Pre-Album Tour/Road-testing (what if?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's interesting the way different bands work. A lot of the bands I listen to are of the sort that tour all the time, whether there is a new album or not. As songs are worked up by the band, they make their way into the set. Sometimes they are played frequently. Sometimes, just once or twice. Sometimes those songs end up on the next album. Sometimes it's a few albums down the pike. And sometimes they never make it to an album. Sometimes the studio version is drastically different than the original, and sometimes it is just a polished version.

It would be cool if U2 did something like that, rather than sticking to their own formula, and a setlist that is (for the most part) static. If they were to work up tons of songs and rotate them on a nightly basis, that would not only be a welcome treat for the concertgoer and boot collector, but it would also keep the band on its toes.

My other favorite band in the world, Phish, rarely retired a song from its live show and, by the time they split up, went on the road with a list of almost 400 different songs, that could be pulled out at any time. They were also a band whose fans would slay them if they played the same song two nights in a row, or even in the same week, which would never work for U2, but it's still an interesting basis.

Of course, the two bands are of completely different musical universes (linked together only by Steve Lillywhite) and U2's formula seems to work for them, so I shall shut up now and continue salivating for the new album....

I like how the Rolling Stones mixed up their last (?) tour. In a lot of cities they played tiny venues alongside the stadiums. One of the cities they did this in was Sydney. Played Telstra Stadium (capacity 80K, and where U2 played) as well as a small gig in the Enmore Theatre (capacity 4K). It was formally announced only 48hrs earlier (although it was the worlds worst kept secret). Tickets only went on sale 24hrs beforehand. You could only buy them in person from a couple of outlets. You were immediately given a wrist band with your details printed on it, which, along with extra ID, you still needed to have on you when you rocked up the next night for the gig. 1 x ticket per person only. They claimed 0% scalping – which would be key. Ticketing caused no mad bedlam, and the Stones in a small venue is about as close to U2 in a small venue as you can get for huge public interest. I think it would be crazy, but not *that* bad.

And imagine if you got a ticket…. I think it would also totally open U2 up to a different kind of setlist as well. They’d know that all 4K were at the big stadium gig the night before, and are the hardcore faithful. No need to run through With or Without You again, great opportunity to throw the greatest hits out the window and run through a set of, well, anything else.

i think they said before there'd be no point doing a completely 'unplugged' gig since they have a little unplugged bit during the middle of every show.

Back
Top Bottom