One thing you really wanna know about the new album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can I have a distorted tape of Edge playing scales?

That's all any true fan needs to get through the day.

There was a funny reference in a recent REM article. Maybe New York Times? Stipe was remembering introducing "Man Sized Wreath" as probably a b-side at those Dublin warm-up shows. Bono was in the audience and hollered out, "There's no such thing as b-sides anymore!"

I wouldn't hold your breath for b-sides.

As an answer for the following question you can not say..."Edge is on fire" "Molten metal" "Punk Rock from Venus"
What is the sound you are aiming for on this album?

ahittle said:
There was a funny reference in a recent REM article. Maybe New York Times? Stipe was remembering introducing "Man Sized Wreath" as probably a b-side at those Dublin warm-up shows. Bono was in the audience and hollered out, "There's no such thing as b-sides anymore!"

As early as the late 80s B-sides were on the way out, but U2 released singles with valid B-sides well after that. Vertigo seems to have been the last single with legit B-sides -- "Are You Gonna Wait" and "Neon Lights." Since then it's been remixes and live cuts -- though it was nice of the band to include Tower of Song on the WITS single.

Would be nice to see them return to form as far as bonus tracks, but having been together 30 years, I'm willing to bet it's a challenge for them to just write enough solid songs for an album. They don't like to repeat themselves, and Edge has gone on record as saying that they don't pursue songs just for the sake of an interesting sound anymore, which probably invalidates a lot of material (a la the experimentation of the Unforgettable Fire B-sides).

Edge has gone on record as saying that they don't pursue songs just for the sake of an interesting sound anymore

Chill Mike D said:

Well what in the hell else would you pursue a song for? What is he talking about?

I can't believe anybody in U2 saying anything relatively close to that. They're all about a new sound, everythng bono has said (and some may think the man just says stuff but i believe him) has gone on record saying that they're making new sounds that never been heard before.

If...If edge would not care about making any new interesting sound anymore than by all means he should quit....

ahittle said:

:mad:

Chill Mike D said:

Well what in the hell else would you pursue a song for? What is he talking about?

As I recall Edge said that around the time of ATYCLB -- that it was songs they were going after, as opposed to just kind of jamming and exploring. They were trying to be much more dedicated about the craft of the song. It might not apply now...who knows?

I want to know what the knockout Ballad is!

All good U2 Albums have a magnificent Ballad on them.

Honestly, I'd like to know if in making this album if it was more important to push themselves further as musicians and artists than making something for the fans that will really sell.

That wouldn't tell me if the album was good or bad but it would be interesting to know.

will you not follow the crappy current music industry standard of Dynamic Range compression like you did with your last 2 albums

wow Mercy seems to be drawing a lot of attention for the new album....can someone make a poll please on whether or not you want mercy on the new album? Or a poll with some options on what you think of the song...i'd be interested in seeing...:hmm:

I think Mercy would be absolutely epic live though...especially if they improved it...I mean could you just imagine that opening guitar riff and that entire intro? The crowd would go totally nuts...and I think it would be so unbelievably good live that I wouldn't mind it taking a spot on the new album....rather than it becoming a b-side or something like that :shrug:

Will the album require the shows to have special themes like Achtung Baby needed ZooTV, or like Pop needed Popmart? Are there possibilities of new alter-egos?

As for Bono yelling out "there's no such thing as b-sides any more", that doesn't mean we won't get new songs on the singles. Maybe he just meant technically, since there's no side B on a CD.

U2 has always been pretty good with b-sides, I'd be surprised if they stopped now. The lack of them on the Bomb singles after Vertigo might be because of the Itunes boxset. If they didn't do that we might have seen Smile, Xanax and Wine, Native Son, Levitate, Love You Like Mad, Flower Child etc as b-sides instead.

Back
Top Bottom