So, have we matched the NLOTH song titles to the beach clips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flyboy

Babyface
Or am I late with this : clip 1 : Every breaking wave? or Moment of Surrender?
clip 2 : Breathe
clip 3 : Get on your boots
clip 4 : Magnificent

Clip 1: Every Breaking Wave
Clip 2: Breathe
Clip 3: Get YOUR Boots ON
Clip 4: Magnificent

Just my guess.

I think we're all 100% on #2-4. I don't know what #5 could be.

#1 I'm pretty sure is Unknown Caller. It's got a major Edge solo, which Dallas Schoo described would be in the song. I'm nearly positive at 1:43 "Reboot yourself, you're free to go." At the VERY least I DEFINITELY hear "You're free to go", which is a lyric to Unknown Caller. It makes perfect sense to me.

I'm not sure about the lyrics in clip #1. I can barely understand a word he sings. I'm not sure I would describe it as "stately" either.

I'm not sure about the lyrics in clip #1. I can barely understand a word he sings. I'm not sure I would describe it as "stately" either.

I know I hear "you're free to go" at 1:45. I reserve the right to be wrong though. Tough to really define stately on a beach clip too :wink:. Isn't Every Breaking Wave supposed to have Bono wailing something out? Of course, songs and things change between August and December too, but I'd bet a good 100 dollars + some liquor on #1 being Unknown Caller :wink:

Yes, popacrobat I think you are right. Clip 1 is "Unknown Caller" ! I hear "Reboot yourself" and, " You're free to go" starting at 1:43 into the first clip. Thanks.:applaud:

I know I hear "you're free to go" at 1:45. I reserve the right to be wrong though. Tough to really define stately on a beach clip too :wink:. Isn't Every Breaking Wave supposed to have Bono wailing something out? Of course, songs and things change between August and December too, but I'd bet a good 100 dollars + some liquor on #1 being Unknown Caller :wink:

I'm hoping you're right, because I love clip #1. It's my favorite now. That solo is his best since Achtung Baby.

i hope clip 1 isnt the song with edges "guitar solo of his life, you wont find better on any other song", which is bullshit if it is. edge has done better guitar solos than that, at least from a technical perspective.

I'm hoping you're right, because I love clip #1. It's my favorite now. That solo is his best since Achtung Baby.

I agree with this. I think on both counts. I really do like Breathe and Magnificent a good bit, ditto Get Your Boots On, from what we've heard from it. But I'm betting Breathe will have been reworked some, since there's no cello audible from the clip we've got- but of course, it's just a beach clip. I do like that song a lot, but #1/Unknown Caller has serious potential to be an awesome, awesome song. In my opinion.

but #1/Unknown Caller has serious potential to be an awesome, awesome song. In my opinion.

Its going to be mindblowing. And the Solo mightnt be technically amazing or whatever but it's definitely the most emotional bit of guitar work I've heard from Edge - and it's the feeling that counts for me. Theres something about how it closes out the song, just doing its own thing... Melancholy yet uplifting all at once...

:heart::heart::heart:

i hope clip 1 isnt the song with edges "guitar solo of his life, you wont find better on any other song", which is bullshit if it is. edge has done better guitar solos than that, at least from a technical perspective.

True, but not since the '90s. Nothing he's done since comes close.

For people like me who are really into The Velvet Underground, Neil Young, Wilco and, of course, U2, you learn that there's a whole hell of a lot more to a guitar solo than the quantity of notes being played. Texture, context, and passion take a solid solo and fire it into the stratosphere. Just take David Gilmour's solo on "Comfortably Numb" or Mick Ronson on "Moonage Daydream" for example. Both are placed in the context of slowish, lumbering tracks that are themselves filled with tension, and when the solos come in, they provide a necessary release for that tension and simply sound amazing thanks to the great tone those two guitarists always knew how to get. On clip #1, Edge does something very similar. It's just very natural and, as is his way, Edge doesn't use his time in the spotlight to do anything other than enhance the song. It's fantastic.

I remember for awhile many were certain BC #1 was NLOTH....and we were saying how if it isn't then that would be incredible because the title track is surely going to be a great song...looks like that's what we have now :)

To be honest the beach clips were out in what? August? There's been 4 months of recording since then, everything in those clips were certainly works in progress and more than likely the songs will have moved on. The solo in that version, which for an Edge solo, is a major solo, given that it lasts over a minute, could have been a placeholder. You aren't going to get Edge shredding or playing technically complex stuff, he's came close once or twice live but he's said before he finds it boring.

My take, probably like anyone elses.

1. Unknown Caller
2. Breathe
3. Get Your Boots On
4. Magnificent

And a guess at no5, Crazy Tonight. :wink:

Plus, on that Edge solo, it's magnificent in my opinion, quite long too. :)

Clip 3: Get YOUR Boots ON

Sorry to be ignorant, there have been SO many threads it's hard to keep up. But where did it officially get changed to Get YOUR Boots ON.

Edge was quoted saying Get ON YOUR Boots 2 months ago. And Q has also used Get ON YOUR Boots in yesterday's publication.

I've seen speculation both ways, but I've not seen proof of the song being renamed Get YOUR Boots ON. Why are some people so confident? What did I miss?

[PS I hope you're right because GOYB is even worse than Sexy Boots. I'm just looking (praying) for some real proof that Q got it wrong]

I've avoided all the beach clips so I don't ruin the surprise. But can anyone tell me:

1. How did the WITS 2006 beach clip compare with the final release
2. Are any of the 2008 beach clips the same songs as (or obviously originating from) the 2006 beach clips

Just wondering how/if things progressed during this time.

1. The WITS beach clip was just Bono on the piano, as far as I remember.
But it did hold true to the melody and the falsetto chorus.

2. No

and "Get Your Boots On" was printed in Q magazine.

and the first 4 clip titles are all but certain
#1-Unknown Caller 100%
#2-Breathe
#3-Get Your Boots On 100%
#4-Magnificent

To be honest the beach clips were out in what? August? There's been 4 months of recording since then, everything in those clips were certainly works in progress and more than likely the songs will have moved on. The solo in that version, which for an Edge solo, is a major solo, given that it lasts over a minute, could have been a placeholder. You aren't going to get Edge shredding or playing technically complex stuff, he's came close once or twice live but he's said before he finds it boring.

To be honest, i hope the clips have changed since then. dont hipe the new album with bullshit like "edges best guitar solo of his life" when that, based off the beach clips, isnt true. i hope edge shreds like he did on the lovetown on so you wanna be a rock and roll star snippet. he did on the beach clip 2 around 3:00. it's not boring, you're a guitarist, youre sup'osed to push the fuckin boundaries every album. IDK, i guess im too pumped up for the next album :hyper: :shrug:

people, its new years for fucks sake. get your asses out of this thread and off this board and go get drunk and laid.

matter of fact, i have to go...

I think we can pretty definitely say:

Clip 1 = Unknown caller - Lyrics "Reboot yourself, you're free to go" can be clearly heard, plus it has this AMAZING Edge guitar outro :drool:
Clip 2 = Breathe - Step out into the street etc. - Ranting verses and a joyful chorus, way out of the dark into the light (according to Q)
Clip 3 = Formerly known as "Sexy Boots", now "Get your Boots on", probably the first single, pop/techno/hiphop, very fast tune
Clip 4 = Magnificent - "Only love can rest your mind" - This is the most beautiful beach clip, very atmospheric, classic U2
Don't know what Clip 5 is.

Clip 1 = Unknown caller - Lyrics "Reboot yourself, you're free to go" can be clearly heard, plus it has this AMAZING Edge guitar outro :drool:
Clip 2 = Breathe - Step out into the street etc. - Ranting verses and a joyful chorus, way out of the dark into the light (according to Q)
Clip 3 = Formerly known as "Sexy Boots", now "Get your Boots on", probably the first single, pop/techno/hiphop, very fast tune
Clip 4 = Magnificent - "Only love can rest your mind" - This is the most beautiful beach clip, very atmospheric, classic U2

Agree totally!

I agree!

Clip 5 is "Crazy Tonight" imo

In Q Magazine it is ... "Get On Your Boots" I don't see any reason to think they're wrong.

Back
Top Bottom