Songs of Experience 37 - now with bonus orchestra - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2017, 11:23 AM   #106
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Lmao there's hardly anything on SOE that's as thrilling, engaging and memorable as the sonic hellscape that is DGPFYCC, let alone that limp noodle of a Beautiful Day cover that they passed off as single material.

Yes there is.

mikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:38 AM   #107
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:33 PM
Quote:
Lmao there's hardly anything on SOE that's as thrilling, engaging and memorable as the sonic hellscape that is DGPFYCC, let alone that limp noodle of a Beautiful Day cover that they passed off as single material.

Come on.....are you one of those around here who are going to tell me that the chorus to American Soul (you and I are Rock and Roll) is bad and then come back and say the chorus to Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car is good.

CosmoKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:49 AM   #108
The Male

Local Time: 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post
Come on.....are you one of those around here who are going to tell me that the chorus to American Soul (you and I are Rock and Roll) is bad and then come back and say the chorus to Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car is good.
Um, yes?

There's more creativity and ingenuity in Edge's grinding, industrial guitar work than anything he's contributed this decade. The lyrics, instead of beating you over the head with platitudes, have poetic nuance and can be read in more than one way. Instead of immediately knowing what the song is about based on the title, you have to use its imagery and tone to break it down. That's good songwriting.

Zooropa is shooting up so many lists these days not because of nostalgia but because it has something to offer on repeat listens.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:52 AM   #109
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:19 PM   #110
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
The lyrics, instead of beating you over the head with platitudes, have poetic nuance and can be read in more than one way. Instead of immediately knowing what the song is about based on the title, you have to use its imagery and tone to break it down. That's good songwriting.
Just because it can be read in so many ways doesn’t make it good song writing, it’s if it connects to the listener. By that logic, Imagine by Lennon isn’t good song writing. I’ll agree to disagree.

Quote:
Zooropa is shooting up so many lists these days not because of nostalgia but because it has something to offer on repeat listens.

What lists is Zooropa climbing up?

All I hear from the SOE detractors is that the song titles are too long, “where is Edge and his signature sound”, the songs are boring and the lyrics are poor. All 4 of those can easily be applied to Zooropa(The First Time might be right there with Peace on Earth as the most boring U2 song).
CosmoKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:54 PM   #111
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I was referring to the people like Cobbler who are calling it possibly U2's worst song ever.

First, what? Second, no. Third, worse than Stand Up Comedy or Boots or American Soul, really now? Fourth, what?
If we're talking official album tracks only, it's very close to the bottom for me. It's basically Get Out, SUC, and Crazy Tonight in some order.

Boots at least has some energy and creativity in it, even if it's Frankensteined together.

I'd say it's on par with SUC in terms of embarrassing lyrical content. It may be catchier but it also recycles too much of 2000-era U2. There is nothing from the 80s or 90s that sinks that low, IMO. Those eras' lesser tracks either explore new sounds or have the raw passion of the early days. Like I'm sure Get Out is more sophisticated and interesting than some of October's blander tracks but I'd still rather listen to the latter.

As for something like Miami, it's long been a whipping boy but as an impressionist portrait of a place and mood it's certainly evocative. And the band actually sounds like it gives a shit. It sounds new, vital, exciting. I don't think Bono screaming "My mammy" at the end (which I personally find to be fun) invalidates what it has to offer.

Quote:
Quote:
There's more creativity and ingenuity in Edge's grinding, industrial guitar work than anything he's contributed this decade. The lyrics, instead of beating you over the head with platitudes, have poetic nuance and can be read in more than one way. Instead of immediately knowing what the song is about based on the title, you have to use its imagery and tone to break it down. That's good
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:16 PM   #112
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
If we're talking official album tracks only, it's very close to the bottom for me. It's basically Get Out, SUC, and Crazy Tonight in some order.

Boots at least has some energy and creativity in it, even if it's Frankensteined together.
There's some energy in a power dump, too.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:31 PM   #113
Blue Crack Supplier

It at least has the Let Me In The Sound section, which I thought even the detractors appreciated.

Those other songs really have nothing on that level to even slightly excuse them.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:11 PM   #114
Acrobat

I guess my thing is, why does it HAVE to be like anything before it? Both these albums were born from such different places. Zooropa was a band at the pinnacle, perhaps, of their success and cultural relevance, going off script--again--to pay homage to the art behind their craft. It's a masterpiece, I love it, but it's not free of it's missteps. "Some Days" is interesting production-wise but a total snoozer. DGPFYCC is similar, but I actually dont notice the lyrics on that one as much.

SoE on the other hand is a band searching for relevance slowed facing the spectre of their own physical and professional mortality. It is like Zooropa in having turns of beauty and complexity, but I can see more second guessing on this one or "pandering" to the masses than on Zooropa. Not to take anything away, though- I really, really like this album. It continues to grow on me more than any album they've done since Pop. I hear them pushing again, and I wish and hope they turn to the same freewheeling artistic place that gave us Zooropa.

They're a different band now, and the court of public opinion wont allow them to do some of what they did back then. But I like the lyrical weight on this, and while I crave more Edge and ambience, this is damn good. I'd be interested in seeing them work with Barlow more, and hope they take some of the criticism of American Soul, the singles, and some of the "trying too hard" bits on board, because this proves to me they could still have some of that old magic again.
HansaTonImbiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:46 PM   #115
War Child

I actually think they may not play Get Out of Your Own Way. I think it will depend on how it does on the charts over the next month. If by then it's doing well, they may perform it. If not, I would think they will move on to the next single, which Bono seemed to indicate will be Love is Bigger. It would be a great platform to launch the song on.
U2freakboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:02 PM   #116
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
It at least has the Let Me In The Sound section, which I thought even the detractors appreciated.

Those other songs really have nothing on that level to even slightly excuse them.
I'd rather listen to Get Out on repeat 48 hours straight than ever hear Boots again
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:26 PM   #117
War Child

I think AB/Zooropa/PoP is the band's perfect trilogy and is absolutely unreachable. It's perfection.

But that said SOE is fucking great and the best thing since ATYCLB and maybe better.
Achtung Ya'll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:22 PM   #118
Acrobat

Zooropa sucks
Sr. Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:16 PM   #119
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:33 PM
Zooropa was the second U2 album I ever bought, after ATYCLB. That was quite a shock.
Rachel D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:59 PM   #120
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
I'd rather listen to Get Out on repeat 48 hours straight than ever hear Boots again
True, but I love listening to the let me in the sound part of boots.

TheGeekyU2Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bongs of experience, soe, songs of experience