David Bowie: The next thread and the next thread... - Page 58 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2016, 12:50 AM   #856
The Male

Local Time: 08:41 AM
David Bowie: The next thread and the next thread...

I'll just be honest with you guys and say that outside of Blackstar none of his post-Scary Monsters albums have blown me away the way Low, Aladdin Sane and Station to Station do. Lots of memorable gems scattered across them, and perhaps underrated overall, but I don't think someone is a bad fan for only having 1969-1980 material in their top 10. That run was astounding, among the very best ever.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:33 AM   #857
45:33

Local Time: 01:41 AM
Yes, that too. I think what frustrates Laz (and me as I hear more of it) is that there's a lot of good stuff that gets overlooked because they're from an era that isn't as celebrated.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:47 AM   #858
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:41 AM
I'll randomly share this:
Old 02-21-2016, 02:13 AM   #859
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I'll just be honest with you guys and say that outside of Blackstar none of his post-Scary Monsters albums have blown me away the way Low, Aladdin Sane and Station to Station do. Lots of memorable gems scattered across them, and perhaps underrated overall, but I don't think someone is a bad fan for only having 1969-1980 material in their top 10. That run was astounding, among the very best ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Yes, that too. I think what frustrates Laz (and me as I hear more of it) is that there's a lot of good stuff that gets overlooked because they're from an era that isn't as celebrated.

Yeah, I didn't say anything about a Top 10. I'm talking about people not people being familiar with the later work AT ALL.

And I'm not sure what your criteria is for being blown away, but I don't know what other reaction you can have for something as outre and legitimately weird as Outside. It may not be a masterpiece but it's one hell of an artistic statement.

Regardless, Heathen stacks up song-for-song against any classic album, if you're just looking for memorable tracks. And in my opinion it smokes Scary Monsters, and obviously Let's Dance as well.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:18 AM   #860
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:41 AM
My problem with the Flips doing a Bowie session has very little to do with them picking early Bowie songs and a lot to do with Wayne Coyne being insufferable.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:53 AM   #861
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
And I'm not sure what your criteria is for being blown away, but I don't know what other reaction you can have for something as outre and legitimately weird as Outside. It may not be a masterpiece but it's one hell of an artistic statement.

Regardless, Heathen stacks up song-for-song against any classic album, if you're just looking for memorable tracks. And in my opinion it smokes Scary Monsters, and obviously Let's Dance as well.
Heathen is great: well-paced and full of a kind of moody contemplation. I can't really get behind Outside, though. The thing is absolutely interminable, so unnecessarily drawn out that its interesting moments are lost in a sea of nonsense.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:46 PM   #862
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:41 PM
Outside is excellent. It's just way too long, but the highs of that record are some of his best work, at least post-“Heroes“. The final third is especially impressive.

Heathen starts off great, but loses me a bit in the 2nd half.

Blackstar is by far and away the most consistent of the three.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:10 PM   #863
Blue Crack Supplier

It's easier to be consistent when you only have 7 tracks...
Old 02-21-2016, 03:15 PM   #864
Blue Crack Addict

Outside, Heathen and Black Tie White Noise are all exceptional. The other two are more recent discoveries but I've been a big fan of Heathen for a decade or more. Albums holds up strong.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:06 PM   #865
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:41 PM
Quote:
I thought that was obvious enough.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:07 PM   #866
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
It's not cheating. It's restraint. Station to Station only had six and it's one of my favorite albums of all-time.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:41 PM   #867
Blue Crack Distributor

After listening to a lot of Bowie on Spotify, I've added the following to my arsenal:

Pin Ups
Station to Station
Low
"Heroes"
Heathen

Have not ordered yet, but will buy soon:

Diamond Dogs
Earthling

I really didn't care for Young Americans, alas. Outside was interesting. Black Tie White Noise was half good, half boring.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:22 PM   #868
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
I don't know how highly regarded 'Young Americans' - that odd phase in between the glam years and the Berlin years - is among the Bowie contingent around here, but man 'Somebody Up There Likes Me' is a stunner.

Pretty sure Beck must have had Young Americans playing on repeat when he was doing Midnite Vultures.
This was the first Bowie album I ever purchased. I hadn't listened to it for many, many, MANY years, and just played it again a few days ago.

Wow. I'd forgotten how much I'd loved this record when it was first released. "Somebody Up There Likes Me" IS a stunner, just fantastic. I also loved "Fascination" so much at the time, and it sounds so great still.

I am in awe that Bowie decided he wanted to make a soul ("plastic soul") album--and he did it. He pulled it off, brilliantly. I remember it was an extremely big deal when he made the transition from glam to soul, and he made it work. Of course, it helps when you've got talent like Luther Vandross and David Sanborn alongside you.

"Across The Universe" IS pretty bad, though...!

Right now, I'm stuck on "The Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust" & can't get enough of it. I thought "Low" was my new favorite album (over "Achtung Baby" & "London Calling," even!), but I'm rethinking that...this album is just so damn fine. And some of the songs worked even better in concert. "Moonage Daydream" from the Ziggy Stardust documentary...there are no words for its magnificence. Mick Ronson was a guitar god and what a loss to the world that he died so young.

I will never forgive myself--never--that I was not more of a David Bowie fan while he was alive. I liked him, I had a few records, I was a casual fan, but now? He never leaves my iDevices & his songs go through my head overandoverandoverandover...
Old 02-21-2016, 09:27 PM   #869
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:41 AM
^Eh, I don't mind Across the Universe, although it's sitting a little oddly on the record, like, not sure what it's doing there. Maybe it made some sense at the time with him also collaborating with Lennon on 'Fame'.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:38 PM   #870
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

http://youtu.be/dTLkbdtTVYA

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference