Crowded House and Split Enz - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Actually, it makes a surprising amount of sense - as you say, it's the cult following aspect. In North America and continental Europe (not so much the UK), they're playing theatres and clubs, mainly just to devoted hardcore fans. Very few people are going just because they heard Don't Dream It's Over on the radio. So the band are pretty free to do all kinds of weird and wonderful stuff. As a general rule, the smaller the venue, the less the band will be concerned with playing the hits.

Meanwhile, down here, they're one of the bigger bands, generally playing to arenas. So you've got heaps of people showing up just because the band's bigger singles are still thrashed to death on classic hits radio (I was going to make a list of the usual suspects, but it was going to be over ten songs). Except when they do special theatre tours, like they did in 2008, the crowd is weighted heavily in favour of casual fans rather than serious followers. That's especially why the 2011 New Zealand shows had shitty hit parade setlists; the shows were all "a day on the green" vineyard gigs, which are expensive and marketed at baby boomers with a heap of cash to blow on gigs for bands whose hits they remember from yesteryear.

The UK's kind of in between the two. The band were pretty successful for most of their career there so you get a decent amount of people showing up just for the hits, but not so many that they massively outnumber the hardcore fans who want to hear Love This Life or Kare Kare or She Goes On or whatever.
Yeah, now that you put it that way that definitely makes more sense. It just strikes me funny how the tables turn in a way on how both areas of the world respond to them.

Those New Zealand gigs you mention sound kinda sad. I totally get the nostalgia thing and all that-it happens here in the States with American bands all the time (see nearly any '80s hair metal band, for instance), and as I noted in the "Random" thread, people like the hits and not everyone's a diehard, so they're going to show up and that's fine. But yeah, it would be kind of fun if the guys were able to move around within their setlist a bit anyway and throw some fun curveballs into the mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
oh yeah, i love dizrythmia too, as any of my facebook friends might've picked up on. that's probably my favourite of theirs too.
Hehe . It's good stuff, definitely. Some classic songs on there, love the styles of music they use throughout, short and sweet in running time yet still manages to be unusual and fun and weird...I love it.

Frenzy may not be as cohesive as some of their other stuff, but there are still some songs I love from that one, too.

Quote:
the fact that i got neil and tim to sign my vinyl copy of it helps a little too.
*Narrows eyes in envy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
I'd love it if Crowded House did another concert at Sydney Harbour or whatever and just played Together Alone to a bemused crowd. And then if someone yelled out 'play 'Better Be Home Soon'', Neil would wade into the crowd and beat the shit out of him. Cuddly Neil.
I love "Better Be Home Soon", but this scenario still would be hilarious to witness.

I like Temple of Low Men, I think there's quite a few great songs on it ("Sister Madly", "In the Lowlands", to name a couple personal favorites) but for some reason I don't listen to it as much as the others. It does have "Into Temptation" on it, though, and that's my favorite Crowded House song, so there's that (weirdly, sometimes my favorite song and favorite album by a band are not one and the same).

I honestly don't know what my favorite Crowded House album would be-I think it depends on my mood some days. I do agree, though, that the self-titled one is lovely, and Together Alone is all sorts of amazing ("Nails in My Feet" and "Fingers of Love" alone...). I do like Woodface, too, though.

Glad you're liking what you've heard so far, Catman, hope you enjoy the other stuff you check out !

Old 12-15-2012, 03:46 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:25 AM
Temple of Low Men has its moments alright, but Better Be Home Soon isn't one of them (or maybe I'm just jaded from its exposure on commercial classics radio over the years). Into Temptation is great. So is When You Come.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:46 AM   #48
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Those New Zealand gigs you mention sound kinda sad. I totally get the nostalgia thing and all that-it happens here in the States with American bands all the time (see nearly any '80s hair metal band, for instance), and as I noted in the "Random" thread, people like the hits and not everyone's a diehard, so they're going to show up and that's fine. But yeah, it would be kind of fun if the guys were able to move around within their setlist a bit anyway and throw some fun curveballs into the mix.
ugh, they were. i saw the very last one in auckland. it sucked. it's the only time i've been asked to sit down at a gig, and the only time i imagine i'll oblige someone for asking. i realised the songs they were playing weren't worth standing up for anyway.

Quote:
*Narrows eyes in envy*
haha, sorry! i probably won't get it signed by anyone else though as i doubt i'll meet anyone else from the band.

i do have a signed copy of the remastered mental notes cd but as that was sold through the fan club, it's not quite the same as me handing my copy of dizrythmia personally to the guys.

oh, and tim also signed my copy of escapade.

oh oh and all the guys from crowded house signed my vinyl copy of time on earth. okay, i'm really done now, honest!

Quote:
(weirdly, sometimes my favorite song and favorite album by a band are not one and the same).
ha, i hadn't realised that, that sometimes that doesn't line up for me either. it sure doesn't for crowded house or split enz. (for anyone keeping score, for me it'd be crowded house: world where you live/temple of low men; split enz: dirty creature/dizrythmia.)
Old 12-15-2012, 08:10 AM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I've been going in chronological order now -- really enjoying these guys (can't say which is my favorite atm) What would you say is the best place to start w/ Split Enz??

Quote:
Perhaps I'm in a minority, but I've become quite sick of Better Be Home Soon just thanks to overexposure.
heh, I quite like it! But then again, I hadn't heard it before last night
Old 12-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #50
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:25 AM
It's probably not ideal to go chronologically with Split Enz, unless you feel like you need some folky, arty prog rock in your life. I would suggest True Colours is the best starting point - it's very accessible, it's their best known album, it captures them at the height of their new wave-influenced phase, and it still has all the endearing quirkiness that made them unique.

