Proposition 8 discussion continued - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-15-2008, 11:52 AM   #301
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,272
Local Time: 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
snide comment wreaking w liberal consternation.

<>
Yeah, it's snide to expect that legal matters be addressed by people actually licensed to practice law.
__________________

__________________
anitram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:02 PM   #302
Refugee
 
toscano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,032
Local Time: 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Yeah, it's snide to expect that legal matters be addressed by people actually licensed to practice law.
The whole "Activist judges suck, the people should decide" line is such a crock.

if they held a referendum today in California to rescind sales tax and have all sales taxes ever paid to be refunded and to make sales tax unconstitutional, it would get passed by a massive majority. We'd be bankrupt but hey, the people have spoken !

Sometimes, people who actually have the appropriate training do actually have to do their jobs.

If they make abortion unconstitutional I doubt you'd hear any complaining about activist judges from the bigots of the LDS, catholic church or rick fucking warren.
__________________

__________________
toscano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:10 PM   #303
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,272
Local Time: 08:30 PM
There are probably states in the USA where if you put the question:

"Is Mormonism a cult?"

on a ballot, you could get 50%+1 to say yes.
__________________
anitram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:11 PM   #304
Refugee
 
toscano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,032
Local Time: 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
There are probably states in the USA where if you put the question:

"Is Mormonism a cult?"

on a ballot, you could get 50%+1 to say yes.
Yeah, every state except utah....
__________________
toscano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #305
Refugee
 
toscano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,032
Local Time: 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
There are probably states in the USA where if you put the question:

"Is Mormonism a cult?"

on a ballot, you could get 50%+1 to say yes.
And the biggest bankrollers to "yes on LDS being a cult" would be the evangelicals........
__________________
toscano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:14 PM   #306
Refugee
 
toscano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,032
Local Time: 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
It's already happened, let me explain.

In my faith, we marry for eternity. She is not of my faith, so I had a decision to make: we both understood we could only be married for time.
all that proves is that even mormons appreciate a nice rack. A nice rack for time, we'll deal with eternity if it exists eh ?

sneaking suspicion they're bolt-ons though......
__________________
toscano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:28 PM   #307
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,332
Local Time: 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
So, even though my state's Constitution has an equal protection clause, gay couples shouldn't expect equal protection under the law in my state? The laws don't apply to them equally?
Still waiting for a direct answer.
__________________
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:43 PM   #308
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Tiger Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Everglades
Posts: 4,740
Local Time: 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
Funny you should choose a dolphin to illustrate your point:

YouTube - Homosexuality in dolphins
__________________
Tiger Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:12 PM   #309
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Still waiting for a direct answer.

Seems like Gays have work to do in your state legally-if that's the case.

<>
__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:17 PM   #310
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Edge View Post
Funny you should choose a dolphin to illustrate your point:

YouTube - Homosexuality in dolphins
interesting.
im glad the homo dolphins do not hate on the hetro dolphins

<>
__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:18 PM   #311
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Yeah, it's snide to expect that legal matters be addressed by people actually licensed to practice law.

if the measure have went your way-i doubt your feelings about it would be the same.

<>
__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:19 PM   #312
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
the oppoents of the prop are trying to say it is an argument against homosexuality-when in it's not.

they've made great leaps of illogic to redefine the intent of the prop and have become intolerant haters and monsters that they so despise in the process.


<>
But it is an argument against homosexuality. It's saying, "You're not allowed to have equal rights. And, even if you were, it cannot be the same word, because it's not the same." That's "separate but equal," a proven failure in this country.

The intent of Proposition 8 is a simple one: to revoke the rights given to citizens by the Supreme Court of California (the point being that there are supposed to be rights not put up to vote, like the Bill of Rights) through bigotry and fear mongering because of ignorance.

I've yet to see you make a reasonable argument against that.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:20 PM   #313
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
interesting.
im glad the homo dolphins do not hate on the hetro dolphins

<>
Intolerance of bigoted heterosexuals is different from intolerance of all heterosexuals.

One is legitimate and reasonable (the former), one is not (the latter).
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:20 PM   #314
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Tiger Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Everglades
Posts: 4,740
Local Time: 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
interesting.
im glad the homo dolphins do not hate on the hetro dolphins

<>
Homosexuals don't hate me...

but maybe that's because I don't resent them.
__________________
Tiger Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:23 PM   #315
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
It's already happened, let me explain.

In my faith, we marry for eternity. She is not of my faith, so I had a decision to make: we both understood we could only be married for time.

I could have ended our relationship, or married her for "until death due us part" like other Orthodox Christian faiths do.

In our faith we can choose between the two.

That's what we did we married for time-by a Mormon Bishop.

She holds no animosity to Mormons because we weren't married the traditional Mormon way (for eternity) nor does she think that Mormons are bigoted- like many mean spirited posters have suggested here.

She's made good LDS friends that don't try to prosletyze her and accept her for who she is. We are not looked down by not having an Eternal Marriage.

She's different from me, beautiful and I love her for it.

<>
Religious marriage and legal marriage are two entirely different things. Nathan would even emphasize this, and he is on your side of this discussion.

Thus, your point has no bearing on this discussion, because your rights as a Mormon are completely different from your rights as an American citizen.
__________________

__________________
phillyfan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com