Now Mercy is going to be on the new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The_Edge89 said:

"Take You Down" I think was the title on the Salome sessions bootleg. I don't know if that's what you asked for.

I always thought that "Take You Down" was what turned into "Lady With The Spinning Head". "The Fly" and "Ultraviolet".

Aygo said:

I always thought that "Take You Down" was what turned into "Lady With The Spinning Head". "The Fly" and "Ultraviolet".

Well, Bono sings wake up dead man on that track as well as on "She's Gonna Turn Your Head Around/Blow Your House Down" so it could've originated from either of those two tracks.

The_Edge89 said:

Well, Bono sings wake up dead man on that track as well as on "She's Gonna Turn Your Head Around/Blow Your House Down" so it could've originated from either of those two tracks.

Well, maybe the lyrics had its origins there but... Melodically (and structurally) it doesn't seem to have much to do with the "Wake Up Dead Man" we all know from Pop.:shrug:

I think we only hear the lyrical ideas for WUDM on the Salome outtakes....She's gonna blow your house down was its own song with origins from Rattle and Hum and the other song turned into the trifecta (fly, lady, and ultra). bono often doesn't have lyrics for jams so he just uses words from other songs. ex.-"fast cars" the line-came from an original outtake of Vertigo.

Aygo said:

Well, maybe the lyrics had its origins there but... Melodically (and structurally) it doesn't seem to have much to do with the "Wake Up Dead Man" we all know from Pop.:shrug:

Yeah, I wasn't implying otherwise, really.
I simply stated that the line was in those two outtakes. ;)

Aygo said:

Actually, after listening to it again, I have to disagree and say that I can hear a very similar melody of the actual "Wake Up Dead Man" chorus on the Salome Outtakes.

the tourist said:

Actually, after listening to it again, I have to disagree and say that I can hear a very similar melody of the actual "Wake Up Dead Man" chorus on the Salome Outtakes.

If this song gave birth to LWTSH, The Fly and Ultraviolet, and if its melody is very similar to what we can hear on LWTSH... what melodic similarities do you find between this (great) b-side and WUDM?

The "Take You Down" demo which we're talking about is the song that was the seed for 3 different songs:

- "Lady with the spinning head" - the closest one to the demo, instrumentally
- "The Fly" - which has evident similarities (solo, intro, outro/solo)
- "Ultraviolet" - the bridge/middle-eight is the same one (instrumentally) from the demo.

Aygo said:

If this song gave birth to LWTSH, The Fly and Ultraviolet, and if its melody is very similar to what we can hear on LWTSH... what melodic similarities do you find between this (great) b-side and WUDM?

The part where Bono is actually singing "Wake up... Wake up dead man" during the outtakes. Not the whole song. Just the one line.

Aygo said:
^ A line in the whole lyrics... Wow!:shrug:

So, I take it you've either never heard the Salome tapes or can't put two and two together. The melody from the Salome tapes song is the same, on those lyrics, as the melody of the Pop album version. Do I need to fucking edit the 30 second sound byte out for you? Or tell you exactly at what second to listen to? Come on.

Track 11, disc 2, Salome Tapes, She's Gonna Blow Your House Down/Wake Up Dead Man. Listen to it. :up:

the tourist said:
Track 11, disc 2, Salome Tapes, She's Gonna Blow Your House Down/Wake Up Dead Man. Listen to it. :up:

:up: That's the third take of "She's Gonna Turn Your Head Around" on that disc, right?

Last edited:
I believe so, yes. iTunes had a wanky tracklist. It doesn't match up to interference's discography, but I believe it was that.

the tourist said:

So, I take it you've either never heard the Salome tapes or can't put two and two together. The melody from the Salome tapes song is the same, on those lyrics, as the melody of the Pop album version. Do I need to fucking edit the 30 second sound byte out for you? Or tell you exactly at what second to listen to? Come on.

I own the Salome tapes too.

How can the melody of "Lady With the Spinning Head" (that is almost exactly the same of that specific demo) be similar to the melody on Pop's last track? There are just NO similarities.

The same goes for "She's Gonna Blow Your House Down". There's no similarities. Neither in the chord progression.

At what second? For God's sake!... "Salome" and "Levitate" have the same melody and bassline and that doesn't make them similar...

Lyrically? I can accept that. Musically? No way...

Aygo said:

I own the Salome tapes too.

How can the melody of "Lady With the Spinning Head" (that is almost exactly the same of that specific demo) be similar to the melody on Pop's last track? There are just NO similarities.

The same goes for "She's Gonna Blow Your House Down". There's no similarities. Neither in the chord progression.

At what second? For God's sake!... "Salome" and "Levitate" have the same melody and bassline and that doesn't make them similar...

Lyrically? I can accept that. Musically? No way...

Ummm, I don't know why you're bringing Lady With The Spinning Head up at all. I'm talking about She's Gonna Blow Your House Down/Wake Up Dead Man. I don't know what the hell you're talking about. Throughout the entire track I mentioned, he sings the Wake Up Dead Man line quite a bit. His melody is very similar to the Pop song Wake Up Dead Man. Where the lyrics meet up on the two songs (the "Chorus"), the MELODY is very similar. Very similar. The same? No. Similar. Very. Similar. Not the same. And why are you bringing up Salome and Levitate? Trying to change the subject? Why don't you go listen to the track I pointed out. Listen to the part where he sings "You better wake up, better wake up dead man, better/gotta find a new plan, better wake up dead man." It's, again and again and again, a very similar melody to what he sings on the Pop song during the "chorus." And with that, I'm done. If you don't do this, your argument from here on out is moot.

Haha I wonder if the song that lady heard at HQ was Mercy and she just didn't know it's already out there! :tongue:

EXACTLY.

I'm so sick of Mercy that a little bit of bile builds up on the back of my tongue each time I read about it.

So overrated and not good enough to be on an album IMO. I just wish it would go away for ever.

I second that. It sounds like a b-side, not an album track.

Move on, people!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom