DB's Hi-Rez Audio Thread - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Danny Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Posts: 9,157
Local Time: 09:19 PM
DB's Hi-Rez Audio Thread

I'm sure no one cares, but I thought it may be nice to have a thread to discuss high resolution audio releases, whether downloads or on disc.

I will post periodic updates that nobody will read.

Random Access Memories should be available tomorrow on HDTracks. I expect it to be 24/88.2

Boards of Canada's new album, Tomorrow's Harvest, will be released in 24-bit WAV on Bleep.com.

R.E.M.'s Green reissue is available in 24/96 and 24/192, but is way overpriced. No thank you.
__________________

__________________
Danny Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Danny Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Posts: 9,157
Local Time: 09:19 PM
Almost forgot, Local Natives are offering a free download of Wooly Robot, which is a reworking of the track Wooly Mammoth from their recent album. It's in 24/48 WAV.

Wooly Robot by Local Natives on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds
__________________

__________________
Danny Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 11:19 PM
I'm admittedly completely ignorant to the values of these types of files or discs versus a typical CD. Please enlighten me.
__________________
u2popmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Danny Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Posts: 9,157
Local Time: 09:19 PM
Most digital music is encoded using pulse code modulation. The analog waveform's amplitude is sampled at regular intervals.

The two numbers refer to the frequency at which the waveform is sampled and the bit depth of each sample. The larger the bit depth, the more accurately each sample represents the true value of the amplitude and the larger the available dynamic range (difference between the loudest and quietest possible sound)

The CD standard is 16 bit, 44.1 kHz, so the amplitude is sampled 44,100 times per second and each sample is 16 bits, so there are 2^16 possible values.

The audio on a standard DVD and DAT is 16 bit, 48 kHz.

Most high resolution audio is usually one of a few combinations of sampling frequency and bit depth

24 bit, 44.1 kHz
24 bit, 48 kHz
24 bit, 88.2 kHs
24 bit, 96 kHz
24 bit, 192 kHz

24/96 is often used for studio masters these days.

SACD uses a technology called pulse density modulation that is beyond my understanding.
__________________
Danny Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
War Child
 
greenlight7-11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 616
Local Time: 10:19 PM
I think there are several R.E.M. albums that are available to download this way, not just Green. Also, The Jesus And Mary Chain (now out of print) DualDisc reissues from 2006 have 24/96 audio on them.
__________________
greenlight7-11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
Most digital music is encoded using pulse code modulation. The analog waveform's amplitude is sampled at regular intervals.

The two numbers refer to the frequency at which the waveform is sampled and the bit depth of each sample. The larger the bit depth, the more accurately each sample represents the true value of the amplitude and the larger the available dynamic range (difference between the loudest and quietest possible sound)

The CD standard is 16 bit, 44.1 kHz, so the amplitude is sampled 44,100 times per second and each sample is 16 bits, so there are 2^16 possible values.

The audio on a standard DVD and DAT is 16 bit, 48 kHz.

Most high resolution audio is usually one of a few combinations of sampling frequency and bit depth

24 bit, 44.1 kHz
24 bit, 48 kHz
24 bit, 88.2 kHs
24 bit, 96 kHz
24 bit, 192 kHz

24/96 is often used for studio masters these days.

SACD uses a technology called pulse density modulation that is beyond my understanding.
How noticeable is the difference, and what is required to notice (high volumes, audiophile equipment, etc.)?
__________________
u2popmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Danny Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Posts: 9,157
Local Time: 09:19 PM
The minimum sampling frequency required to represent a signal is twice the maximum frequency of the signal. Since human hearing extends only to 20 kHz and declines with age, 44.1 kHz should be plenty with some headroom. There are plenty of theories as to why higher sampling frequencies should sound better, mostly dealing with the sharp rolloff of digital filters, but it's a controversial area.

24-bit is capable of more dynamic range and detail compared to 16-bit. There should be less distortion in louder passages. Using just my outboard DAC and Audio Technica headphones, I'm pretty sure I can hear the difference. TKOL is an example of albums I own in both formats, and the 24-bit sounds fuller to my ears. I've never actually submitted myself to blind testing, though.
__________________
Danny Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Danny Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Posts: 9,157
Local Time: 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight7-11 View Post
I think there are several R.E.M. albums that are available to download this way, not just Green. Also, The Jesus And Mary Chain (now out of print) DualDisc reissues from 2006 have 24/96 audio on them.
Yeah, a lot of R.E.M.'s catalog was available on DVD Audio a few years back. The high res downloads are mostly rips of these DVD-A's. I bought Document in that format, but it was too expensive to replace my whole collection.
__________________
Danny Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #9
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 11:19 PM
I'm beginning to doubt your commitment to DVDA.
__________________
u2popmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #10
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,039
Local Time: 04:19 PM
Fucking nerds!
__________________
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:13 PM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,504
Local Time: 01:19 AM
Just admit you like 24 bit for the same reason I run dual graphics cards on my computer. Not because my eyes can detect any gameplay difference in the picture, but because I fucking can.
__________________
IWasBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Danny Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Posts: 9,157
Local Time: 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
I'm beginning to doubt your commitment to DVDA.
It gets expensive. Everything in moderation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Fucking nerds!
Guilty. Have I mentioned my degree is in electrical engineering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
Just admit you like 24 bit for the same reason I run dual graphics cards on my computer. Not because my eyes can detect any gameplay difference in the picture, but because I fucking can.
I admit nothing.
__________________
Danny Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Danny Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Posts: 9,157
Local Time: 09:19 PM
Trouble Will Find Me is available in 24-bit FLAC from 7digital.

Trouble Will Find Me (FLAC Versio... (2013) | The National | MP3 Downloads 7digital United States
__________________
Danny Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:46 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Danny Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Posts: 9,157
Local Time: 09:19 PM


__________________
Danny Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:47 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Danny Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Posts: 9,157
Local Time: 09:19 PM


__________________

__________________
Danny Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com