Q Magazine - U2 in October 2008 - In the studio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To offer some perspective:

The Elevation Tour ended in December 2001. Bomb wasn't released until November 2004. Nearly three years.

The Vertigo tour ended in December 2006. The album is about to come in November 2008. That's less than two years.

If anything, they're ahead of schedule.

so....if U2 do release the album within the next few months, which I think they will, how will this compare to AB in terms of keeping the album secretive or whatever...Do you guys consider the lead up to this album as quiet and as secretive as AB was?

so....if U2 do release the album within the next few months, which I think they will, how will this compare to AB in terms of keeping the album secretive or whatever...Do you guys consider the lead up to this album as quiet and as secretive as AB was?

Well, I doubt any of us had the internet back then with as much access and information we have now.

Back then we knew nothing until we heard something from someone on the radio or MTV news.. We didn't even know what the band looked like at the time, what the album would be called, etc... Then we didn't have articles with song titles, we didn't have Bono blasting songs from his beach house, etc.

i wouldn't call the period leading up to ab to be too secretive. sure, we didn't get to find out every little bit of info like we do now thanks to the net, but we did have the salome set leak well before the album's release date.

The Elevation Tour ended in December 2001. Bomb wasn't released until November 2004. Nearly three years.

The Vertigo tour ended in December 2006. The album is about to come in November 2008. That's less than two years.

exactly. :D

Oct 2000 - Nov 2004

Nov 2004 - Christmas 2008/January 2009

Sounds to be about the same gap we had the last time.

Or entering the Olympics for the best band.

I guess it suits Bono's work and their family lives better but I wish they'd be more profficient...

courtesy of djrlewis from U2start

2813542075_84ab47fc50_b.jpg

I'm going to make an assumption here....bare with me on this one.

Since we've already heard that they recorded a video for "No Line on the Horizon", add to that the fact that they've already registered the domain name: nolineonthehorizon.com, and it was mentioned that Bono played it proudly to a reporter during a ride in a car during an interview...isn't pretty safe to say that the first single will be: No Line on the Horizon?

Yes, we've heard the "rumors" of SEXY BOOTS, KNOCKIN DA BOOTS, or GET ON YOUR BOOTS or whatever...but outside of rumors, not one bit of CONCRETE evidence really points to that single leading off as the intro to the album....just rumors. No video, no domain name, no mention of it being played to anyone in a car, etc.

The description for NLOTH even caters it to be a perfect lead single: "heavy distortion fills the car" and "mellow title refrain" (or however it was mentioned) It seems like a song
that will be somewhat similar to "The Fly" and quite possibly the perfect introduction to a potentially groundbreaking album....or huge letdown...but I digress. :wink:

Just a thought.

For those that are worried about not hearing anything yet, I noticed that The Killers have an album out in November but haven't yet set an actual release date (although the title has been confirmed). Metallica didn't announce their release date and details until about 6 weeks out. So it's not like you always have to know the album title, release date and track listing 3 months before release. We have 2.5 months before mid-November... If it gets down to less than 2 months and we still haven't heard anything, well, then I'll be worried.

Exactly...you're 100% Metallica's new album produced by Rick Rubin
had fianlly finished the mastering process just at the beginning of this month(August) and it's coming out Sept. 12th....so for some people to jump the gun about not hearing any new info on the U2 album at this stage is ridiculous considering it's not due out until Nov 18th.

I 100% believe this album will be out in the fall...barring some major catastrophe there is no way U2 will release an album in the dead months of January or Feb. which are cold sales months for albums after the holiday season.

Well the only argument I might make there was the U2 family related illness that pushed the last leg of the Vertigo tour back...otherwise they would have finished that tour way earlier than December 2006

For all of the people being worried about the album coming out in 2009, reading the article it is clear that this is not a quote from Edge, but a comment from the journalist who wrote the piece. So it really does not mean much. Plus like many have said before, as far as everyone knows U2 has been out of the studio for many weeks. I am one of those who think that they are keeping things low-key on purpose, and will surprise us soon. This seem to be a trend in the music industry lately.

Other very interesting piece of news: Eno and Lanois officially listed as co-writers. That would be a first, and good news IMO.

Just a quick question: Isn't the Killers' first single already on the radio? I thought it was the one where they sing "I've got soul but I'm not a soldier..." right? GREAT SONG, BTW!

If so, then it makes sense that their album is out in November.

So then it sounds like U2 is far behind schedule for a November release giving that they don't even have their single out on the radio yet.

Just a quick question: Isn't the Killers' first single already on the radio? I thought it was the one where they sing "I've got soul but I'm not a soldier..." right? GREAT SONG, BTW

:lol: Sorry, no. That song is from 2004. I'm not even sure if their new album is finished yet.

Thanks for the correction.

I thought I'd heard it before. Still a great song. I didn't think it was on "Sam's Town" what album is it on?

So they don't have a single out yet? Hmmm....maybe there is hope yet.

It's from Hot Fuss. Great album.

Anyway, no, in an NME article dated August 19 (though the interview was likely taken well before that), Brandon Flowers said that the music for their album is "97% done" and the lyrics are "30% done". Not sure how that bodes for a Killers release in November.

It's from Hot Fuss. Great album.

Anyway, no, in an NME article dated August 19 (though the interview was likely taken well before that), Brandon Flowers said that the music for their album is "97% done" and the lyrics are "30% done". Not sure how that bodes for a Killers release in November.

I've got to check out "Hot Fuss". I hate to admit it, because I've scolded people for doing this with U2, but I've heard mostly singles from the Killers and not much of their albums. :reject:

I really like their sound, and their music and have to get out of that habit and get their albums.

That being said...how the hell do they have only 30% of the lyrics done at this point????

Did he lose a suitcase or something? :wink:

Well the only argument I might make there was the U2 family related illness that pushed the last leg of the Vertigo tour back...otherwise they would have finished that tour way earlier than December 2006

Um, that's not an argument. That's the reason why it ended in 12/06.

I'm going to make an assumption here....bare with me on this one.

Since we've already heard that they recorded a video for "No Line on the Horizon", add to that the fact that they've already registered the domain name: nolineonthehorizon.com, and it was mentioned that Bono played it proudly to a reporter during a ride in a car during an interview...isn't pretty safe to say that the first single will be: No Line on the Horizon?

Yes, we've heard the "rumors" of SEXY BOOTS, KNOCKIN DA BOOTS, or GET ON YOUR BOOTS or whatever...but outside of rumors, not one bit of CONCRETE evidence really points to that single leading off as the intro to the album....just rumors. No video, no domain name, no mention of it being played to anyone in a car, etc.

The description for NLOTH even caters it to be a perfect lead single: "heavy distortion fills the car" and "mellow title refrain" (or however it was mentioned) It seems like a song
that will be somewhat similar to "The Fly" and quite possibly the perfect introduction to a potentially groundbreaking album....or huge letdown...but I digress. :wink:

Just a thought.

well, yes....it's a pretty safe bet to say NLOTH will be the lead single....especiallly if the album name is NLOTH...which I hope it is not...but anyway....

Just as many suspected. That interview had to have been done moons ago.

They wrapped the album in July, I believe.

Fall 2008 still looks good.

Was going to say, they mention them recording in Dublin, when we all now know it has moved to EZE,

this was done months ago imo

Something interesting from the article is that Moment of Surrender is an 8 minute song. :ohmy:If this is true it would be their longest song of any released on a studio album. No other song has even hit the 7 minute mark. Lemon was just under 7. This song is sounding more epic every time I hear something new about it. Can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom