US Politics VI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Democrats need to start thinking about getting votes from places other than the already existing voters, is my point.

Indeed.

Democrats fretting over midterms

Concerns are growing that they're focused too much on the president's 'carnival' — and not enough on what they'd do in the majority.

Democrats on the far ends of the party's ideological spectrum continue to battle over what their focus should be in the election — and how much of it should center on President Donald Trump.

...the party's lead has been narrowing for weeks. The latest POLITICO/Morning Consult poll showed the Democratic advantage erased completely. It had Republicans with a 1-point lead on the generic ballot and Trump gaining in favorability (although 47 percent of those polled still disapprove of the job he's doing).

Combine that with recent polls showing the GOP tax bill, which Pelosi last year derided as “Armageddon,” increasing in popularity, and Democrats are on edge.

Last edited:
Explains why Trump keeps trying to blame Obama for Russia over and over.

Kinda feels like something big could be coming soon. Maybe the Kush gets his named called ?

CPAC giving Nunes an award for his work on Russia investigation was a fitting end.

What a dangerous bunch of people.

Wonder if something newsworthy is going to break soon? Trump has spent all morning going off on the Investigation

Clearly this is what innocent people do

For what it's worth, I believe Trump is convinced he hasn't "colluded" with the Russians (whether that's true or not) to "hack the election." I actually think his panic comes from a worry that Mueller will find out things about his finances he prefer people not know.

Either he's done something illegal in the way he's financed his "properties", or he's simply afraid it will come out that he's not worth nearly as much as he pretends he is. Or other potentially illegal or embarrassing things not related to "collusion." And even if it's simply embarrassment he's trying to avoid, for Trump his net worth is tied into his whole identity. I think he'd rather be accused of collusion than being exposed to be merely super rich and not mega rich.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I believe Trump is convinced he hasn't "colluded" with the Russians (whether that's true or not) to "hack the election." I actually think his panic comes from a worry that Mueller will find out things about his finances he prefer people not know.

Either he's done something illegal in the way he's financed his "properties", or he's simply afraid it will come out that he's not worth nearly as much as he pretends he is. Or other potentially illegal or embarrassing things not related to "collusion." And even if it's simply embarrassment he's trying to avoid, for Trump his net worth is tied into his whole identity. I think he'd rather be accused of collusion than being exposed to be merely super rich and not mega rich.
I think it's entirely possible that the Trumps area bunch of idiotic patsies who were taken advantage of by the Russians based on Russian knowledge of/involvement in past financial misdeeds and other delightful treats.

I do think there's more there then simply hiding ones net worth - Trump has remade his career and finances based on shady dealings with all comers - and I think it's likely that he was compromised along the way. Whether he knew or knows that he's compromised is a different story.

I do think some of the surrounding characters, however, and this includes some current congressmen, are complicit more in line with Manafort and Flynn. And even in the scenario where Trump is just a big dumbass in the middle who doesn't know his ass from his elbow, that he allowed himself to be surrounded and manipulated by nefarious characters who helped guide the ship into those murky waters.

I wonder what Mueller has up his sleeve.

Despite what the talking heads on 24/7 news say, this really isn't the classic way you build a conspiracy case. Yes, you definitely get people to flip and work you way up, so from that perspective it is. But usually what happens is prosecutors get the smaller fish to plead to substantive elements of the conspiracy, and the "deal" part of it comes in sentencing. They plea to conspiracy and whatever else the State wants to throw at them, flip & cooperate, and the State recommends a more lenient sentence. But only after the plea to some serious sh*t.

The reason for this is apparent...one important way prosecutors prove the existence of a conspiracy is to get people to plead guilty and admit to being part of the conspiracy. But Mueller's not doing that...these guys are being charged with crimes only tangentially related to the campaign. Even the charges he's dropping don't appear to be related to anything that could be described as "collusion".

Obviously Mueller knows what he's doing, and he no doubt has a plan. I'm just wondering when we're going to start seeing substantive charges against Trump, or someone in his inner circle, related to a conspiracy with the Russians to compromise the election. There is either a lot more to come, or the case is going in a completely different direction.

It's only Tuesday

Gates has all but flipped
Kushner had his top secret clearance denied
Stories are flying about Kush's business contacts
Roger Stone lied about his contacts with Wikileaks
US Intel confirmed Russia hacked/compromised seven states prior to 2016 election...WITCH HUNT
Hope Hicks spoke (not really) to Intel Committee, but she's already spoken to Mueller
NRA still wins

If the Democrats sweep back into power in November, is Trump going to blame the Russians?

If somehow the Republicans manage to hang on, will Democrats?

Poor Facebook. Pretty much every political ad this season is going to be flagged by someone who thinks it was put there by a Russian troll.

Alas, it will probably be a split decision, with Democrats taking the House and Republicans keeping the Senate. In which case who knows who gets the blame. Probably Churchill.

There’s no way this gets better for Trump.

Every day we get closer to the end

Can there be multiple obstruction charges ? Or just file it under one large one ?

Cause Trump has basically committed it every other day

I'm no lawyer but I imagine you can approach it either way, but unless it's for two different crimes (obstructing two different crimes), it might be a home run swing to try to go after someone multiple times for obstruction of the same case.

With that being said, again, not a lawyer. Dunno.

Red baiting is extremely good now.

You rang? :D

I did a whole post to you about 1 1/2 weeks ago unfortunately I forgot to copy it in case I'd lose it. The free subway (public transit) WiFi cuts off every hour- but you can just reconnect. Unfortunately the post was just at that cut off as I sent it, and my battery was too little to redo it.

So soon I'll properly reply to you. Sunday or next week

They get away with everything, I know, but man, this Kushner/Qatar thing feels particularly difficult for them to get around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom