The new songs news you've been waiting for...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
imageqz.jpg

i KNEW they had to be up to something what with the reports on them checking out all these other musicals lately :huh:

Who gives a shit about the whole Spiderman Project (except Bono and Edge themselves) anyway?

i fear they could be setting themselves up for a massive fall with this and they won't have Taymor to blame this time round!

upside is i guess they worked out the score didn't cut it and want to improve it...

although, a new score basically means a new musical - new lines, new rehearsals, new choreography - it's a massive undertaking!

i don't think i've ever heard of this happening to a musical before... christ...

hope the new U2 album is ready and waiting to go!

Who gives a shit about the whole Spiderman Project (except Bono and Edge themselves) anyway?

Bono's treating the fucking Spiderman musical like it's Smile or some shit. Even Brian Wilson set that one aside for a while though.

At this point it would be really nice if the band made some kind of statement about what's going on. Even if it means sending Bono out alone to say, "Yes, we have nine albums' worth of material, and we'll be releasing them as soon as Edge tunes his guitar."

Realistically, how much do you guys think this is likely to delay a new album?
I'm kinda worried we won't see anything before 2014, if they get caught up in a massive spiderman overhaul :huh:

At least Coldplay's had a fairly consistent output rate of two/three years.

Spiderman is one of the highest-grossing shows on Broadway. It's finally working well-enough to be considered a hit. Bono and Edge really just need to leave well-enough alone. I don't want to see good song ideas get squandered on this.

Since they won't go back to POP, they're doing the next best thing.

Replace "next best" with your choice of adjective.

Spiderman is one of the highest-grossing shows on Broadway. It's finally working well-enough to be considered a hit. Bono and Edge really just need to leave well-enough alone. I don't want to see good song ideas get squandered on this.

That was my first reaction.

Isn't this thing doing pretty well? Finally, after all the tumult at the start.

And now they are going to go change things?

Actually...not surprising in the least.

They've written enough material dating back to the NLOTH sessions to fill up a box set.

They either feel confident in releasing some of it or they don't.

Nothing has changed. Fall 2013.

Can they at least put out some soundtrack or tribute album tracks? These guys used to be everywhere all the time. Now we get reworked versions of old songs ad nauseum. What happened the the band that used to crank out B-sides? Other bands have put out more non-album tracks in the same period it takes the boys to crank out an album.

At this point it would be really nice if the band made some kind of statement about what's going on. Even if it means sending Bono out alone to say, "Yes, we have nine albums' worth of material, and we'll be releasing them as soon as Edge tunes his guitar."

I don't know why, but this really made me laugh.

As for this news...um. Wow. Yeah. Hm.

I seriously think U2 -- once a rock band, but now not so much -- have lost the plot, more-or-less, since about 2005 or 2006.

This Onion article pretty much sums up how I think U2 feel about themselves nowadays: 'I Am A Brand,' Pathetic Man Says | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

I think maybe they are so trapped in their own belief in being "big" and "relevant", and are so totally stuck in the "release-big-studio-album-and-flog-it-to-death-with-massive-world-tour" cycle that they've always adhered to (the one exception being late 1989), that they simply can't conceive of doing something small-scale. In reality, if the 4 of them went into a cheap studio next week and spent 6 days bashing out the tunes they've been working on for four years, gave it to a producer to mix in two days, and released it the next week on the Internet, it would probably be their best album in 20 years. But they just can't let go of the idea of doing everything big and as corporate as possible, so instead of face the fear of another big project, they prefer to spread themselves out and waste time on superhero musicals.

In order for there to be a Oct/Nov 2013 release, the album will have to be finished and out the door by August at the latest, I'd think. The 1st single would have to come out in about September. It's December 2012 right now, and that's only 8/9 months away. I hate to be a Negative Nelly, but I am no longer confident we'll see a new U2 album in 2013. I can remember when a 2013 release was the worst case scenario for the next album. Now, I think we'll be pretty lucky if we get it then!

Back
Top Bottom