I can't look people in the eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
....while talking to them. At least for a long period of time. I mean, every so often I can glance up, but other than that, I'll avert my gaze anywhere...the floor, upward, another part of their face, off to the side somewhere....
I think just having people look ME in the eye, knowing they're looking at me, makes me uncomfortable. Even around good friends. In fact, once of my biggest faults as a ballerina was that I focused too much on the fround and now enough "out at the audience." So whether I look down now because of dance, or whether I looked down at dance because I was shy, remains to be seen.

*sigh* :|

same here... hence, i'd use the :shifty: smilie, not because i'm creepy...

for me, it's more of a social anxiety more than anything... and when i catch myself doing it, i'd notice a different response from the people around me every time.

you're not alone... :hug:

ah, that's one thing I can do
I need to though because I'm in the business of making people think that I have a clue

about half the time, i dont always look people in the eyes because im shy, and also because i read lips. i am partially deaf, and it makes it harder for me to follow soft spoken conversations. so i have some sort of excuse, i guess.

:yes: Sometimes I have that problem too. I can look people I know really well in the eye, but sometimes I find it hard with people I don't know as well.

wertsie said:
:yes: Sometimes I have that problem too. I can look people I know really well in the eye, but sometimes I find it hard with people I don't know as well.

Same here. It's okay if I'm just talking to someone for a short period of time, but if I have to have a longer conversation with someone I don't know too well I start to feel awkward after looking them in the eye for awhile. Then I usually start glancing around the room.

:scratch: Maybe you guys shouldn't be so conscious about it. Wether you are looking them in the eye or not... I dunno. It's like, you are so focused on not looking directly at that person, you probably end up missing half of what they are saying. I can see the being shy thing and such, but it's really quite rude when people look around the room or at anything but you, when you are talking to them.

I had a friend that used to look at my mouth when I spoke. :angry: Really aggravated me.
I have another friend that looks at everything but me when I talk, :crack: It always makes me feel like I am boring him or something, so you should take that into consideration.
Your shyness, could in turn be making others feel awful. :(

I've had to really work at it because when I was growing up, in Indonesia, it was kinda rude to maintain direct eye contact for too long. So I learned not to, but then upon returning to America found out that people would think you shady or shy or something if you didn't. So I practice. :D

The_Sweetest_Thing said:
....while talking to them. At least for a long period of time. I mean, every so often I can glance up, but other than that, I'll avert my gaze anywhere...the floor, upward, another part of their face, off to the side somewhere....

Me too. Especially at the floor.

I have a hard time maintaining eye contact to bc I have what is called "Lazy eye" what that means is that I sometimes dont look like am looking at you bc my eyes are crossing and other times I dont have control of what they are doing. (If that makes any sense at all) so I used to get teased alot when I was younger and still do bc its soo different. thats why i have a hard time making eye contact.

My little cousin had a lazy eye. They corrected it with laser surgery. It's entirely gone, but nearly.
I think it's cute. :cute:

I do that too, for example if there are people around me and I am the centre of the attention during the conversation, I'll look the other way (or look down into the table). I guess I'm shy. I easily make eye contact when others speak though.

OMG, I have the most hideous preschool pic, I had a lazy eye as a kid and eventually had surgery for it, but lordy I look like the biggest doofus in that pic. And *yay* for it being immortalized on a Christmas ornament so I can be reminded of it every stinkin' year. :|

I have my moments, but mainly I'm pathetically shy

I sometimes think people might think I'm shifty because I avert my eyes so much.I seem to recall someone saying if someone can't hold your gaze it's a sign they have a guilty conscience( or some such shit, the notion seems to have stuck with me)I like to think I'm as honest as the day as long, so I wish I didn't look shifty.
I love my sunglasses.

I don't know if you guys want to hear this next bit....nah.

adamswildhoney said:
I have a hard time maintaining eye contact to bc I have what is called "Lazy eye" what that means is that I sometimes dont look like am looking at you bc my eyes are crossing and other times I dont have control of what they are doing. (If that makes any sense at all) so I used to get teased alot when I was younger and still do bc its soo different. thats why i have a hard time making eye contact.

I have the exact same problem! I guess I could have it corrected if I got laser surgery, but it's always seemed like such a scary, drastic step.

I've noticed that maintaining eye contact boosts self-esteem and gives me the upper hand in arguments. I've also noticed that people who can hold eye contact for long periods of time give of the impression that they are confident and in control on the conversation.

I find myself all too often doing the same thing, often spending more time wondering how long I should maintain eye contact before I worry the person I'm talking to. Angel is right on the mark about not being so conscious and aware of what you're eyes are doing...the difficulty comes in shutting out that side which I have yet to do :|

Danospano said:
I've noticed that maintaining eye contact boosts self-esteem and gives me the upper hand in arguments. I've also noticed that people who can hold eye contact for long periods of time give of the impression that they are confident and in control on the conversation.

I found this so true mtself Danospano. After dealing with people out in the work place I have become more self confident by making eye contact with them.

I used to have a horrendous problem with social phobia; I am still in therapy getting it straightened out. One of the things I could not do was look people in the eye. But now, I have no problems with it...it shows people that you are genuinely interested in them and what they have to say, even though you really were interested the whole time but were afraid to make eye contact.

I've taken the advice to heart and have tried to look people in the ey more. It seems to be effective in that I feel like I'm holding people's attention better. But the recent news is that this is like, a family thing. My brother doesn't maintain eye contact very long either. Or my sister. My father, margianlly.

Then my mom just looks you right in the eye and practically stares you down:shrug:

I always have this weird thing about not getting locked into eye contact with people. Y'know where you make eye contact with a person you're talking to, and they just keep staring really intensely at you and you feel like it'd be rude to look away or something. I hate that. So I tend to look at my feet when I'm talking to people. I'm sure they think I'm slightly weird. I'm not so sure that they're wrong. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom