Songs of Innocence (Bonus Disc) Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheEdge25

Refugee
Ok. I've listened to the entire second disc of new stuff off the Deluxe edition. First impressions:

(please note these are just my opinions)

The two unreleased tracks
Lucifer's Hands
For those who don't already know, I won't spoil it for you. Let's just say...we've heard bits of this before :D It's my favorite of the two new songs. It's a nice, loud rocker. Really great!

The Crystal Ballroom
This is a groovy, almost electronic track. I didn't enjoy it much when I first heard it, but it has been growing on me.

Acoustic Versions

Every Breaking Wave is :drool:
Bono's voice is AMAZING. It hasn't sounded better in YEARS.

California
This song sounds perfect as an acoustic track. It's played (I imagine) a bit like how the band performed Invisible on the Tonight Show appearance. Edge's acoustic playing is top-notch and Bono's voice, again, is wonderful. His voice is shaping up to be the best part of this album, I think.

Cedarwood Road
This sounds a big like a cowboy tune...something I'd imagine Bono performing with Johnny Cash or Willie Nelson alongside him...Edge's backing vocals sound great though.

Raised By Wolves
Stripped down, I was worried about how this song would sound. I didn't think that it would be as great (the RAIIIIISeeeed by wolves part). It sounded different when I first heard it, but they band incorporates the drums and bass very well and it works out great. I still prefer the original version, however.

Song For Someone
This song is played on a piano...I remember Bono talking about this in an interview...and let me say, this one sounds really heartfelt, emotional, and beautiful. I continue to be amazed by what this band is able to pull off.

Other Bonus Tracks

Sleep Like A Baby Tonight (Alternative Perspective Mix)
This alternative version of the track has DIFFERENT lyrics that I think are beautiful! I wonder why some weren't included in the album version. It sounds very raw and gritty, almost like something off of Achtung Baby. Some of the guitar parts in this mix reminded me of Zoo Station.
and yes, Invisible is included in an extended 'hidden' track at the end of this.

The Miracle (Busker Version)
This is similar to that version of Breathe that we got with the Ordinary Love release. It is cool, fun to listen to, but I prefer the original album version. This song is a ROCKER and it needs to be played LOUD and PROUD!

The Troubles (Alternate Version)
It's got a new intro, and Bono sings it with more desperation. Lykke's vocals aren't as prominent as in the original, singing different lyrics as well. ("Somebody stop the world I know / Somebody stop the world I know / Somebody throw a line to me / Somebody tell me what to say(?)") I'm digging it so far.

There you go! Let's discuss this new stuff as you all start hearing it too!

Ok. I've listened to the entire second disc of new stuff off the Deluxe edition. First impressions:

(please note these are just my opinions)

The two unreleased tracks

Lucifer's Hands

For those who don't already know, I won't spoil it for you. Let's just say...we've heard bits of this before :D It's my favorite of the two new songs. It's a nice, loud rocker. Really great!

The Crystal Ballroom

This is a groovy, almost electronic track. I didn't enjoy it much when I first heard it, but it has been growing on me.

Acoustic Versions

Every Breaking Wave is :drool:

Bono's voice is AMAZING. It hasn't sounded better in YEARS.

California

This song sounds perfect as an acoustic track. It's played (I imagine) a bit like how the band performed Invisible on the Tonight Show appearance. Edge's acoustic playing is top-notch and Bono's voice, again, is wonderful. His voice is shaping up to be the best part of this album, I think.

Cedarwood Road

This sounds a big like a cowboy tune...something I'd imagine Bono performing with Johnny Cash or Willie Nelson alongside him...Edge's backing vocals sound great though.

Raised By Wolves

Stripped down, I was worried about how this song would sound. I didn't think that it would be as great (the RAIIIIISeeeed by wolves part). It sounded different when I first heard it, but they band incorporates the drums and bass very well and it works out great. I still prefer the original version, however.

Song For Someone

This song is played on a piano...I remember Bono talking about this in an interview...and let me say, this one sounds really heartfelt, emotional, and beautiful. I continue to be amazed by what this band is able to pull off.

Other Bonus Tracks

Sleep Like A Baby Tonight (Alternative Perspective Mix)

This alternative version of the track has DIFFERENT lyrics that I think are beautiful! I wonder why some weren't included in the album version. It sounds very raw and gritty, almost like something off of Achtung Baby. Some of the guitar parts in this mix reminded me of Zoo Station.

and yes, Invisible is included in an extended 'hidden' track at the end of this.

The Miracle (Busker Version)

This is similar to that version of Breathe that we got with the Ordinary Love release. It is cool, fun to listen to, but I prefer the original album version. This song is a ROCKER and it needs to be played LOUD and PROUD!

It's got a new intro, and Bono sings it with more desperation. Lykke's vocals aren't as prominent as in the original, singing different lyrics as well. ("Somebody stop the world I know / Somebody stop the world I know / Somebody throw a line to me / Somebody tell me what to say(?)") I'm digging it so far.

There you go! Let's discuss this new stuff as you all start hearing it too!

Re the lyrics to SLABT - this one is from the victims perspective (hence 'alternate perspective mix')

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm going to feel so stupid if I turn out to be wrong but I am 99,9% sure that it's Edge singing, not Lykke Li...

I'm going to feel so stupid if I turn out to be wrong but I am 99,9% sure that it's Edge singing, not Lykke Li...

I thought that at first, and he is definitely in there doing some falsetto, but on good headphones I think she is somewhere in the mix. It highlights how well her voice goes with the guys. That has always been one of the features of U2 for me - how well B+E's voices match.

I also think this is a very early demo version, all DM - and shows that they absolutely made the right call bringing in epworth and Tedder - still great to hear.

Sorry Lucifers Hands bores me to tears. I hope this is the end of their generic rock output for a long while.

Everything else is perfect. Especially Crystal Ballroom wow.

Sent from my ass crack

I thought that at first, and he is definitely in there doing some falsetto, but on good headphones I think she is somewhere in the mix. It highlights how well her voice goes with the guys. That has always been one of the features of U2 for me - how well B+E's voices match.

I also think this is a very early demo version, all DM - and shows that they absolutely made the right call bringing in epworth and Tedder - still great to hear.

Gonna try and give it another listen. And whilst I agree that Epworth and Tedder probably was good for the album, they're not credited on the liner notes for The Troubles - finished version is still DM.

Still, interesting stuff, although I don't see myself going back to any of the acoustic tracks much. They prove Bono's point that the songs can stand well on their own, but not much else I think.

Crystal Ballroom, however, what a track.
Am I the only one who thought of Bowie's Ashes to Ashes the first time I heard it?

Sorry Lucifers Hands bores me to tears. I hope this is the end of their generic rock output for a long while.

Everything else is perfect. Especially Crystal Ballroom wow.

Sent from my ass crack

It's the track I'm least buzzed about on the disc as well. It is slowly growing (listened 3 times now, once each on laptop speakers, car speakers, and now headphones.) I hope it keeps growing.

HeHeHe I was also going to say that too.
It does not sound like the girl Lykke. Perhaps it might be Larry or Adam :D
I like those acoustic versions. Great for a summer barbecue outdoors.

Jesus even the b sides are good, I cannot wait till songs of experience already!!!

By the way Crystal Ballroom has the grove

Umm, doesn't Danger Mouse have sole production credit on the album version?

...Crystal Ballroom, however, what a track.
Am I the only one who thought of Bowie's Ashes to Ashes the first time I heard it?

Agreed, this is pure perfection. Well almost :wink:

The first time I heard it Lemon came to mind. In parts it's very similar. Sort of like as if EBTTRT and Lemon had a lovechild that grown up. If that makes sense to anyone else...

my cds were sent out today - i'm waiting til i get them before i listen, like a good girl :D

Glad Crystal Ballroom wasn't on the album. It doesn't fit. But it's instantly one of my favorite B-Sides of all time.

I don't know why this version of SLABT is freaking me out a little, I think its knowing that his is from a victims side of things, this whole album/bonus disk is definitely a side I haven't seen the band go to since the 90's, some of it is actually really really dark

So Danger Mouse is the only producer credited to The Troubles on the album... and we have yet to see production credits for Disc 2, so I really have zero idea how you've jumped to that conclusion.

So Danger Mouse is the only producer credited to The Troubles on the album... and we have yet to see production credits for Disc 2, so I really have zero idea how you've jumped to that conclusion.

Yeah, I realised I was thinking about other songs after I posted it.

Lucifer's Hand has a good groove and is a fun listen. Is it just me, or does the "bridge" seem to go on forever with nothing really happening?

Crystal Ballroom is just cool as shit. Like Mikal said, doesn't fit on the album proper, but a great B-side that's completely unlike anything U2 has ever done.

On to the acoustic stuff . . .

Glad Crystal Ballroom wasn't on the album. It doesn't fit.

Only because they decided to go in cock rock direction. Take off Volcano and The Miracle and put on this and Invisible and all of a sudden it fits because you have more stuff that actually sounds like U2 (Iris..Ballroom..Invisible..Troubles..Sleep...Wolves) and makes for greater cohesion imo and less that sounds like..well..whatever.

So yeah I'm starting to see what happened here with this album and I'm not particularly agreeing with what they did...but glad we got them as bonus tracks, for sure!

