Songs Of Experience 9 (albums aborted and counting...)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back then yes...but nowadays it's no longer a metric to gauge the success of an album. Perhaps the number of Youtube Views, Twitter & Facebook followers and Concert Ticket sales...?

Correct. One might say Youtube views, First week or first month streams, single downloads, etc...

We are so far off of there being a metric that spells the success of an album. Songs maybe, but not albums.

ok, as long as we are waiting with our thumbs up our asses for the next move from the band, what do you guys think about Andy Barlow being a part of the production team?
I love the idea, and it makes my head spin to think if they could do a couple of LAMB type songs. I could see a sparse, delicate piano number, moving into something with heavily distorted vocals, replacing some of the more electronic elements with unique guitar sounds and real drums. It could be very interesting. Maybe another duet opportunity, who knows.

Kinda strange that the other producer being mentioned is Jolyon Thomas, who brings an almost opposite sound to the mix. Yet, I'm equally excited about that side of things. (aggressive)

I'm hoping this is the madness (diverse mix) of things bono talked about. Then the question of cohesiveness comes into play. Would love to see them pull it off successfully.

ok, as long as we are waiting with our thumbs up our asses for the next move from the band, what do you guys think about Andy Barlow being a part of the production team?
I love the idea, and it makes my head spin to think if they could do a couple of LAMB type songs. I could see a sparse, delicate piano number, moving into something with heavily distorted vocals, replacing some of the more electronic elements with unique guitar sounds and real drums. It could be very interesting. Maybe another duet opportunity, who knows.

Kinda strange that the other producer being mentioned is Jolyon Thomas, who brings an almost opposite sound to the mix. Yet, I'm equally excited about that side of things. (aggressive)

I'm really excited by the production team. Between Barlow and Thomas, I think we're getting a new Eno/Lanois. Barlow who's work brings to mind atmospheric, key/synth heavy works, but fully capable of providing propulsive, bombastic stuff. The "head"

Jolyon Thomas is our new Lanois. Read about his production style and he'll tell you he's about captuing energy off the floor, live takes, with few overdubs. He's about feel. The "heart." I dont think it means aggressive necessarily though.. consider this Gavin Friday track

Last edited:
I'm really excited by the production team. Between Barlow and Thomas, I think we're getting a new Eno/Lanois. Barlow who's work brings to mind atmospheric, key/synth heavy works, but fully capable of providing propulsive, bombastic stuff. The head

Jolyon Thomas is our new Lanois. Read about his production style and he'll tell you he's about captuing energy off the floor, live takes, with few overdubs. He's about feel. The heart. I dont think it means aggressive necessarily though.. consider this Gavin Friday track

I didn't know he had this side. I know Thomas as being the main producer and co-writer for Slaves. Which is more aggressive. Listening to some Slaves and certain guitar parts have the same sort of effect from the clip that Adam posted on Instagram/FB. Its exciting to me. If nothing else, I am really happy that they chose these two guys. They could go with the biggest names around, but this shows they are interested in some more off the beaten path stuff and are hopefully still interested in expanding their game.

I'm really excited by the production team. Between Barlow and Thomas, I think we're getting a new Eno/Lanois. Barlow who's work brings to mind atmospheric, key/synth heavy works, but fully capable of providing propulsive, bombastic stuff. The head

Jolyon Thomas is our new Lanois. Read about his production style and he'll tell you he's about captuing energy off the floor, live takes, with few overdubs. He's about feel. The heart. I dont think it means aggressive necessarily though.. consider this Gavin Friday track

I didn't know he had this side. I know Thomas as being the main producer and co-writer for Slaves. Which is more aggressive. Listening to some Slaves and certain guitar parts have the same sort of effect from the clip that Adam posted on Instagram/FB. Its exciting to me. If nothing else, I am really happy that they chose these two guys. They could go with the biggest names around, but this shows they are interested in some more off the beaten path stuff and are hopefully still interested in expanding their game.

Slaves stuff is aggressive for sure. My guess is we get a song or two of real raw rock stuff, but not more than that.

Check out British Sea power Machineries of Joy too. He mixed that album and served as engineer. I believe the band produced it themselves, which probably means Thomas/the engineering team did all the work :wink:. But it's another record of his where the band isn't lost in the production.

Last edited:
Slaves stuff is aggressive for sure. My guess is we get a song or two of real raw rock stuff, but not more than that.

Check out British Sea power Machineries of Joy too. He mixed that album and served as engineer. I believe the band produced it themselves, which probably means Thomas/the engineering team did all the work :wink:. But it's another record of his where the band isn't lost in the production.

very nice! I have liked these guys through the years. Fun imagining U2 getting hints of these sounds infused with theirs.
And hey, maybe they will do a video of Bono riding his bike around. :wink:

So, are we thinking this will be announced or just released? Jimmy Eat World just semi-followed the Radiohead model in that they announced, then dropped the song the next day. Radiohead went two more steps, but this trend of short lead times might be something they go for. Maybe just a website refresh with 'soon' written at the top, and an auto-play YouTube clip of a riff from the song like they did with invisible?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

14m85yg.jpg

I always search U2 because of the news and I found this below.
SONGS OF EXPERIENCE HASNT BEEN RELEASED YET!!!!!
Why did Google do this?

Jolyon Thomas is our new Lanois. Read about his production style and he'll tell you he's about captuing energy off the floor, live takes, with few overdubs. He's about feel. The "heart." I dont think it means aggressive necessarily though.. consider this Gavin Friday track

This excites me the most. I feel like every SoI took off so much when played live, all the songs had so much weight, power and emotion behind them, from the heavy tom drums added to the Miracle, to Edge's harmonics and Bono's vocal in the chorus of Iris, to the raw grit of Cedarwood Road. The quality of the songs, the arrangements, all the positive attributes just came out so clearly live.

It was this that made me think how amazing (if unlikely) it would be if, after their usual writing/rewriting/re-recording cycle, the band just took their final songs, and recorded them as simply as they could to replicate a 'live' sound.

Someone like Thomas, who ams to bring out that grit and spontaneity, is exactly what this band needs.

It's also promising that they've only spent about a year properly recording this record (as opposed to 2 or 3), and don't seem to have gone through the 'cold feet/hire commercial producers' phase that occurred with the last couple of albums :up:

Aren't songs typically released on tuesdays ? Maybe just albums on tuesdays?

Could it happen tomorrow?:love:

Not anymore, that was based on a physical release retailer issue. Nothing is based on the physical release anymore, or it would be leaked.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom