Songs of Experience Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to thank Elvis, Sicy, Jick, DB9, Fake Edge, Mrs. Garrison, Zoney!, Ouizy, U2Kitten, the night manager at FYE in northeastern Ohio, retractable roofed stadiums, anonymous sources, the guy who answers the phone at your church, the Seattle Mariners' one big bat, that chick who asked if Bono was okay, the color blue, the staff at Kuntsmuseum, Roger Goodell, fake Fisher, faker Fisher, Hewson's pick em thread, and Martha. Finally a very special thanks to all those who helped to protect this house. We heard you coming. Click clack.

-B

I'm just happy I was mentioned. :hyper:

If they do manage to release another album in short order, expect to pay for it. I think Songs of Innocence was their foot in their door for a new audience, and if they've hooked anyone with a free album, it only make sense to do something more traditional next time 'round.

Although, I'd argue there's a narrow window between giving people time between listening and absorbing Innocence and losing their attention for the next one.

After getting a free album, I wouldn't mind paying for another one - I think that is their intention.

So it might be interesting to see what songs / titles may appear in this album. I suppose anything they've worked on over the last 10 years is a chance.

All My Life
Mercy
North Star
Stingray Guitar
The Light (though this could easily have turned into song for someone or iris)
The Sacred Heart of Malibu (could have become California)
Mother of Pearl
Mount Zion
I'll Believe Her when She Sings
Last Night She Talked to Angels
Pilgrims Lack of Progress (PLOP)

Have I missed any?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

"Last Night She Talked to Angels" was done in soundcheck a couple tours back. I doubt it is part of anything new they are working on. However, I do not know and I am not claiming to, other than the soundcheck part. Just to be clear. :)

I think the full version of North Star is a pretty good bet if this happens. Maybe Invisible will be on it (although I hope not). I like the song but I would rather have brand new songs that have not been released previously in any way.

Songs of Experience will be a concept album about what it's like to be a member of interference during the recording of a U2 album.

:lol:

i managed to get ahold of the tracklist you guys

1. Beach Clip
2. Vague Tweet From Someone Only U2 Fans Would Know Is Close To U2
3. Producer 75
4. Mercy (Just Kidding, It's The Beach Clip of "All My Life")
5. The Edge is on Fire
6. Bono Says The Album Is Coming Out Tomorrow, And We All Know That's BS, Except Then Songs of Innocence Happened So NOW WHAT?
7. Useless Poll (Is This The Worst U2 Song That Starts With U?)
8. Apple Commercial Song
9. If Radiohead Had Written This Song You'd Love It
10. Stop (The Poverty) [Lil Wayne Remix]
11. The Sun, The Moon, The Stars (feat. The Slow Loris)

"Last Night She Talked to Angels" was done in soundcheck a couple tours back. I doubt it is part of anything new they are working on. However, I do not know and I am not claiming to, other than the soundcheck part. Just to be clear. :)

I think the full version of North Star is a pretty good bet if this happens. Maybe Invisible will be on it (although I hope not). I like the song but I would rather have brand new songs that have not been released previously in any way.

I would also wonder if Pilgrims Lack of Progress became Miracle. I know we really just have the "pilgrim" line as a reference, but:
a) what are the odds he'd use that term in multiple songs? and
b) it fits the theme of them trying to follow in the Ramones mould but struggling.

I'd like to thank Elvis, Sicy, Jick, DB9, Fake Edge, Mrs. Garrison, Zoney!, Ouizy, U2Kitten, the night manager at FYE in northeastern Ohio, retractable roofed stadiums, anonymous sources, the guy who answers the phone at your church, the Seattle Mariners' one big bat, that chick who asked if Bono was okay, the color blue, the staff at Kuntsmuseum, Roger Goodell, fake Fisher, faker Fisher, Hewson's pick em thread, and Martha. Finally a very special thanks to all those who helped to protect this house. We heard you coming. Click clack.

-B

Totally fake. You know they're inspired by my gifs, so I'll get a mention.

I had totally forgotten this until now, but I just recalled how tickled I was that my initials were in the 'thank yous' for Rattle and Hum. Although if I recall correctly, it said something like "... phone sex ALK" uh ... you're welcome?

iTunes Store - Joshua Tree Remastered Deluxe edition has Beautiful Ghost / Introduction to Songs of Experience

Was Beautiful Ghost always titled like that?

??

Any clues what this could be... ?

Seeing as Songs of Innocence/Songs of Experience seem to be titled after William Blake's work Songs of Innocence and Experience, I can only assume (as I did when the JT remaster came out) that Bono's been a fan of Blake since the 80s and "Songs of Experience" was a working title for The Joshua Tree before the lyrical content shifted their direction to "The Two Americas" and then, eventually, "The Joshua Tree."

Edited to add: Just realized that the 'lyrics' to Beautiful Ghost are actually from a Blake poem. Didn't realize that til now. So this connection goes back a long way.

-B

:heart:

iTunes Store - Joshua Tree Remastered Deluxe edition has Beautiful Ghost / Introduction to Songs of Experience

Was Beautiful Ghost always titled like that?

??

Any clues what this could be... ?

Yes, that was always Beautiful Ghost's full title.

:lol:

i managed to get ahold of the tracklist you guys

1. Beach Clip
2. Vague Tweet From Someone Only U2 Fans Would Know Is Close To U2
3. Producer 75
4. Mercy (Just Kidding, It's The Beach Clip of "All My Life")
5. The Edge is on Fire
6. Bono Says The Album Is Coming Out Tomorrow, And We All Know That's BS, Except Then Songs of Innocence Happened So NOW WHAT?
7. Useless Poll (Is This The Worst U2 Song That Starts With U?)
8. Apple Commercial Song
9. If Radiohead Had Written This Song You'd Love It
10. Stop (The Poverty) [Lil Wayne Remix]
11. The Sun, The Moon, The Stars (feat. The Slow Loris)

LMAO

Bonus tracks:

12. If They Play A Sort Of Homecoming Live (I Will Die Happy)
13. Angry Larry Never Smiles
14. Chimney Guitar
15. They Sound (Just Like Coldplay)

Songs of Experience

So Bono announced on the same day SOI was released that there will be another album coming soon.

To me it sounds like SOI is not the complete album and they have something bigger up their sleeve. U2 are always talking about being relevant and wanting to be in the charts. 'The Miracle' is probably the only song on SOI with any charting potential but Its not going to be a 'hit'

Maybe this whole apple thing was to get everyone talking about U2 and now they will come out with SOE which has some 'hits'?

I highly doubt they will release some kind of trilogy in this situation where they had hard time to complete even one record. Bono was also thinking the relevance of U2 in modern music scene. If I remember the working title was at some point "ten reasons to exist"?

These are the best songs they feel they have at a moment. It's the lyrics which makes it "concept album".

Songs of Experience will follow only if they feel SOI is success and have inspiration to finish outtakes in time.

Trilogy is just U2 fan's wet dream not going to happen.

So Bono announced on the same day SOI was released that there will be another album coming soon.

To me it sounds like SOI is not the complete album and they have something bigger up their sleeve. U2 are always talking about being relevant and wanting to be in the charts. 'The Miracle' is probably the only song on SOI with any charting potential but Its not going to be a 'hit'

Maybe this whole apple thing was to get everyone talking about U2 and now they will come out with SOE which has some 'hits'?

don't know but this album seems to have a lot of mainstream potential - EBW, California, Song for Someone, etc.

I would like SOE to continue the path of the latter half of SOI. That would be incredible.

I highly doubt they will release some kind of trilogy in this situation where they had hard time to complete even one record. Bono was also thinking the relevance of U2 in modern music scene. If I remember the working title was at some point "ten reasons to exist"?

These are the best songs they feel they have at a moment. It's the lyrics which makes it "concept album".

Songs of Experience will follow only if they feel SOI is success and have inspiration to finish outtakes in time.

Trilogy is just U2 fan's wet dream not going to happen.

First of all 10 reasons was bullshit. Secondly, from all accounts SOE is done.

I have to agree with BVS here.

By its very definition, they would have had to have roughly 20 - 24 songs finished or nearly there in order that they could choose which ones go on SOI and SOE. You don't really do SOI in isolation, doesn't really work like that as a concept. That's not to say that SOE doesn't need some polishing and final mixing, etc.

First of all 10 reasons was bullshit. Secondly, from all accounts SOE is done.

And how many times Bono has been bullshitting or been far too optimistic about future release dates?

Only fact is that this album was delayed nearly two years when they were trying to get it right. Or even more when you consider that Songs of Ascent supposed to be the next album after NLOTH.

And how many times Bono has been bullshitting or been far too optimistic about future release dates?

Only fact is that this album was delayed nearly two years when they were trying to get it right. Or even more when you consider that Songs of Ascent supposed to be the next album after NLOTH.

I understand your skepticism, but 3 members have said so, Bono put it in writing, manager has said so, and those that have been in the studio have said so. So things are slightly different this time around.

Bono would not have mentioned SOE in the letter if the other band members weren't comfortable with it...especially Larry! there would be no point in mentioning it if it wasn't pretty much done and ready to go relatively soon. I am thinking next year before the tour is a plausible scenario for a release date.

Bono would not have mentioned SOE in the letter if the other band members weren't comfortable with it...especially Larry! there would be no point in mentioning it if it wasn't pretty much done and ready to go relatively soon. I am thinking next year before the tour is a plausible scenario for a release date.

And even Bono used the words "I know I have said that before"

I understand your skepticism, but 3 members have said so, Bono put it in writing, manager has said so, and those that have been in the studio have said so. So things are slightly different this time around.

I'm not saying they don't have more songs ready or at least nearly finished. It's if, when or how they will release them. A lot of depends of success of SOI.

For example they could be more innovative with this new Apple deal and release new songs one by one via iTunes when they are already touring.

"...And this one you have not heard before. btw, It's also available in Itunes after this concert."

This way even not so top notch material from the sessions get's again audience, makes Apple happy, keeps the tour in topics and very interesting also for the fans.

But this trilogy of "Songs of albums" won't happen, I'm almost 100% sure. They don't have enough good material for that.

Like to be wrong of course. :)

Remember SOA was not released because the reaction to NLOTH was not what they expected and was unfavorable. I believe the reaction to SOI was exactly what they expected. More importantly, they are relevant again. How many albums were in the iTunes top 100? JT was even at number 10 for a few days. If that doesn't encourage them to release another album soon, then I don't know what will.

More importantly, they are relevant again. How many albums were in the iTunes top 100? JT was even at number 10 for a few days. If that doesn't encourage them to release another album soon, then I don't know what will.

This "Apple stunt" was nice move in marketing wise and put them in the headlines with new iPhone, You have to also remember there are discounts for these old albums. But how long this marketing stunt will hold? Only couple of weeks most I'm afraid.

All the Kate Bush albums were suddenly in the UK charts after the concerts so this is nothing new.

We all know how slow the guys are working in the studio. In October we have 15 songs from these sessions (SOI + extra tracks + Ordinary Love and Invisible).

It's very hard to believe there are still 20 songs or more waiting to be released as some kind of trilogy. Considering all the delays of the first one and help calls for the new producers.

Yes no marketing stunt can last forever. I just mean there'll be no disappointing sales numbers to stop them from going full speed ahead this time.

And I don't believe the trilogy talks. So no, I don't think they have another 20 tracks waiting to be released. But they've been in the studio for five years. I don't find it hard to believe that they have another 10 or so tracks somewhere in the works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom