Crowded House and Split Enz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, over the past week, I've been surprised by just how much Crowded House stuff I've heard out and about - especially since it wasn't DDIO, Weather With You, or FAYF. It's Only Natural at the supermarket here in Melbourne wasn't really a shock, but Kare Kare in a clothing shop was pretty fucking cool, and although it's one of the rare handful of Crowded House songs I really dislike, I was most surprised to hear Italian Plastic at an awesome pizza restaurant in Waipu, aka the middle of nowhere (literally the only reason for its continued existence as a township, as far as I can tell, is to be home to said awesome pizza restaurant).

That was the one nice thing about living in Colorado, some of the places I went I got to hear some random, lesser-known stuff of theirs, too (and Split Enz-I distinctly remember hearing "Six Months in a Leaky Boat" at a restaurant once. That was neat).

Also, aw, I like "Italian Plastic". And now I want to go visit that awesome pizza place as well.

i don't think i've ever heard split enz out in public ever. :grumpy: satellite radio doesn't count. as for crowded house, it's just always been the usual ddio or sss. i'm sure i heard stuff by either bands in public when i lived in nz, but i don't remember.

I've heard a fair bit of Split Enz in public over the years. Never anything really obscure, though - Six Months, History Never Repeats, Poor Boy, One Step Ahead, that sort of thing.

As for Italian Plastic, well, I once made a list ranking (almost) every Crowded House song and Italian Plastic is in the bottom five. I stand by it, and in fact I wouldn't even change the list much at all if I made it again today: Recurring Dream: Every song by Crowded House ranked - Rate Your Music

(I do need to add in Eyes Grow Heavy, Turn It Around, and Lost Island now that I've managed to find copies of them.)

So, over the past week, I've been surprised by just how much Crowded House stuff I've heard out and about - especially since it wasn't DDIO, Weather With You, or FAYF. It's Only Natural at the supermarket here in Melbourne wasn't really a shock, but Kare Kare in a clothing shop was pretty fucking cool, and although it's one of the rare handful of Crowded House songs I really dislike, I was most surprised to hear Italian Plastic at an awesome pizza restaurant in Waipu, aka the middle of nowhere (literally the only reason for its continued existence as a township, as far as I can tell, is to be home to said awesome pizza restaurant).
heh, I've had that song pretty much on repeat the past couple of days; just might be my favorite (Nails in My Feet is high up there, too) :drool:

"Nails in My Feet" :drool:. Good god, do I love that song so.

Axver, I liked reading through your list there! A few spots where you and I would disagree-some of the stuff towards the low end of your list I'd move to the high end and vice versa, but for the most part I think I could agree with a lot of that list/ranking (definitely agree with "Silent House" being the top song off Time on Earth, for instance). You're making me want to go through and do my own ranking now. Though there's a few B-sides I'm missing, too, that I'll have to track down.

As for "Italian Plastic", yeah, I dunno, I just really love that one. I like the music in it, Paul's being all charming and sounds like he's drunk on happiness or something throughout...it makes me smile when I hear it *Shrugs*. I was very happy when the guys played it at the show I was at.

Also, I have never heard this demo version of "Hole in the River" of which you speak. I'll definitely have to check it out, though, it sounds crazy.

had to give this thread a tiny bump. it seems my dad's discovered the band. this radio station on the satellite tv we subscribe to plays some split enz (and not just i got you - i've heard all sorts of songs on there before) and he heard hard act to follow and liked it. my mom happened to see him on itunes checking them out and playing i got you and was telling him before he went buying up any songs that i had their entire discography! :lol: :shh:

though on the downside this means he'll become obsessed with a song or two of theirs, play it/them to death, and i'll never want to hear them again. i really hope he latches onto a song i don't care much for to begin with.

Yeah apart from Neil there's barely anything worth noticing.

Hopefully he does sideshows.

member: madforit
reason: if you're going to only like one split enz song, it can't fucking be off conflicting emotions. christ. double banned for spelling their name "split endz".

Split Enz and Crowded House are basically the Finn Bros - and they are Kiwi

Aussies try and claim them but its the Kiwi brains that make them

CROWDED HOUSE FANS, ASSEMBLE.

So the Crowdies are playing two gigs in November on the Sydney Opera House forecourt for the twentieth anniversary of Farewell to the World, and they are reissuing all six albums and Afterglow in expanded editions that are fucking unbelievable. Never mind your unnecessary reissues with barely any added content. There is so much additional material that they're basically putting out seven new albums. It's insane. Holy shit I can't wait to finally hear the studio versions of legendary songs like Spirit of the Stairs, My Legs are Gone, Convent Girls, and the original Recurring Dream. There's even apparently a full version of I'm Not Here and a studio version of Newcastle Jam!

I am definitely fucking getting on a plane for these Sydney gigs. Holy shit I had forgotten what it felt like to be this excited about a band.

You might say that...

THIS IS MASSIVE.

https://www.crowdedhouse.com/store/

That's awesome, and I say that as one of those terrible people who is basically only interested in Together Alone. But good on them.

Wow, that's one hell of a reissue campaign. Would love to be in Sydney for those anniversary shows.

Last edited:
Ax whenever you buy tickets get me one and I'll come with you for sure :up: (if that's okay with you of course. And I assume we'll be going with Ali :lol:)

Pretty funny that NZ don't get any gigs. Guess that goes to show how all great NZ things become Australian in the end.

That's awesome, and I say that as one of those terrible people who is basically only interested in Together Alone. But good on them.

Well, that is their best album, so fair enough.

Wow, that's one hell of a reissue campaign.

No kidding. There had been rumours for a while of some sort of box set or rarities collection, but I never expected something as extensive as this. It seems like they're putting out practically everything that's in the vault. I see some fans are disappointed that a song played live called "Frank's Dark Past" isn't being released - unless it's under a different name. I haven't heard it, but apparently it was so well formed live that everybody assumed it had at least been demoed. But otherwise it seems just about everything is there, including a whole bunch of stuff nobody knew existed.

I'm so looking forward to people getting to hear the original demo of "That's What I Call Love". It's fucking funny. When the band performed it in Brisbane in 2010, Neil couldn't remember the final version and actually played the demo. :lol:

Ax whenever you buy tickets get me one and I'll come with you for sure :up: (if that's okay with you of course. And I assume we'll be going with Ali :lol:)

:up: :up:

Fanclub presale is Tuesday, it sounds like Alison is in, and tickets are about $120. I'm trying to persuade U-Wen too.

Less than half an hour until the presale. God I hate buying tickets to major events.

Got tickets to Friday. :up: :up:

Have to try for Saturday in one of the subsequent sales. Crazy how the total attendance is only 5,000.

Back
Top Bottom