Tracklist announcement timing? - Tracklist Speculation/Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know its worthless to argue titles of songs we haven't heard yet, but I really don't like the title "Stand Up Comedy" one bit. Everytime I hear it I think of some corny comic on a half hour special on Comedy Central. I hope its the greatest song ever. I can remember hearing the title "Playboy Mansion" for the first time from POP and thinking "holy shit what are they thinking?" but that turned out okay I guess. I guess we'll see in a month and a half.

I actually really like the look of the tracklist, and I'd be much more inclined to believe it if it weren't for the "Mercy" bonus. It looks like a fucking strong set of songs set up that way though.

I know its worthless to argue titles of songs we haven't heard yet, but I really don't like the title "Stand Up Comedy" one bit. Everytime I hear it I think of some corny comic on a half hour special on Comedy Central. I hope its the greatest song ever. I can remember hearing the title "Playboy Mansion" for the first time from POP and thinking "holy shit what are they thinking?" but that turned out okay I guess. I guess we'll see in a month and a half.

I would have killed myself in 1993 if I had heard that U2 were making a song called Lemon.

Then I would have heard Lemon.

great point.:up:

I love Lemon....and Zooropa for that matter.

Yeah, I personally was extremely scared when I heard the title Sexy Boots, somewhat less scared when I heard GYBO, and then more scared when I heard GOYB. But now I'm just going to wait to hear the song. :wink:

My Friend from NY work in Universal, and he tell me the official order of the songs (wrote in a promo poster arrived last friday):

U2 - No Line on the Horizon
01 - Tripoli
02 - Get on Your Boots (First Single)
03 - Magnificent
04 - Moment of Surrender
05 - No Line on the Horizon
06 - Unknown Caller
07 - Stand Up Comedy
08 - Crazy Tonight
09 - Breathe
10 - Every Breaking Wave
11 - The Cedars of Lebanon
12 - Mercy (Bonus Track) UK , Australia and Japan

I Believe in this guy!!!!!

Mercy is Back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Other than Mercy, that sounds reasonable enough.

I think it actually suits the song based on the description. A silly sounding title which is really a badass groove-rocker with irony-tinged lyrics (I hope). It plays against expectations.

I think it actually suits the song based on the description. A silly sounding title which is really a badass groove-rocker with irony-tinged lyrics (I hope). It plays against expectations.

Sounds like Achtung Baby.

While it does sound reasonable, any one of us could easily have come up with the same thing. And one of us probably did...especially with the Mercy bonus (a dead giveaway).

I dunno, I think that unless it's been reworked into another song, it's not too unreasonable to think that Mercy may be the bonus track. It was held off the Bomb, but was originally in the tracklisting---so they like it. Maybe they liked it too much to bury it forever. In a sense, the bonus track is essentially like a b-side, which many people think Mercy would qualify as. I could see it.

[/Mercy discussion] :wink:

As for the rest of the tracklist, I can definitely see that given the descriptions we have so far....but that's not saying all that much.

Could they really getting away with just tagging Mercy, a song from the Bomb sessions, onto a new album? When they're going for a whole "fresh new sound' sort of thing?
I'd like them to release it though. Perhaps as a b-side to a new single?

Could they really getting away with just tagging Mercy, a song from the Bomb sessions, onto a new album? When they're going for a whole "fresh new sound' sort of thing?
I'd like them to release it though. Perhaps as a b-side to a new single?

I'm assuming they would have at least re-recorded it.

I'm assuming they would have at least re-recorded it.

... but it'll still basically be the same song, right? Or are you talking about a completely new song that happens to have the same title? :huh:

... but it'll still basically be the same song, right? Or are you talking about a completely new song that happens to have the same title? :huh:

In theory, I think they could have modified the song a decent bit while keeping the same structure and basic lyrics.

Really, though, re-recording Bono's vocals would do a lot for the song. They don't sound amazing on the original (although they kind of fit it, like Pop's vocals fit Pop), and Bono's voice has improved a lot since 2004.

My Friend from NY work in Universal, and he tell me the official order of the songs (wrote in a promo poster arrived last friday):

01 - Tripoli
03 - Magnificent
04 - Moment of Surrender
06 - Unknown Caller
07 - Stand Up Comedy
08 - Crazy Tonight
09 - Breathe
10 - Every Breaking Wave

No offense meant, but it seems coincidental that a brand new member is the first to see and report the official tracklisting. I suppose stranger things have happened...

I'm also not convinced that the album will only contain the songs we've read about. Given Q and RS mention different tracks - and the band recorded 50-odd songs in total - isn't it reasonable to assume that the album will include at least ONE track that neither magazine wrote about?

[I must admit though, I'd like to see Mercy as a bonus track.]

No offense meant, but it seems coincidental that a brand new member is the first to see and report the official tracklisting. I suppose stranger things have happened...

I'm also not convinced that the album will only contain the songs we've read about. Given Q and RS mention different tracks - and the band recorded 50-odd songs in total - isn't it reasonable to assume that the album will include at least ONE track that neither magazine wrote about?

[I must admit though, I'd like to see Mercy as a bonus track.]

Hi all, thanks for making available such great forums and all. Supporting your theory, I also find a bit odd to get 2 No Line On The Horizon tracks on the same album.
But I can be wrong. Cheers.

Hi all, thanks for making available such great forums and all. Supporting your theory, I also find a bit odd to get 2 No Line On The Horizon tracks on the same album.
But I can be wrong. Cheers.

Welcome to Interference!

I think the first one is just the title... I actually made the same mistake and did a double-take when I first saw the list, too.

There aren't 2 NLOTH's, the first line is the title of the album.

That said, there are so many rumors being posted recently that spread like wildfire, that I probably won't believe anything until I see it with my own eyes or it's posted on u2.com

Welcome to Interference!

I think the first one is just the title... I actually made the same mistake and did a double-take when I first saw the list, too.

Thanks for that, my bad. Yep, there aren't. Maybe the tracklisting is ok, then. But Mercy? A HTTDAB booted track? I thought they had lots of material from the 2007-2009 sessions. But well...again, it can be.

01 - Tripoli
03 - Magnificent
04 - Moment of Surrender
06 - Unknown Caller
07 - Stand Up Comedy
08 - Crazy Tonight
09 - Breathe
10 - Every Breaking Wave

Even though like many I am highly suspect of newbies, don't take it personal we've just had a lot misinformation from people who sign on make 5 posts and then leave, this is probably the best tracklisting I've seen.

This tracklisting makes the most sense to me(given what little we know).

I think U2 want to prove something to us, that they are making a departure so I think not putting their first single as track number one makes sense.

Given the descriptions of the songs this flow also makes sense.

And given the fact that Mercy is such a talked about track but never released, it only makes sense that it would somehow show up, as either a b-side or bonus track.

But, this is all speculation...:shrug:

Even though like many I am highly suspect of newbies, don't take it personal we've just had a lot misinformation from people who sign on make 5 posts and then leave, this is probably the best tracklisting I've seen.

This tracklisting makes the most sense to me(given what little we know).

I think U2 want to prove something to us, that they are making a departure so I think not putting their first single as track number one makes sense.

Given the descriptions of the songs this flow also makes sense.

And given the fact that Mercy is such a talked about track but never released, it only makes sense that it would somehow show up, as either a b-side or bonus track.

But, this is all speculation...:shrug:

I agree. It's the most logical one I've seen yet.

^ i think that tracklisting is too top-stacked (a-la ATYCLB) from what we've heard about quality of the songs. That said, Breathe is at 9 (wouldn't have thought "the best song they've ever recorded" would be at 9...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom