Quote from Adam on U218/new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greenlight

The Fly
The Sun has a couple of articles about U2 today
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,4-2006520642,00.html
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,4-2006520645,00.html
One includes this quote from Adam:

Bass player Adam Clayton, who plans to wed long-term partner Susie Smith next year, is also excited about the band’s new album — and revealed how they picked which tracks to include on the 18 Singles collection, which is out on November 20.

He said: “We basically looked at all the radio playlists from around the world and worked out which songs people seem to like best and put them on the CD.

“We will write a new album next year — and it will probably take us a year — but it’s what we love doing.”

Now. the Sun isn't known for its accuracy but the reporter is obviously a fan and it looks as if it is a direct quote. I don't know if radio playlists are an accurate indication of the most popular songs though but it confirms they were just looking for the best known hits to put on the CD.
Looks as if we will also have a while to wait for the new album if they have got to write it next year.

I've just realised there is a thread in Pleba on the article so Mods please merge if need be.

Last edited:
2007 will be a dark year for the world if U2 puts off a new album...4 years again? Let's hope not.

U2 and a holiday release go together.

So with Rubin at the helm (and given how in demand he is, I doubt he will spend 2 years just with U2), I can see a possible holiday release in '07. Under Rubin, U2 may fly in the studio.

However, given U2's passion for "perfection" and their overall slow pace, my guess is that it'll be a holiday release in '08. U2 could throw me for a loop and have a spring/summer release. But the last two times they did this ("Zooropa" summer of '93, "Pop" spring of '97), they had their two weakest selling albums in the post-JT era. So I think they'll push for another holiday release (as it worked so well for R&H, AB, ATYCLB, HTDAAB and both "Best Of" releases, and most likely this upcoming "U218").

Hence, fall of '08 is my guess. And if they do tour, that gives U2 until '09 to get the tour going. Even better, it'll be past the elections in the U.S., so U2 won't be accused of any political agendas (there was some of that in '92).

I hope for a 2007 release because i don't want to see them throw away all their work with Rubin and hire Lillywhite to mess everything up :scream:

fna692002 said:
God, if they feel what radios plays is what the fans like, were in trouble.:|

This wasn't made for fans!!! Why is this so hard for people to digest? Compilations are not made for fans, why would they be...:huh:

U2Man said:
I hope for a 2007 release because i don't want to see them throw away all their work with Rubin and hire Lillywhite to mess everything up :scream:

Great post!!!

My sentiments exactly.

The album is not coming in 2007. Don´t get your hopes up, fellas.

Radio playlists bit makes sense........those are arguably the 16 tracks you're most likely to hear on a station (with the possible exception of "Walk On" which really didn't do much in the US)

BigMacPhisto said:
Radio playlists bit makes sense........those are arguably the 16 tracks you're most likely to hear on a station (with the possible exception of "Walk On" which really didn't do much in the US)
Again, where's 'Angel of Harlem'? Not including 'The Saints' and 'Window in the Skies', there still remains quite a few songs on U218 that get less airplay than 'Angel of Harlem'.

Last edited:
Reggie Thee Dog said:
We're all missing the big ticket item here:

Adam's getting married!!

:lol:

That has been common knowledge round these parts for months now.

People, don't be silly. 2008 is when the next U2 album will come out. Paul McG even said in the U2 by U2 book they will never release an album any other time than fall. Even if it's done in February of 2008, they'll continue to fuck with it until Fall of 2008. There is NO WAY they will be done by the end of 2007. NO WAY in the world. Please stop doing this to yourselves.

:hmm: Today U2place.com also says Adam was interviewed for the Sun but they claim he said this:

- he is getting married in the summer of 2007
- 2007 will be a lot of work for the band, the general idea is to release the album in oct/nov 2007 and to go back on tour in 2008

If it is 2008 for the new album, that means they will attempt to release *something* in fall 2007 -- probably something from the vaults. Could very well be the DVD of PopMart.

Expecting 2008. Hoping 2007. I agree that this band will only release material for the late Fall market. Really, this means that they have 8-9 months from now to get an album together. Does that sound like the U2 you know? :|

Back
Top Bottom