Crowded House and Split Enz - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #31
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:05 AM
My listening stats to Finn are so lopsided in favour of Suffer Never, it's ridiculous.

Similar thing for me with One Nil really - first got it when I was seeking fairly different things from music and expected more in the vein of Try Whistling This. I only started to pay proper attention to it last year.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #32
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 08:05 AM
this thread needs more discussion about the video i posted.

"Because a senator - a politician - a person - who can let hang in mid-air the prospect that she might just be sticking around in part, just in case the other guy gets shot - has no business being, and no capacity to be, the President of the United States." -- Keith Olbermann
KhanadaRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #33
Vocal parasite

This thread needs more discussion about YOUR FACE.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #34
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

eww

"Because a senator - a politician - a person - who can let hang in mid-air the prospect that she might just be sticking around in part, just in case the other guy gets shot - has no business being, and no capacity to be, the President of the United States." -- Keith Olbermann
Old 12-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
this thread needs more discussion about the video i posted.
OMG I LOVE THAT VIDEOEOEOEOEOEOEOJAGL;DFSJGA SDJVSKDHF;LAKHSD;FCKHA

but srsly i just wanted to tag this thread. I'm digging these bands...
Old 12-13-2012, 11:01 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
i love both of them too. i like some of their early stuff (like pre-mental notes) but some of it is a little too folksy for me. but mental notes is easily one of my favourite albums of theirs.
Hm, I don't know how much of their pre-Mental Notes stuff I'm familiar with. But I like the folksy stuff, so hey.

Dizrythmia is my favorite of their '70s work. But I like pretty much all of it-it's just so fun and strange.

Quote:
it's funny, i had seen that first photo before and always thought it was such a strange photo, since it doesn't at all match the kind of music they ever made. i guess they were just wearing whatever was fashionable at the time and hadn't gotten to that point yet where they were wearing the weird suits and such.
Possibly, yeah. All I know is it made me laugh. A lot . The '70s really did make fashion victims out of EVERYBODY, didn't they?

Quote:
whoops, i forgot to add the word "today" in my previous post, but you got what i meant. i guess the attitude back then isn't too surprising since reruns didn't really exist so stuff was just aired once, so i guess they figured what was the need of keeping things around?
Ha, yeah, go me and my reading skills, or something! LOL.

I guess that makes sense as a reason-I can see them thinking, "Who'll be interested in this years down the line?" But then again, I tend to be a bit of a pack rat type-"You never know, this could be worth revisiting/keeping/seeing again/whatever someday!", so yeah, my attitude would definitely be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
It's a shame that whenever the Crowdies perform in Australia/New Zealand nowadays, they pretty much end up playing to huge audiences who just want the hits. The club shows in North America and Europe sound so much more vital and incredible. Just compare the setlists!
That IS very weird-you would think it'd be the other way around, given that most Americans would only know their hits, whereas most Australians/New Zealanders would know much more, if not all, of their music. Maybe the cult following here in the States helps them in that regard? I dunno.

Regarding the album talk, I like One Nil (or One All, whichever)-"Driving Me Mad", "Turn and Run", "Last to Know"-those are some of my personal favorite songs from Neil's solo work. But Try Whistling This is indeed fantastic (though I must be in a minority on liking "Dream Date"?).

I quite liked Intriguer, I do agree that between it and Time on Earth I prefer the former. But yeah, it'd be great to hear some more upbeat, weird material again, too.

And I'm with Axver on "Suffer Never". Though I think my favorite song from Finn may, MAY have to be "Angel's Heap"-I just think it's so lovely. But good stuff on there in general, yes.

And back to Khanada's request, so, if I recall rightly, they said they didn't win at that show, right? Who was it that beat them?
Old 12-13-2012, 11:20 PM   #37
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
That IS very weird-you would think it'd be the other way around, given that most Americans would only know their hits, whereas most Australians/New Zealanders would know much more, if not all, of their music. Maybe the cult following here in the States helps them in that regard? I dunno.
Actually, it makes a surprising amount of sense - as you say, it's the cult following aspect. In North America and continental Europe (not so much the UK), they're playing theatres and clubs, mainly just to devoted hardcore fans. Very few people are going just because they heard Don't Dream It's Over on the radio. So the band are pretty free to do all kinds of weird and wonderful stuff. As a general rule, the smaller the venue, the less the band will be concerned with playing the hits.

Meanwhile, down here, they're one of the bigger bands, generally playing to arenas. So you've got heaps of people showing up just because the band's bigger singles are still thrashed to death on classic hits radio (I was going to make a list of the usual suspects, but it was going to be over ten songs). Except when they do special theatre tours, like they did in 2008, the crowd is weighted heavily in favour of casual fans rather than serious followers. That's especially why the 2011 New Zealand shows had shitty hit parade setlists; the shows were all "a day on the green" vineyard gigs, which are expensive and marketed at baby boomers with a heap of cash to blow on gigs for bands whose hits they remember from yesteryear.

The UK's kind of in between the two. The band were pretty successful for most of their career there so you get a decent amount of people showing up just for the hits, but not so many that they massively outnumber the hardcore fans who want to hear Love This Life or Kare Kare or She Goes On or whatever.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-14-2012, 03:01 AM   #38
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
OMG I LOVE THAT VIDEOEOEOEOEOEOEOJAGL;DFSJGA SDJVSKDHF;LAKHSD;FCKHA

but srsly i just wanted to tag this thread. I'm digging these bands...
awesome! had you ever heard of them before? if not, you should definitely check out both bands, they touch on a lot of different musical genres so no matter what kind of music you like, chances are you'll at least like something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Hm, I don't know how much of their pre-Mental Notes stuff I'm familiar with. But I like the folksy stuff, so hey.

Dizrythmia is my favorite of their '70s work. But I like pretty much all of it-it's just so fun and strange.
oh yeah, i love dizrythmia too, as any of my facebook friends might've picked up on. that's probably my favourite of theirs too. the fact that i got neil and tim to sign my vinyl copy of it helps a little too.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:27 AM   #39
Vocal parasite

Frenzy is the best Enz. Fact.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:05 AM
I'd love it if Crowded House did another concert at Sydney Harbour or whatever and just played Together Alone to a bemused crowd. And then if someone yelled out 'play 'Better Be Home Soon'', Neil would wade into the crowd and beat the shit out of him. Cuddly Neil.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie

So I finally got around to listening to "Together Alone" -- really solid album! Which one should I check into next??
Old 12-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #42
Vocal parasite

I endorse Kieran's proposal.

Quote:
So I finally got around to listening to "Together Alone" -- really solid album! Which one should I check into next??
Most people would say Woodface - it was, after all, their biggest seller and it's the only album to feature Tim Finn as well as Neil. Personally, though, I'd recommend the self-titled debut; it also did sensationally well and features some of their biggest hits (including their two US top tens). I reckon the self-titled debut and Together Alone are, by a pretty good margin, the band's two best albums.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-14-2012, 11:21 PM   #43
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Frenzy is the best Enz. Fact.
eww.

Quote:
temple of low men is my favourite of theirs.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Most people would say Woodface - it was, after all, their biggest seller and it's the only album to feature Tim Finn as well as Neil. Personally, though, I'd recommend the self-titled debut; it also did sensationally well and features some of their biggest hits (including their two US top tens). I reckon the self-titled debut and Together Alone are, by a pretty good margin, the band's two best albums.
Quote:
temple of low men is my favourite of theirs.
Thanks, guys

I appreciate the recommendations!
Old 12-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #45
Vocal parasite

It's a shame the rest of Temple of Low Men isn't as good as I Feel Possessed and When You Come.

Perhaps I'm in a minority, but I've become quite sick of Better Be Home Soon just thanks to overexposure.

Gig pictures | Blog