Songs of Experience Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know people like to bash North Star from Transformer... but we've never actually even heard the song, only bits of it being played in the background.

I find it baffling that the pieces of the finished song were used in a movie yet the song its self has never been released

This :up:

Seeing what they did with EBW, I would be interested in hearing NS if they ended up "finishing" it, I still don't get how it could have been used in a soundtrack and not be released either, makes no sense.

EBW was a good song already though. North Star is pretty dire. I don't think it can be rescued.

I really can't wait for this to come out. I have a feeling that we will get a few tunes better than anything on SOI.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I had a feeling they can do better than HTDAAB or NLOTH. With SOI, I'm not so sure...

This question might have been answered somewhere else, but I will ask it anyway:

Was the Joshua Tree B-Side "Beautiful Ghost/Introduction to Songs of Experience" meant to be related in some way to this upcoming album? In other words, is U2 now intentionally connecting back to that idea started back then?

This question might have been answered somewhere else, but I will ask it anyway:

Was the Joshua Tree B-Side "Beautiful Ghost/Introduction to Songs of Experience" meant to be related to this upcoming album, or was that Bono just unintentionally using a similar title/idea at that time?

Both are references to Blake.

Was the Joshua Tree B-Side "Beautiful Ghost/Introduction to Songs of Experience" meant to be related in some way to this upcoming album? In other words, is U2 now intentionally connecting back to that idea started back then?

It does seem like it takes them 25+ years to get anything done these days doesn't it

Re Beautiful Ghost - I think the music has existed since 87, and was known as Beautiful Ghost. The vocal, and the lyric from Blake were added in 2007. It's possible that the concept of songs of innocence/experience/ascent started around then, and has permeated and evolved into the current concept.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Right now, U2 want strong songs, that they can perform live. Everything about the last 6 months seems to indicate that this is their mindset right now. Think..
- the re-recording of SOI songs for disc 2
- the approach they've taken in the live performances so far
- the supposed approach for the upcoming tour

so, assuming that Danger Mouse is out - does anyone else think that Declan Gaffney should be the lead producer in terms of getting this album finished? Based on his credits for SOI (has his prints over nearly everything) he seems best suited to helping them turn ideas into reality.

I think they need someone who can help hammer out their ideas and turn in an actual performance.. less brainstorming/exploring ideas/looking for "god", and more "what is Adam going to play to bring us from pre-chorus to the chorus," "how is Bono going to sing that part live?" or "how are we going to play this with only one guitar?"

I love that 2/3 of SOI sounds like the band playing live together again.. hopefully we get more of this for SOE.

I'll believe it when I see it

I really dig SOI for what is. A positive fresh airy take on looking back at innocence and those days or yore. It's a really pretty album that I can take at face value.

But I would love to hear a darker heavy affair that is a contrast to that, with Songs of Experience. Tunes that are foreboding and akin to Dirty Day, Miami, Acrobat, Love is Blindness, Love & Peace Or Else, etc.

I would be absolutely shocked if Songs of Experience came out in 2016, let alone 2015. Do they have it in them to pull a Zooropa and put in the time and effort mid-tour? At 55 with numerous children, I doubt it. Maybe they're working on it now, and plan to finish it post-tour with their "experience" from the tour.

At least Bono is nice and honest with his "although I know I’ve said that before" comment.

Still waiting on an official release of the 2004-version of Mercy. PLEASE, at least as a b-side!!!

Well, Edge said yesterday during an interview that SOE could take approx 18 months or so..... they want to make it right, right now concentrating on the tour coming up.

Why the fuck do they call it Innocence and Experience Tour then????:doh:
That means Sept 2016 for the best..... the tour will be over, even the supposed stadium tour in summer 2016. :hmm:

Didnt they say 18 months when SOI came out,i think it was Bono that said it when he was talking about the new apple project.

I can sense a "here we go again" attitude?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom