U2 party celebrating finished album in SF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
or maybe the U2.com article was behind by 3 months as usual and Bono actually wrote that in early June, haha!

I find it funny that the one time people believe U2.com is up to date with news is the Bono quote; come on guys it was U2.com; Bono could of said that in 2003 and they would only be reporting it now

This is an update on what we sent out early this morning about a U2
album party in Half Moon Bay, California:

Bono and Edge were at the party last night, which was hosted by
Elevation Partners, and might have doubled as the company's annual
meeting (which has happened in October in past years). @U2 reader
Roman G., who also writes for the Contra Costa Times and Oakland
Tribune spoke to the restaurant owner, who said, "It was fascinating.
It was wild."

Now you know!

m2
____________ _______
@U2
http://www.atu2. com

hmm..

By the way, I'm Roman G.

I know romi! I have met you before (at vegas shows 3 yrs ago) and I wrote hmm cuz the quote in the reply wasn't enough for it to post according to the error message.

I for one have no doubts about the story...especially this particular one.

hmm....well if the party was more of a company party, then i'm not quite as excited about this. hopefully though, U2 was previewing new songs from their album, which would indicate that it's almost done.

hmm....well if the party was more of a company party, then i'm not quite as excited about this. hopefully though, U2 was previewing new songs from their album, which would indicate that it's almost done.

That's what I'm hoping. I'm also jealous I didn't know about this until today, because I could have probably figured out a way to get in, listened to the songs, and given a report.

Hi Fan4Ever:wave:

Adam was at some art auction thingy in London a few nights ago. Why would they have an album finishing party with half the band missing?

Adam was at some art auction thingy in London a few nights ago. Why would they have an album finishing party with half the band missing?

I doubt it was an album finishing party. It appears to be a corporate party for Elevation Partners.

I presume the album is being mastered as we speak. Let's see if U2 suddenly decides the album sucks overnight like they did 2 months ago.

This makes me want to laugh, but the plausibility of it makes me want to cry as well.

If it was for Elevation Partners, perhaps the new album is for video game use only...:hmm:

:wink:

Geez...c'mon the album is already done...it was done (recording,that is)back in July when they had the wrap party for it in Dublin and then as @U2 reported the band (Larry) had a problem with or thought they could improve a song or two...so they had to tweak some songs just to appease him and the next thing U2 couldn't make the deadline for a fall album rlease (which was supposed to be November 18th)..so they came up with the "we're still writing" BS.....meanwhile as I predicted they haven't been writing squat,instead they have all been doing their own thing..Lanois mixed whatever was tweaked,Lillywhite took care of what songs were aready finished back in the summer and the album is most likely being mastered out in LA by Arnie Acosta as we speak.

The info I have is from the restauant's owner, who was there. This wasn't necessarily a "album is done" party. The album listen could have been a treat for the company at a business meeting.

That's exactly what I'm thinking too..but for sure the new album is done,has been mixed and is now ready to be mastered,at some point U2 have to let go of it...even Axl Rose has let go of Chinese Democracy after 14 years:D

News : U2's Bono, The Edge make surprise appearance : Half Moon Bay Review, California

doc48f91cabb4261113993648.jpg

U2's Bono, The Edge make surprise appearance
By Mark Noack [ mark@hmbreview.com ]
Published/Last Modified on Friday, Oct 17, 2008 - 04:16:51 pm PDT

Sam’s Chowder House employees knew Thursday night they wouldn’t be serving a regular business party. Not only was the whole restaurant booked, but a large stage had to be set up in the dining room. Perhaps most striking — the event organizers demanded absolute secrecy from the restaurant employees. But employees could have never guessed who their guests for the evening were.

Thursday night around 7, a bus rolled up to the Half Moon Bay restaurant, and out stepped Bono and The Edge, the renowned frontman and lead guitarist, respectively, of the acclaimed rock band U2.

An easily recognizable international celebrity, Bono traveled with full security detail out to the Coastside to meet with his business associates at Elevation Partners, a Menlo Park investment firm specializing in the media and entertainment industry.
Bono and the Edge from U2 were at Sam's Thursday night at a private event with his business venture, Elevation Partners. Top, left to right: Leslie Martin, Bono, Denise Gernandt, Melissa Van Horbek. Above, Denise Gernandt, Leslie Martin, The Edge, Ashley Richter, Melissa Van Horbek.

As a founding partner in the firm, Bono was speaking at the restaurant before about 100 employees, investors and partners in the firm. Not directly involved in the business, The Edge reportedly was just tagging along.

A big U2 fan, restaurant manager Mollie Stickney says she was initially flabbergasted being in close contact with her heroes. But she says that shock was quickly overcome.

“U2 was probably my first concert ever, back in 1987,” Stickney said. “I was starstruck, but when I saw them I was really put at ease. They seemed like a couple of common friendly Irish blokes.”

Stickney said Bono and The Edge both spoke with a moderator before the crowd about their creative process for writing music and their upcoming album. The two musicians also played a couple of unreleased songs.

“They talked about how they work together as a team and a band, and they made a parallel to running a business and overcoming obstacles,” Stickney said. “Then they just talked about rock n’ roll.”

The two musicians casually mingled with the crowd, talking over a few glasses of wine and gin and tonics. Bono reportedly spoke for a half-hour at the patio bar with another celebrity restaurant guest — magazine publisher and two-time presidential primary candidate Steve Forbes. Elevation Partners is a minority shareholder in Forbes Media LLC.

“I was definitely trying to stand as close as I could to listen in,” said bartender and longtime-U2 fan Nate Serdy. “Maybe they were trying to save the world with their charity giving.”

Serdy said the party was an open-bar affair, so he didn’t get to see which celebrity-patron was the better tipper.

I wonder how this didn't leak prior to the event!

business party.

absolute secrecy

full security detail

Nuff said :wink:

Stickney said Bono and The Edge both spoke with a moderator before the crowd about their creative process for writing music and their upcoming album. The two musicians also played a couple of unreleased songs.

“They talked about how they work together as a team and a band, and they made a parallel to running a business and overcoming obstacles,” Stickney said. “Then they just talked about rock n’ roll.”

:eek:

Doesn't sound like an album listening party to me. Guess this notion that the album is done is a false alarm

Doesn't sound like an album listening party to me. Guess this notion that the album is done is a false alarm

It wasn't an album listening party the article says as much..but the recording of the album is DONE...they aren't "writing any songs" U2.com information is months old and they just postponed the album release date to tweak some songs...that's all...it's been mixed...it just has to be mastered.
The new U2 album WILL be out in the first 3 months of 2009

Back
Top Bottom