Starting with True Colours, Time & Tide, and Waiata (called Corroborree in Australia) is probably best, then work backwards to the somewhat more bizarre and out-there Frenzy and Dizryhthmia. Avoid Conflicting Emotions! And when you get up to the final album, See Ya 'Round, you'll discover that had they stuck with the original plan of it being an EP, it would have been one of the best EPs ever. Shame stretching it out to an album didn't work out so well - but it is a clear harbinger of Crowded House all the same.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #51
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Dizryhthmia

but yes, as much as i hate to admit it, i agree with axver. i am usually all for going in chronological order, but split enz are one of two bands i love that i absolutely would not recommend going in chronological order for, unless their earlier albums were your bag.

i'll admit when it comes to the enz (who i like better than crowded house, but that's just me), dizrythmia is my favourite album of theirs. dividing it by eras, my favourite early album is mental notes. late 70s is obviously dizrythmia, then my favourite 80s album is time and tide. but true colours is their most accessible by far. i'd only suggest starting with something else if you were a huge prog rock fan or something, otherwise you'll get to under the wheel and never want to hear them again, which would suck since they're so awesome (and so is the song).
Old 12-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Just came in to say that I am loving the hell out of Time and Tide
Old 12-15-2012, 11:35 PM   #53
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

yay!
Old 12-16-2012, 12:28 AM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Glad to hear it, Catman ! I'll echo Khanada, Axver's post is pretty well spot on. I first heard the band through a best of of theirs and that was nothing but their '80s songs-that side of them definitely is likely going to be easier for people to enjoy/get into. The '70s stuff didn't bother me, 'cause my dad liked some of that weird '70s style prog/art rock type music, and I tend to like folksy songs and stuff that heavily features strings and piano and all that as it is. But I also do know that sort of sound won't be everyone's bag. Hopefully you'll like the '70s stuff, though, or at least some of it, though, when you do get around to hearing it.

Quote:
ugh, they were. i saw the very last one in auckland. it sucked. it's the only time i've been asked to sit down at a gig, and the only time i imagine i'll oblige someone for asking. i realised the songs they were playing weren't worth standing up for anyway.
Poo. That does sound lame. I can't imagine ever sitting down at a concert-I go to a show, I want to be dancing around (or at least, what I like to refer to as "dancing" ) and jumping about and getting all into the show. Sorry you had a bleh time.

That said, however...

Quote:
haha, sorry! i probably won't get it signed by anyone else though as i doubt i'll meet anyone else from the band.

i do have a signed copy of the remastered mental notes cd but as that was sold through the fan club, it's not quite the same as me handing my copy of dizrythmia personally to the guys.

oh, and tim also signed my copy of escapade.

oh oh and all the guys from crowded house signed my vinyl copy of time on earth. okay, i'm really done now, honest!
...if and when you do see/meet them again, you need to take me with you. Comprende?

Quote:
ha, i hadn't realised that, that sometimes that doesn't line up for me either. it sure doesn't for crowded house or split enz. (for anyone keeping score, for me it'd be crowded house: world where you live/temple of low men; split enz: dirty creature/dizrythmia.)
Yeah, it's a weird thing, for sure. I agree with you on Dizrythmia, and I've made mention before of my love for "Message to My Girl" (I know some of you have heard it more times than you care to count and all that, but for me I just think it's a really sweet, romantic song and all sorts of loveliness, so yeah), so there's an example right there.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:33 AM   #55
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
...if and when you do see/meet them again, you need to take me with you. Comprende?
definitely! i got to meet all of crowded house and tim finn (and liam finn, as it was when he was still opening for crowded house) in nashville. so there you go!
Old 12-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
definitely! i got to meet all of crowded house and tim finn (and liam finn, as it was when he was still opening for crowded house) in nashville. so there you go!
ooh! ooh! Me, too! Me, toooooo!!

Went through Split Enz's 80's stuff last night, aaaaand... I really liked it. All of it Will be delving into the more esoteric 70's material later today!

This thread has been well worth my time
Old 12-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #57
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
ooh! ooh! Me, too! Me, toooooo!!
cool, it'll be a party in nashville! i usually have to drag along people who like to road trip to concerts, but don't really know that much of their work. so when i saw the crowdies and they opened with recurring dream, i'm having a heart attack and it's like "what's this song?" and then i had to go to jail for assault and that was a really uncomfortable drive home.
Quote:
Went through Split Enz's 80's stuff last night, aaaaand... I really liked it. All of it Will be delving into the more esoteric 70's material later today!

This thread has been well worth my time
i'm glad to hear you're enjoying their stuff so much! they're easily one of my favourite bands. (i like them better than crowded house )

keep reporting back on what you think of what you listen to. have any tracks in particular stood out to you so far, or do you think you can put yourself in the tim or neil camp yet (hint: there's only one right answer here)?
Old 12-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Woohoo! *Starts working on saving her money, makes note to start looking for travel options/tickets to Khanada's neck of the woods should the Finns come back that way...* .

Echoing her questions as well, Catman, I too definitely want to hear more about your thoughts on what you're hearing. I'm glad you're liking everything and this thread has proven useful-it's this place that kickstarted my love for the Finns, so good to see the trend is still going.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Still haven't gotten to their 70s stuff yet I'm just really enjoying a lot of the stuff I've just heard (namely "Six Months on a Leaky Boat," which seems oddly current, and "One Mouth is Fed," a song I'm currently addicted to).

I this thread

EDIT: Also, Neil Finn's voice is fantastic.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #60
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
EDIT: Also, Neil Finn's voice is fantastic.