Drug Testing Welfare Recipients - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:53 PM
Receipts for everything. Then lets set up a committee to review all the receipts. And then bill te recipients for "lazy" purchases using MY money. We should have a panel of experts who decided which commodity is and isn't "lazy."

My intention, of course, is merely to help poor people, not make myself feel better about the failures of civil society by setting up a program that does little more than make me feel like people are poor because they are lazy.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Receipts for everything. Then lets set up a committee to review all the receipts. And then bill te recipients for "lazy" purchases using MY money. We should have a panel of experts who decided which commodity is and isn't "lazy."

My intention, of course, is merely to help poor people, not make myself feel better about the failures of civil society by setting up a program that does little more than make me feel like people are poor because they are lazy.
Ta-da. Bingo.

Yeah, I love how poor people are the ones getting all the blame from politicians for the situations they're in. Lord knows there couldn't possibly be any other factors out there contributing to the problem-bad business models, heads of companies getting millions in bonuses instead of letting that money actually "trickle down" to the company and the rest of the employees the way it should, sudden health problems driving people who can't afford the medical bills into debt, etc.

Nah. We're just not working hard enough. That's the problem.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:08 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:53 AM
Quite apart from everything else, and even looking in as an outsider on US politics, and setting aside the dreaded "welfare queens", surely a proportion of people on welfare are indeed temporarily down on their luck and by definition (very recent) taxpayers. It's their money too. Right?

And even the lowliest of welfare queens presumably pays some form of sales tax in the course of their rakish progress.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:33 AM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:53 AM
It's hard for me to be so bitingly sarcastic as you all are and laugh at how ludicrous an idea this is when almost every person I know on welfare (they're almost all family members) abuse the system to a horrible degree. It has left an incredibly bad taste in my mouth.

I've seen the good side on occasion, a very close person to me had temporary struggles and used the system the way it was intended, for temporary support, and once they were back on their feet no longer used it, but...it hasn't been the norm of my experience.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

I think welfare is abused all the time.

But for one political party to blow what is tenths of pennies wasted on the dollar into some sort of national crisis, while allowing defense spending and oil subsidies to continue unchecked, absolutely deserves ridicule. And we won't even get into the race baiting of the "welfare queen."
Old 01-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #21
War Child

Approximately 4.3 million people are on Welfare. Annual governmental Welfare spending (not including food stamp spending and unemployment spending) is $139.9 billion.

That averages to about $30,700 per recipient

If as little as 2% of Welfare Recipients are fraudulent, that comes out to over $2.6 billion in wasted spending.

While $2.6 billion is a drop in the bucket compared to $1.1 trillion budget deficit, it's still 2,600,000,000 dollars. Writing off these kinds of savings as chump change is exactly how we end up with no spending cuts whatsoever.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #22
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844 View Post
Approximately 4.3 million people are on Welfare. Annual governmental Welfare spending (not including food stamp spending and unemployment spending) is $139.9 billion.

That averages to about $30,700 per recipient

If as little as 2% of Welfare Recipients are fraudulent, that comes out to over $2.6 billion in wasted spending.

While $2.6 billion is a drop in the bucket compared to $1.1 trillion budget deficit, it's still 2,600,000,000 dollars. Writing off these kinds of savings as chump change is exactly how we end up with no spending cuts whatsoever.
And are you saying that drug testing is the way to find this 2%?
Old 01-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Sure. Spending $4.2 billion to prevent $2.6 billion going to people who failed drug tests (mainly on marijuana) is the way to go forward. Those extra $1.6 billion will be money right spend.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #24
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Wait, I thought it was the left that engaged in class warfare? Oh, maybe it doesn't count when you attack the poor, they don't really count. In fact some Republicans tried to pass a bill that wouldn't allow those on government assistance to vote.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #25
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I was more so responding to the general attitude in this thread that Welfare abuse is either nonexistent, or so small that it's irrelevant. Would drug testing help? I don't know; possibly. I'd have to do more research into the issue to give an educated answer. But to paint any attempt to clean up Welfare fraud as class warfare.. that's a pretty lazy argument.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Would the same people care if recipients were spending money on getting drunk?
Old 01-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #27
War Child

To me, it matters more that, when spending the money on drugs, a crime is being committed. Not so, with alcohol.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #28
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

what about the government setting up something to find where people have hidden money overseas so it wouldn't have to be taxed? i'm sure it gets looked into a little, but i'm talking full on investigations. billions and billions of dollars are sitting in banks elsewhere. where's the outcry from the right about wasted tax dollars about that? this is a comparative drop in the bucket that would bleed money.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844 View Post
To me, it matters more that, when spending the money on drugs, a crime is being committed. Not so, with alcohol.
But when we're talking about marijuana, that's so arbitrary. Are the people spending it on weed in states where it's no longer criminalized okay to do so?
Old 01-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #30
War Child

As it's not an illegal activity in those states, there would be no reason to remove their benefits.