Unknown Caller appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If people dont think this is the best song in history, they are fucking clueless./....

UNKNOWN CALLER :drool:!!!!!! FUCKKKK!!!!

U2 need to have sex with this song and produce some offspring.

lol now that i am starting to understand what the hell they saying in the chorus, its even better

The oh oh oh oh part sounds so familiar like it's from another U2 song, but I just can't put my finger on it and part of the song sounds a little like Sgt. Peppers.

I have ranked Unknown Caller as tied with Crazy Tonight as the best record on the album. I absolutely love this song.. it is going to be in my short list of top songs for sure.

There is so many sublime moments on this complex and dense song! It features some of Edge's best ever work, the whole band just gels. Many twists and turns, atmospheric and direct at the same time. I've never held U2's technical musicianship as very high, but this album, and this song really shows that they have grown musically.

i am bumping this muthafucka!!!!!

GOLD!!!!!

Gotta agree. It was a beach clip favourite and even on them shitty recordings you could hear the potential. When you hear it in all its glories, fuck it is class. I can honestly say I haven't been so hyped by a U2 song since the 90's!

I think this song has the potential of being one of the best U2 songs out there!!! Frigin amazing!!!!!! Up there with dare I say it "the Fly" WOWY, Streets evven TUF! AmAZING! U2 never stops amazing me!

It's my favourite song off the album BIG TIME. I am seriously struggling to think back to when I enjoyed a U2 song as much as this one.

Oh, a sidepoint: Moss and Roy also appreciate the song. I have it on good authority that they plan to use the choruses as part of their automated tech support hotline.

I don't know if anyone has suggested this, but I'm beginning to think Edge's interesting UC guitar tone is supposed to recall the sound of a phone dialing/ringing.

At first I was puzzled with the tone, but now I think - especially based on some backtracks that seem to add to the effect - that the guitar becomes the "Unknown Call" for surrender. Making this solo even more epic.
:drool:

Really disliked it at first, mainly due to the odd chorus. But man, this one has grown on me big time. The solo at the end is one of the most soulful solos that Edge has ever laid down on an album track.

Beautiful.

No solo since The Fly has done what UC's solo does for me.

Whenever I hear Edge guitar work like that I recall that Elevation Boston Video of The Fly. Bono's running wild, doing his thing. And there's The Edge, calmly strumming his way to the Infinite. His eyes sparkle with a worshipful reverence, and you can tell that this man believes in the transcendental power of song.

UC's solo opens up an eternal rift in the temporal.

For a moment I believe heaven will split open at this sound. And that's magic.:heart:

I was just thinking of starting a french horn appreciation thread. It sounded so bizarre hearing that there was a french horn in a couple of songs...but I'm loving it. Both of the places (Unknown Caller and White As Snow) the french horn surfaces it uplifts the song and subtly takes it somewhere profound. Who's playing it? Let's show some love for the french horn. After being invaded by the French this week, this can be the beginning of the reconciliation of nations...

Well you know in the beach clips there was no French Horn in MOS...Edge played that part on his guitar...this song is so damn fantastic it has gotten me over how upset I was at hearing NLOTH after I heard in my opinion their more brilliant "live" version of that song days before

Hey people its obvious that this album is awesome.I cant choose the best song it is so hard! I must admit that UC is awesome anyway.I would mention mos,magnificient,breath,stand up also...

The chorus was the only thing holding this song back from being one of my favorites, but I'm learning to love and accept it. I don't scrunch my nose every time it comes around like when I listened to the beach clip.

BTW, I love how Bono strains to stretch out the "I had DRIVU-UH-U-U-N!" in the last verse. It really stands out and sounds raw and real, I enjoy it a lot.

Ok guys. I listened to the album 4 times last night. This morning I took the CD with me in my car. This song is f$cking amazing. It drove me to tears. Powerfull U2 song in yeaaaarssssssss. Repeat after repeat. The solo is superb!!! I dunno know what to say. Such a song like this was missing on the last 2 albums. Finally it is there. I dunno know if it is the BEST song, but it is definitely one of my favs.

GOOOOO SHOUT IT OUTT!!

The Edge has been waiting for that solo all his life, and I'm happy I/we waited with him. I don't care about other solos, The Fly, Bullet The Blue Sky, Miracle Drug...name them all! There is heartbreak, agony, joy, depression, hope, faith, emptyness, good, bad, future, present, and past in that solo. This must be the sound you hear before transcending to heaven.

Edge, I bow to you. Many thanks for this incredible gift! I'm trying to keep about my cool about this one, because I can't even describe what goes on when I hear the last third of this song.

Amen! ...

this song just moved in front of Magnificent as my 2nd favorite song on the album, right under Fez - Being Born, of course. :wink:

I need to read through this thread, because honestly after a day, UC is my least fav. I'm trying really hard to get into it, but something's just not clicking. Not sure why. The solo by The Edge is great, though. I think it may be the "oh oh oh ohhhhh" chorus stuff. So far, this is like my "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" of Achtung - another track that I know *should* be good, but something just doesn't go all the way, and it's the only track that takes me out of the whole album.

I need your wisdom, people of the UC appreciation thread. I want to learn.

Ok guys. I listened to the album 4 times last night. This morning I took the CD with me in my car. This song is f$cking amazing. It drove me to tears. Powerfull U2 song in yeaaaarssssssss. Repeat after repeat. The solo is superb!!! I dunno know what to say. Such a song like this was missing on the last 2 albums. Finally it is there. I dunno know if it is the BEST song, but it is definitely one of my favs.

GOOOOO SHOUT IT OUTT!!

I did the same! this album is incredible.. i'm finding new layers of intensity with it each time I listen. The line, about going to the scene of the accident and "I waited for me" had me completely.

this is quite possibly one of the best, and saddest, songs U2 have ever released. i think its fantastic and the chorus is just brilliant!

Back
Top Bottom