

Hi Custodian is cool. I really like the scene at the end when they reprise "About to Die" and everyone is super happy.

Can't wait to see these guys in a few weeks.

So, this was one of the better shows I've seen in a long time. My goodness, they're stunning live. Just sick.

The vocals! I wasn't much of a fan of Longstreth around the time of Bitte Orca, but the guy has now completely won me over. What a beautiful voice he has. Pitch perfect, really. And he's very likable on stage, dancing around and cracking jokes and what not. Kinda seems a bit like the friendly stoner down the hall in the dorms, but if the friendly stoner happens to be a genius songwriter with an immaculate singing voice.

They played probably about nine or ten of the 12 tracks on Swing Lo Magellan, about four from Bitte Orca, and also one of the songs they did Bjork (which got one of the best crowd reactions because of the vocal acrobatics by Amber and Haley).

The percussive force of their music translates a lot better live than it does on record, I think. Live, the drums and bass often sounded HUGE and occasionally came across like a really good old school hip-hop beat/groove.

They closed with "Stillness Is The Move", killed it, and Longstreth gave Coffman a high-five and they walked off stage. It was awesome.

I then had sex with her.

:up:

I listened to the "new" album again because of your concert goings this last weekend, GAF. I've always been surprised people didn't care for his voice. I never would have given the band any attention were it not for how much I liked his voice on Rise Above.

The COFFO!

How's this album aging for you guys? I haven't heard it in forever.

I lol'd.

I've been listening to it recently. I really like it, and I love his vocals. Doesn't sound like anybody else. Swing Lo hasn't grabbed me the way Bitte Orca did but I still quite like it.

I'm so bummed I missed the show I had tickets for over the summer in that tiny theater in West Texas where I visit a lot. I gave the tickets to some friends there who had never heard of them and they were completely blown away. Maybe I mentioned that earlier in this thread.

Yeah, it's just Dave this time around and...it's depressing as it sounds. He also doesn't play guitar on this one, despite being an extremely good guitar player. Instead, he follows the trend of making James Blake-style R&B with a hacked copy of ableton/logic pro/whatever.

Not my cup of tea.

I've never listened to Dirty Proj., outside of Bitte Orca when that came out (though that went over my head). I really fucking love Little Bubble, but I think I greatly prefer the single edit to the album version???? Am I insane or is it quite different??

Back
Top Bottom