Proposition 8 discussion continued - Page 31 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2008, 10:54 AM   #451
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
You know, that comment might be cute or funny if this weren't an incredibly hurtful issue for many people. Try empathy.
Empathy is saved for a select group, I guess

Old 11-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #452
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:48 PM
My favourite argument about gay marriage has to be that being gay is unnatural; it doesn't matter if it is or not look at the world we live in.

Such great natural things such as planes and cars; I mean we never do unnatural things do we?

I'd like it so much better if people actually came up with either decent arguments about it or just come out and say how bigoted they are. It'd be so much better than all the bad arguments like the unnatural one...

Old 11-18-2008, 08:32 PM   #453
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:48 PM

psst:

Quote:
This view is not a doctrine of the Church and has never been practiced by the Church at any time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
This seems like some frightening ideasBlood atonement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The repudiation built on the idea that it should only be practiced in a theocracy is a mirror of Hizb ut Tahrir declaring that homosexuals and apostates should only be killed when true Islam dominates a society.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:57 PM   #454
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:48 AM
Can you say that religiously sanctioned capital punishment is always wrong?
Old 11-18-2008, 11:05 PM   #455
ONE
love, blood, life

yes.

Capital Punishment
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints regards the question of whether and in what circumstances the state should impose capital punishment as a matter to be decided solely by the prescribed processes of civil law. We neither promote nor oppose capital punishment.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:15 PM   #456
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints regards the question of whether and in what circumstances the state should impose capital punishment as a matter to be decided solely by the prescribed processes of civil law.
Since when is capital punishment part of civil law??
Old 11-19-2008, 12:20 AM   #457
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
yes.

Capital Punishment
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints regards the question of whether and in what circumstances the state should impose capital punishment as a matter to be decided solely by the prescribed processes of civil law. We neither promote nor oppose capital punishment.
You didn't answer my question, is it always wrong?
Old 11-19-2008, 12:22 AM   #458
She's the One

Local Time: 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
You didn't answer my question,

Don't get your hopes up.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:31 AM   #459
ONE
love, blood, life

Silence can be incriminating, is religiously backed capital punishment always wrong?
Old 11-19-2008, 09:20 AM   #460
ONE
love, blood, life

what part of yes, didnt you understand?
Old 11-19-2008, 10:56 AM   #461
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishteen View Post
My favourite argument about gay marriage has to be that being gay is unnatural; it doesn't matter if it is or not look at the world we live in.

here's what you say to that.

it is true that being gay is abnormal.

but so is being left-handed. so is having red hair.

being gay is a naturally occurring abnormality.

and if anyone tries to throw out the "nature vs. nurture" argument, all you have to say is that all sexual orientation is involuntary. it's likely a mix of nature and nurture, probably more nature, but the individual plays no role in who he/she is attracted to.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:00 AM   #462
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
yes.

Capital Punishment

i see.

so LDS only gets involved in politics and spends upwards of $30m when they're seeking to demean and rip apart couples who love each other, but not when it comes to putting criminals to death or not because of the whole "render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's."

this really does sum it up for me.

why the obsession with sex? that's all it comes down to.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:43 AM   #463
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:48 PM
^ Families more than sex per se, I think. Although there are obvious links between the two (reproduction, sanctioned 'stages of life,' etc.). Most churches recognize that they don't really have much social and political clout anymore when it comes to things like the criminal justice system, but on matters that could be construed as 'family issues,' they do.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:25 PM   #464
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
^ Families more than sex per se, I think. Although there are obvious links between the two (reproduction, sanctioned 'stages of life,' etc.). Most churches recognize that they don't really have much social and political clout anymore when it comes to things like the criminal justice system, but on matters that could be construed as 'family issues,' they do.

i still think it's about sex. "family" being a stand-in for s-e-x.

saying you are "pro-family" or whatever pretty much means that you think other people should only be having sex within the bounds of matrimony, and it's a way to make sure that the only kind of s-e-x being "promoted" is that which involves penises and vaginas, since those make more family.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:27 PM   #465
Blue Crack Supplier

a possible plan of action to consider:

Quote:
I no longer recognize marriage. It’s a new thing I’m trying.

Turns out it’s fun.

Yesterday I called a woman’s spouse her boyfriend.

Quote:
She says, correcting me, “He’s my husband,”
“Oh,” I say, “I no longer recognize marriage.”
The impact is obvious. I tried it on a man who has been in a relationship for years,

Quote:
“How’s your longtime companion, Jill?”
“She’s my wife!”
“Yeah, well, my beliefs don’t recognize marriage.”
Fun. And instant, eyebrow-raising recognition. Suddenly the majority gets to feel what the minority feels. In a moment they feel what it’s like to have their relationship downgraded, and to have a much taken-for-granted right called into question because of another’s beliefs.

Just replace the words husband, wife, spouse, or fiancé with boyfriend, girlfriend, special friend, or longtime companion. There is a reason we needed stronger words for more serious relationships. We know it; now they can see it.

A marriage is a lot of things. Culturally, it’s a declaration to the community that two people are now a unit, and that unity should be respected. Legally, it’s a set of rights and responsibilities. And spiritually, it’s whatever your beliefs think it is.

That’s what’s so great about America. As a constitutionally secular nation, or at least in reality a vaguely pluralistic nation, we can all have our own spiritual take on what marriage is. What’s troublesome is when one group’s spiritual beliefs deny the cultural and legal rights of another.

But, back to the point. They say their beliefs don’t recognize my marriage, I say my beliefs don’t recognize theirs. Simple. It may seem petty, and obviously the legal part of the cultural/legal/spiritual trilogy is flip-floppy, but it may be the cultural part that really matters.

People get married to be recognized as a permanent couple. To be acknowledged by friends, family, and strangers as being off the market, in a relationship, totally hooked up, yikes… it’s impossible to say without saying ‘married.’ We wear rings to declare this!

So, we can take this away. We can refuse to recognize marriage in the cultural sense. It is totally within our rights, as Americans, to follow our beliefs and recognize or not recognize what we like.

I guess this is a call out to all Americans with beliefs similar to mine.

If you believe that all people should have equal rights, and if you believe that marriage is one of the greatest destinations of a relationship, then perhaps you believe that nobody should have marriage, until everybody does.

That’s what I believe.