Sent from my ass crack

Crystal Ballroom, however, what a track.

I hear that. I also thought of Reflektor by Arcade Fire.

Great performances, awesome groove.

It's ilke Party Girl's older, wiser, world-lier person.

Also think this could be a great video. They should do one that's a little story, like the Darkness would do.

I am really digging the sound on "10. The Troubles (Alternative Version)"
The violins and chorus is just heavenly-like. I am sure Edge and 3 other
people are singing the chorus. Just beautiful.
I´m just looping this song over an over.

I have already heard this CD 2 times and I am now just looping each song 2 to 3
times to hear what I might have missed. There is alot of nice background sounds
and effects on these songs. The lyrics are also diferent.
Very well put together.

What is a bit annoying is Bono (or somebody) clapping hands on the song
"09 The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone) (Busker Version) "
It has this annoying echo clapping to it. Its a double-clap with a reverb echo.
Should have sounded better with a normal clapping sound, or perhaps a soft drum sound
to acompany the acustic guitar, soft drums played with brushes. The kind you
often hear in a jazz song.
I don´t know, I am just not enjoying that part of the song just yet. Perhaps after a
few more listens I will like it. - But that clapping with echo is just :crack:

The Crystal Ballroom is also a groovy tune. I also agree.
It´s got this familiar back beat from a CLASH band song, synthesizer-organ from a Blondie band
(or perhaps Abba? :D - it sounds a little like that too).
Its the perfect retro disco-new-wave-rock song.
Very groovy, very good new-wave rock. Good vibes!
Reminds me of the late 1970s very much.

Its a damn GREAT second CD for this Son gs of Innocence!
Thank you U2. :applaud:

Personally I think they should have included both versions of SLABT in the first 11. Would have thrown the spanner in the works.

Okay, here it goes...

Lucifer's Hands
This is obviously a rework of "The Return Of The Stingray Guitar" and... "Stingray" was more interesting because, although it was clearly work in progress instrumental, those keyboard riffs were awesome in my opinion. In 2010/11 I was hoping that it would evolve into something more electronic in a future version. "Stingray" had way more energy and vitality than this song. "Lucifer's Hands" doesn't sound bad at all, but it didn't sound memorable in these first auditions. Agree with the mentions to "The Fly"/"Blow Your House Down" similarities. B-side material to me.

The Crystal Ballroom
Alongside with "This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now", this is one of the tracks where U2 tried to reach the electro-indie-rock-80's-revival territory of many today's bands. And I think they nailed it pretty well in both cases. Of the whole bonus tracks, this is, so far, the most interesting song, because it really sounds like U2 experimenting different things from the U2-isms, even if not running away from the pop-rock landscapes.
Btw, does anyone already have the 12" mix included in the vinyl release?

Invisible
I didn't like this song when it came out (it still sounds like a "Beautiful Day" revival), but I admit that it grew a little on me, specially lyrically, and specially due to the way it fits (or it would fit) thematically in the album. I'm not sure, however, that the extended parts add much to the already known version (maybe when played live, it does). The same applies to the differences in the mixing in both version. I was expecting, instead, to find here that version with alternate lyrics mentioned when the song came out.

The Troubles [Alternative Version]
I only noticed now that this version is halftone(?) above the album version.
The album version is superior to me. Don't like the mixing of the tracks, don't like some of the lyrics (which sound underworked or rushed, specially in rhytmics/rhymes). But I prefer the way it ends rather than the abrupt fade out of the album version.

Sleep Like A Baby Tonight [Alternative Perspective]
Again, album version is better. Again for the same reasons of "The Troubles". Here the lyrical issue I mentioned above is even more - the lyrics sound rushed/underworked in rhymes/metric structure. I also miss the "in yaaoouuur driiieeeams" of the album version. Plus, I like the subtle way it starts (specially with no percursion), but the mixing sounds weirder (specially in the bridge - around 3:30).

acoustic/busker versions
Didn't like any of it. I don't think any of these versions add anything to the album version. In fact the arrangements sound sloppy. Now that I listened to these versions, I wonder than maybe these songs actually didn't need to be stripped down. But once they were, I don't think it works. Neither in "Song For Someone" or "Every Breaking Wave" cases (and yes, I still think that the 360º version was far more interesting because it had potential to become a beautiful mediative song, instead of being transformed into a forced potential radio hit like "Crazy Tonight").
In fact, with the exception of a few cases in U2's career ("Stay", "Staring At The Sun", "Yahweh"), I'm not a big fan of when U2 goes acoustic, I think they're not great in that register.
I'd rather have, for instance, an acoustic studio version of the "Ordinary Song", similar to the first half of the version played on Jimmy Fallon (not the atrocious Oscars arrangement).

Back
Top Bottom