One solution or compromise on the issue of gay marriage... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
looking at those sticky scriptures.


...and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.
__________________

__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #32
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,234
Local Time: 07:16 PM
Could you be any more condescending?
__________________

__________________
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #33
The Fly
 
AttnKleinkind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 181
Local Time: 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
It is if the two married people treat it as sacred. And it isn't if they don't.
Simply because people abuse, or take for granted the meaning of something doesn't mean that there is no real meaning. Meaning, or sanctity cannot be decided or arbitrarily assigned to something; you cannot have meaning based on subjective opinions because then it is actually not meaning at all. It is simply someone's opinion of something, rather than a reflection of it's objective worth. If the statement "marriage is sacred" is equally true as "marriage is not sacred" then neither one can be asserted as more true than the other, thus saying that "marriage is sacred" is essentially meaningless for it does not refer to anything that would actually entail that marriage is sacred (ie a reference to some objective standard).
__________________
AttnKleinkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:56 PM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Could you be any more condescending?
Condescending by quoting scripture?

<>
__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:02 PM   #35
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,332
Local Time: 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AttnKleinkind View Post
Simply because people abuse, or take for granted the meaning of something doesn't mean that there is no real meaning. Meaning, or sanctity cannot be decided or arbitrarily assigned to something; you cannot have meaning based on subjective opinions because then it is actually not meaning at all. It is simply someone's opinion of something, rather than a reflection of it's objective worth. If the statement "marriage is sacred" is equally true as "marriage is not sacred" then neither one can be asserted as more true than the other, thus saying that "marriage is sacred" is essentially meaningless for it does not refer to anything that would actually entail that marriage is sacred (ie a reference to some objective standard).

Huh?
__________________
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:23 PM   #36
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,651
Local Time: 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
...and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.
Very interesting choice in scripture. The irony is not lost on those that know this a favorite of anti-mormons.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:26 AM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,473
Local Time: 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
Condescending by quoting scripture?

<>


you do realize that the obsession with dogma is totally modern? that for centuries religion -- no matter which one -- was important because it was a practice?

honestly, who cares what the bible says from a literal standpoint? isn't salvation, or whatever you want to call it, found in the actual living out of a particular creed or belief system?

it's just silly, taking a 2,000 year old text that's been translated and the context totally consumed by history and then using it to word-by-word derive just precisely how one should feel about whatever issue?
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:52 AM   #38
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,332
Local Time: 05:16 PM
It's easier than responsible, thoughtful action.
__________________
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:12 PM   #39
The Fly
 
AttnKleinkind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 181
Local Time: 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Huh?
Sorry, my brain was fried from doing homework all day when I wrote that!

You said that marriage is sacred only if a couple decide that it is. And so I guess I'm just wondering, what real meaning does a thing have if someone just decides to give it? If you're talking about something like sanctity of marriage, it seems it either has to have objective meaning, or not. It can't be based on subjective opinion of it.
__________________
AttnKleinkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AttnKleinkind View Post
Sorry, my brain was fried from doing homework all day when I wrote that!

You said that marriage is sacred only if a couple decide that it is. And so I guess I'm just wondering, what real meaning does a thing have if someone just decides to give it? If you're talking about something like sanctity of marriage, it seems it either has to have objective meaning, or not. It can't be based on subjective opinion of it.
In some ultimate sense, I believe there is objective sacredness, but in the world we live in the concept of anything being sacred is most definitely subjective.
__________________
maycocksean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:21 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
...and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.
Do you really want to go there, Diamond? Really?
__________________

__________________
maycocksean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Proposition 8 discussion continued yolland Free Your Mind 797 03-03-2009 02:09 PM
to be gay, and a Republican, in Washington DC Irvine511 Free Your Mind Archive 1 10-13-2006 02:58 PM
interesting new angle on the gay marriage debate Irvine511 Free Your Mind Archive 239 07-28-2006 04:02 PM
Week 38 mikeuk Peeling off those Dollar Bills 50 08-23-2005 07:50 AM
History made as gay couple marries in Toronto Mrs. Edge Free Your Mind Archive 134 06-24-2003 07:50 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com