Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^that... is fucking sensational. But you've probably ruined the song for me now :lol:

I haven't done one of these in a long while, probably because I'm not 14 any more, but here goes anyway.

Give Life Back To Music - cool start, cool beat, good song but I feel the robot vocals don't suit the song that well, bit lacklustre given the music. 7/10
Game of Love - Boring, horrible placement at track two on the album. Robot vocals sound terrible. 4/10
Giorgio By Moroder - early and obvious highlight. Like Giorgio's introduction and then from about two minutes on it just gets better and better in the way all good electro music does. The final three or so minutes are fucking great, and sound so good with the live drums. 10/10
Within - Boring, again horrible placement coming after such a good song, and the robot vocals again don't suit and sound terrible. 3/10
Instant Crush - Can't say I've ever been a big Casablancas man, probably through ignorance more than anything, but this song is solid without being spectacular. I like the churning guitar during the verses that helps keep the pace up. 6/10
Lose Yourself to Dance - SWEAT SWEAT SWEAT LOSE YOURSELF TO DANCE. Cool tune with great guitar from Nile Rodgers and good Pharrell vocals but it doesn't go anywhere. 7/10
Touch - A big fan, but with reservations. There are several points where the music cuts out just as it's getting really good, which is frustrating. But overall one of my favourites - love the spacey jazz part, and the "hold on / if love is the answer you're home" robot refrain. I'd never heard of Paul Williams but his vocals are exceptional. 9/10
Get Lucky - Have to admit I probably prefer the single version, but it might be the catchiest song of all time. Great guitar line and Pharrell slays. 10/10
Beyond - Gives way to a cool, slinky beat after a bit of an obnoxious start, but again I think it's a little boring and the robot vocals don't do much for me. 5/10
Motherboard - Good, moody instrumental piece with some dark-sounding drumming towards the end. 6/10
Fragments of Time - Catchy, good vocals, really captures that 70s/80s/west coast-disco vibe they were going for. Nothing spectacular though. 7/10
Doin' it Right - Love it. An example where the robot vocals fit perfectly well, a great beat, and great vocals from Panda Bear, who I've never been a big fan of. Fits the song really well. Could listen to it for ages. Not a banger, but still has a great chilled dance feel to it. Second single? 10/10
Contact - A reward for listening to the whole album. The first part is lifted from the song below and serves as a great introduction and then after about 90 seconds Daft Punk take over. From the moment the drums come in about 1:40 it's just an absolute banger, like Giorgio by Moroder it sounds thrilling with the live drums. The high-pitched scratching is one of the few things on the album reminiscent of Homework (Rolling & Scratching, Rock & Roll). I was just listening to it driving home from work, and I was pulled over for speeding. The cop asked for an explanation and I told him I was listening to this and he let me off. 10/10

So yeah, overall, I do like it. Get Lucky, Contact, Giorgio by Moroder, Touch and Doin' it Right are my favourite tracks, but there is some pretty boring filler. The highs are very high. Do hope they end up touring it.

They cut the opening track short, played about half of track two, played all of Giorgio by Moroder, played about half of track four, cut it, then went back to the opener, played Get Lucky, the opener again, Doin It Right and Contact. It was an absolute shambles.

It also closed at 130am, and the DJ finished by playing Around the World... we actually had to convince him to play One More Time, during which I stood behind a sheet on a podium behind the stage and danced, appearing as a silhouette to the crowd. Went off.

See, if you were James Murphy, this shit would have happened at your house. Or something.

For some reason i read that as "angrily await".

grumpyhyper2.gif

I listened to the stream 2, 2 & 1/2 times, and then I listened to the first half on my drive home after I bought it.

It's good, but not my favorite. I can appreciate and applaud what they were going for. I just wish the songs on the first half were better. I feel like they just needed some better melodies, riffs, what have you. I like the 2nd half way better. The slow songs in the first half just kind of bring the whole thing down for me. I feel the same way about the couple slow song in the last third of Discovery too; they just don't really work. Maybe the only two Daft Punk slow songs I like are 'Fresh' and 'Digital Love'.

"Alive 2007" is AMAZING! The other day I just found a YouTube video of the whole Alive tour concert I was at. I streamed it through my big flat-screen tv and I got GOOSE BUMPS all over again! Just a mind-blowing tour! What they did and how they did it was just so future forward.

I appreciate they wanted to do an album's album, an album with live instruments, an album as an homage to what made them; I just wish they had found a way to make that album and yet still have it be modern, relevant and forward leaning. I don't think they achieved the latter. Then again, maybe the latter was never their goal.

Longtime fan of Daft Punk, first-time poster in this thread...

Bought the record on a whim yesterday, not having read any reviews and having only heard Get Lucky on the radio all of twice. Just gave it a listen, and I love Giorgio by Moroder, Motherboard, and Contact. A few of the other songs will probably be growers for me (Doin' It Right, Get Lucky, The Game of Love). The rest of it left me feeling like I was listening to a cheesy musical about robots. I haven't decided entirely how I feel about that.

So there's my quick review. A couple of standout tracks, some growers, some typical cheesy Daft Punk goodness. Glad to own it, though. I love the photograph of the keyboard in the centerfold of the booklet. And as for the Daft Punk mask I received upon purchase, I'm considering taking it to school for the kids to mess with. Some of my eighth graders are big Daft Punk fans, which I find encouraging for society as a whole.

I just find the first half exceptionally dull. Like, when people who hate Steely Dan describe them to me, they're actually describing songs like Give Life Back to Music. Light, toothless funk with no soul that's been polished to a blinding sheen.

Thank God for tracks like Contact. There's some really impressive, inspired music on this album (the aforementioned Contact, Giorgio By Mororder, Motherboard), but too much of it is wallpaper. I don't understand the gushing critical consensus at all, but I also find the album pleasant enough.

If you remove The Game Of Love and Within, the first half flows much better and the overall album length is more manageable.

Give Life Back To Music -> Giorgio By Moroder -> Instant Crush is definitely a more satisfying beginning.

Game of Love is great you guys.

And how ridiculously catchy are those vocoder vocals on Get Lucky? Still amazes me each time.

Back
Top Bottom